http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/FernValleyBanner_2014.gif
http://georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/2012NovNGTOBanner.gif

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

51K Trout Killed at Hatchery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I second that Buck. And thereís a major difference between harvesting fish, having it die in a matter of minutes, or slowly letting fish suffocate over the course of many hours. I was always taught that itís not right to let ANY animal suffer needlessly.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Isaac H View Post
      I second that Buck. And there’s a major difference between harvesting fish, having it die in a matter of minutes, or slowly letting fish suffocate over the course of many hours. I was always taught that it’s not right to let ANY animal suffer needlessly.
      Much more humane to let them suffocate in 80 degree water over the course of the summer.

      Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
      It befuddles me how anyone can brush this off as no big deal. This was a shameful criminal act regardless of the motivation and a grand waste of resources on many levels. I guess death is death at the end of the day. But I don't see how any one could find moral equivalence between how these fish died and fish being stocked in the DH for our fishing pleasure.
      The DH is not a grand waste of resources at a much bigger level? Moral sadism knowing the fish died for your pleasure. Can't complain tho, as it keeps you buckhead fat cats from driving the extra 15 minutes to chase wild fish in the peak of season.

      Unfuddled
      Last edited by GoutUnlimited; 06-08-18, 03:28 PM.
      We are the music-makers,
      And we are the dreamers of dreams,
      Wandering by lone sea-breakers
      And sitting by desolate streams;
      World losers and world forsakers,
      On whom the pale moon gleams.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
        Much more humane to let them suffocate in 80 degree water over the course of the summer.

        According to USGS the DH as far south as Vinings stays well below 80 most of the year, and only hits 80 a few times every few years. Not ideal, but probably not lethal. Iím sure more are taken out by stripers And poachers.



        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Isaac H View Post
          According to USGS the DH as far south as Vinings stays well below 80 most of the year, and only hits 80 a few times every few years. Not ideal, but probably not lethal. Iím sure more are taken out by stripers And poachers.



          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          IF was pretty consistent in the mid 70-80 last year and the fishing suffered drastically. Canít imagine itís was cooler than that below Morgan Falls. Hopefully they maintain some sort of regular flows throughout the summer.
          We are the music-makers,
          And we are the dreamers of dreams,
          Wandering by lone sea-breakers
          And sitting by desolate streams;
          World losers and world forsakers,
          On whom the pale moon gleams.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by troutbum69 View Post
            Wait didn't this exact same thing happen a year or two ago? Some kids wandered in and were turning valves and cut off the inflow of water?


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            It happened at the Armstrong Hatchery in Marion, NC back in 2015. 150k fish killed from some drunk dudes crankin' knobs with a load on.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by fishmonger View Post
              I think it is actually pretty obvious why someone would do this, they don't like stocked trout. That means someone that is a wild trout nut, and has an anarchistic streak.

              FM
              When this happened in NC, it was just drunks playing around. They didn't even realize they'd shut off the water.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
                This is pretty sickening we can all agree but pretty tame compared to the 1/4 million trout genocide that happens in the DH annually.
                I mean, on some level stockers are simply born for fryin'.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Isaac H View Post
                  I second that Buck. And thereís a major difference between harvesting fish, having it die in a matter of minutes, or slowly letting fish suffocate over the course of many hours. I was always taught that itís not right to let ANY animal suffer needlessly.
                  Isn't "needless suffering" part of the definition of catch-and-release fishing? As refined as the image of trout fishing is, we ought not forget that it is, at its heart, a blood sport.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Dylar View Post
                    I mean, on some level stockers are simply born for fryin'.


                    Yep.
                    I sent a picture of Spencer and my trouts on the stringer to my favorite DNR rep. His response, "the intended purpose of a stocker. Enjoy!"


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      When I saw this story I thought ďwhat the heck did they do with 51,000 dead and stinking fish?Ē


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      "What's his offense?"
                      "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
                      ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Trout8myfly View Post
                        When I saw this story I thought ďwhat the heck did they do with 51,000 dead and stinking fish?Ē


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


                        I'm sure a fish oil salesman was on the phone pretty quick. Or fertilizer maybe


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                        -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

                        "Stop Whining"

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X