PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

William T.
08-20-05, 07:41 PM
Yes that is me. :D I live on Coopers Creek in north Ga. Am a life long resident of 52 years. Got out of fishing a few years back but I have a couple of grandsons that live with me and the oldest one loves to fish. So I am back at it again. I mostly fish with spinners and Rapala type lures. Barbs filed off and at least one of the hooks cut off. It is taken me a while to get the hang of keeping the trout on these barbless hooks but I will master it soon. I could do like they do on TV and have someone scoop them up with a net.LOL!!!!!!! Love fishing small streams and tomorrow I am going to fish one that very few people know about and the ones that do fish the lower end. Catch a rainbow out of there and it will be bright red all over. Did join Trout Unlimited. Oh well thats enough about me. :D

Windknot
08-20-05, 09:14 PM
Glad to have you join us! When fishing barbless spinners, be sure to keep the line tight to the fish. If they get the slightest bit of slack they can use the weight of the spinner itself to sling that puppy ten feet. If I replace a treble with a single hook (during Delayed Harvest), I usually jump the size quite a bit, and that seems to help keep them buttoned up.

I can't wait 'til my granddaughter grows a bit so she can fish with me. She's bunking with us tonight, and watched me put a rod in the car for a quick trip to a Gwinnett lake in the morning, and started moaning and groaning about going with grampa. Enjoy them!
Don

Tom
08-21-05, 04:28 AM
Already feel close! We had two young ladies from Suches in our Trout Camp at Rabun Gap Nacoochee School this summer; and, a friend who is with the Forest Service, Jerry Woods, lives in your neck of the woods. Our TU Chapter in Rabun County meets on the third Tuesday each month, give us a visit!:)

William T.
08-21-05, 06:35 AM
Glad to have you join us! When fishing barbless spinners, be sure to keep the line tight to the fish. If they get the slightest bit of slack they can use the weight of the spinner itself to sling that puppy ten feet. If I replace a treble with a single hook (during Delayed Harvest), I usually jump the size quite a bit, and that seems to help keep them buttoned up.

I can't wait 'til my granddaughter grows a bit so she can fish with me. She's bunking with us tonight, and watched me put a rod in the car for a quick trip to a Gwinnett lake in the morning, and started moaning and groaning about going with grampa. Enjoy them!
Don

Nothing like grandkids. You are right it just takes a little slack and they are gone. If they run up stream on you it is just about over with. When they come back down stream it is hard to keep the slack out of the line.

William T.
08-21-05, 06:46 AM
Already feel close! We had two young ladies from Suches in our Trout Camp at Rabun Gap Nacoochee School this summer; and, a friend who is with the Forest Service, Jerry Woods, lives in your neck of the woods. Our TU Chapter in Rabun County meets on the third Tuesday each month, give us a visit!:)

I would like to fish some of the streams in Rabun. When I am out riding the motorcycle I need to throw my fishng stuff on it. Going towards S.C. on 28 just looks like there would be some fine places to hang into a nice trout. This area has been taken over by people who are moving here from the flatlands. The first thing they do on their little spot of land is to put up posted signs. There are still a few local land owners that will let you fish but they are diappearing in a hurry. Before to long we will just have the USFS to fish and it is crowded in the Coopers Creek area.

Rick Padgett
08-23-05, 12:28 PM
Glad to have you aboard! Maybe we'll meet up stream side soon.

Rick