X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
    Toccoa River Watch

This thread is being created to serve as a place for all of us to track the developments on the Toccoa tailwater as they occur regarding the Lake Blue ridge draw-down and resulting threat to the Toccoa river fishery.

This is not a place to vent about the drawdown, argue about river access rights, etc. The purpose of this thread is to allow us to exchange and relate current information so that we might stay informed on the realities of the situation and be better prepared to deal with and assist in helping to preserve this and similar fisheries in the future.

Please post your streamside observations, temperature data, etc in this thread so that we can have a consolidated source of information to refer to. The health of one of one of Georgia's great tailwaters is at stake here and we need to stay informed and share information so that we can better influence and assist with decisions concerning this and future lake draw downs.
    If you are not providing data or direct observations, take it to another thread. There are about 3 of them already started.
    If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

Like others have said the draw down is neccessary. The fish that will die as a result of that certainly is unfortunate. I think it is even harder for those who consider the Toccoa their "home river". The bright side is that the the trout fishery is a renewable resource. With a little time and effort it will return. I can remember on drought years on the Hiawasse tailwater experiencing a similar (but not the same) thing. It's just tough for those who keep the river close to watch it happen, but it will return.

Comment

Originally posted by F.A.R.R. View Post
        Like others have said the draw down is neccessary. The fish that will die as a result of that certainly is unfortunate. I think it is even harder for those who consider the Toccoa their "home river". The bright side is that the the trout fishery is a renewable resource. With a little time and effort it will return. I can remember on drought years on the Hiawasse tailwater experiencing a similar (but not the same) thing. It's just tough for those who keep the river close to watch it happen, but it will return.
        I think the biggest reason this issue is such a hot one is that while the draw-down was unavoidable, the fish kill (and potential bug kill) WAS avoidable. While you can dump more fish into the river, we can't re-stock the famous sulfur hatches which feed the fish.

Anyway, to the point...

A couple of mornings ago we took temps. at all three public accesses, here are the results.

dam - 76 deg.
        Curtis Switch - 76 deg.
        Horseshoe Bend - 76 deg.

These readings were taken about 10am.

The interesting thing is that, in the morning at least, the temperatures were no longer rising the further downstream you go. With night time temps in the low 50's and the feeder creeks cooling more quickly than the lake, we might actually see a cooling trend from the dam to Horseshoe Bend. Keep your fingers crossed for a hand from mother nature and maybe we can hang on to a few of those wild browns.
        www.oysterbamboo.com

Comment

I'm afraid she's done!

Water temp at my place yesterday ( Hogback area ) was 77 at 6pm ( during generation ). No sign of fish whatsoever. This morning it was 74 at 7am ( no generation ). I spoke with 6 fishermen floating the river and all reported zero trout caught, zero trout seen. One did say he had caught 2 suckers and 2 bream. This is very sad. May take a few years, but it will come back. Don't underestimate mother nature!

Comment

observed

Riley and I floated the river on low water today from about the midpoint between Tammen and Curtis Switch, to our take-out at Curtis Switch, taking measurements and looking (not fishing) for fish. Here is what we found...

Temp. at 10am two miles below Tammen (no generation) = 74 deg.

Temp. at 1:30 take-out at Curtis Switch (no generation) = 75 deg.

We observed a handful of trout during our 3.5 hour float. All of them appeared to be brown trout (rainbows nowhere to be seen) and all were clearly struggling (mouth open, very unresponsive).

When we returned to get the drop-off car the river had come up. It was chocolate milk brown and the temp. = 77.5 deg.

Freestone streams in the area (at similar elevations) are running in the mid 60's, so while mother nature is clearly doing her job, it could be awhile before she can overcome the inflated temps. created by the draw-down.
            www.oysterbamboo.com

Comment

Horrible Day

My buddy , his son , and me floated from curtis switch to the park today.Caught 4 Horny heads and seen only 1 14" rainbow. I felt like I had been punched in the throat , gut , and groin at the same time. See ya in a few years Toccoa. If there is anything I can do to help restore it just let me know because I'll be glad to do my part.

Comment

Been out of town for a while...any new news on the water temps? still dangerous or has it cooled a bit?

