PDA

View Full Version : Hello NGTO!!

pequod
11-08-05, 07:57 PM
Just wanted to jump into NGTO headfirst. My name is Preston Sutter and I am a junior at the University of Alabama. I grew up in north Atlanta and Alpharetta. I work for the Orvis Company when I am on break from school. Come see me this thanksgiving and Christmas season (if you want to brave the traffic.) I am familiar with most of the waters you mention on this forum and I just got back from living in Boca Grande, Florida for the summer working for the local fly shop.

I am always up for a fishing trip. ( will skip class, dates w/ girlfriend, my own funeral, etc.)

I have been reading the posts on this site for about a year but have only recently become computer-literate enough to join. I wish you all the best and safest Georgia trout fishing over the next month. Until then, I will be writing papers concerning "the benefits of a free market economy" and "Kennan's theory of communist containment in the western hemisphere." Trust me, I would rather be on the river.

Hope to hear from all of you soon.

Preston Sutter

P.S. I just entered the Field and Stream Young Writers Contest for the second year in a row. I got runner up last year and was published on their website for my essay about south Georgia quail hunting with my grandfather entitled "Bobwhites and Sinatra." This year, I entered a story titled "Autumn's Reprieve" about fishing the Soque river with Tom Wilbanks, a native of Clarksville. Everybody keep your fingers crossed and we may have a nationally-published article about trout fishing in north Georgia. ( I know that any prize money will be thoughtfully squandered on flies and tippet.)

thought I would put a face with the name.

http://tinypic.com/ffcxu0.jpg

Windknot
11-08-05, 08:16 PM
I love the board name!

pequod
11-08-05, 08:52 PM
I decided on Pequod because I just finished reading Herman Melville's "Moby ****." As the name of the ship that carries Ahab in search of "the catch of his life," I figured it would serve to carry me in search of my greatest fish, too.
My dad and I are considering building a Mckenzie-style drift boat from a Kit sold by Greg Tatman. By summer of 2006, you may spot the "Pequod" on the Chattahoochee and other rivers of the southeast. Thanks for the quick response to my first post on NGTO.

Preston Sutter

Grizzz
11-08-05, 09:05 PM
Preston,

Glad to have you around. We look forward to your posts. Now watch for some of the trips around here and come join us. The first one is Thanksgiving Weekend. Check it out under the Events section.

pequod
11-08-05, 09:12 PM
Mr. President,

As it usually seems to be, Thanksgiving week will require me to SELL fly fishing equipment rather than USE it. I will be working for Paul Range at the Orvis Company shop in Buckhead and good ole' "Black Friday" always turns out to bring in the bucks. I would rather be fishing the Nantahala and eating some home-cooked food but corporate america requires that I meet the demands of the over-eager consumer as the onslaught of Christmas buying shift into fifth gear. Hopefully I can make a little beer money and meet up with you guys on another trip.

Cold weather never killed anybody...well, not too many people, so if anyone is interested, I would be up for a Christmas break trip somewhere. Thank you again for greeting me as a new member of NGTO.

Preston