-Riley G.
                www.oysterbamboo.com

www.blueridgeflyfishing.com

GO FISH!

Comment

What up Riley G.

How's the Ausable? It's been nasty hot hear for the last week (93 in Atlanta this week). Haven't had the heart to check. Hurry back, your dog misses you!
                  www.oysterbamboo.com

Comment

YIKES!! i dont blame ya for not being able to check. eh it was so so...missed a Leviathan of a brown so pissed....
                    www.oysterbamboo.com

www.blueridgeflyfishing.com

GO FISH!

Comment

Latest on the Toccoa...Emphasizing Importance of this Announcement

Trout Unlimited Hosts Panel on Toccoa Tailwater

​The Toccoa River Tailwater (below Blue Ridge Dam) is a premier trout fishery with enormous importance to the economic, social, and recreational well-being of Fannin County. *Trout fishing and the quality of water in the Toccoa is at risk of collapse as a result of a drawdown of Lake Blue Ridge so the TVA can make essential repairs to the dam and penstock. *Water temperatures and clarity are suffering, and the weather thus far is not cooperating. *The reason the river is in extremis is the timing of the protracted drawdown, which coincided with an unusually hot and dry summer and start to the fall season. * The full extent of damage to the fishery, if any, has yet to be determined. *However, it is not too soon to develop a plan for recovery of the river post-drawdown in order to minimize damage or improve the fishery.
                      ​No one doubts that the dam repairs were needed, and that the TVA carefully considered many factors in timing the drawdown, including weather patterns, safety, environmental impact, and the like, with input from the public and the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. * The question is, however, where do we go from here if trout die and the fishery collapses? *This question and more will be answered in a public forum hosted by Blue Ridge Mountain Trout Unlimited at the Fannin Chamber of Commerce, 9 am, October 9, 2010. *Representatives of the TVA, DNR, Trout Unlimited, and the Chamber of Commerce will comprise a panel to discuss the immediate future of the Toccoa Tailwater and to answer questions from the audience. The purpose of this discussion is not to probe how, why, or when the drawdown was done or to criticize anyone in the process. *This meeting focuses on what can be done from this point forward to protect and restore the fishery.
                      ​Trout Unlimited is an organization dedicated to the preservation, restoration, and protection of coldwater (trout) fisheries like the Toccoa.
                      sigpic

Comment

Let's Show Up Big

Thanks for the info Becky. Everyone with an interest in the Tailwater should come out to this forum and show how important this trout fishery is to the surrounding area. Bring your ideas, questions, suggestions, and preferences for the future of the river. All the important players in managing the river will be there. How this river is managed will depend in part on how important its quality is perceived to be to the surrounding community. I have seen a lot of talk on the forum over the past couple years about this topic specifically, so lets put the talk into visible action. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
                        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::
                        sigpic
                        ::::::::::::::::::Check Out The RJF Blog::::::::::::::::::

Comment

Stopped by Curtis Switch wednesday to check water temp and look for any signs of life. Water temp was 74*. No fish to be seen, little bug life. Even threw a woolly bugger at a couple holes that I can usually pull something out of on a normal day..... nothing.
                          "Even a trout wouldn't get into trouble if it kept its mouth shut."

Comment

Originally posted by JPickett View Post
                            Stopped by Curtis Switch wednesday to check water temp and look for any signs of life. Water temp was 74*. No fish to be seen, little bug life. Even threw a woolly bugger at a couple holes that I can usually pull something out of on a normal day..... nothing.
                            By my best guess, any rainbow you pull out of the river anytime soon is just a recent stocker from the access points. Temps are still reaching the low 70's in the afternoon and DNR has no plans of a full blown re-stocking effort until AFTER temps reach a safe level for a shocking survey (just in case there ARE any fish left to protect. They won't commit to any timeline until after a survey is accomplished.

Bill O.

Comment

Lake Blue Ridge last weekend

very weird to see. Wonder how the fishing is in the remaining water? They must be very stressed...

Comment

Originally posted by sbleiler View Post
                                Lake Blue Ridge last weekend

very weird to see. Wonder how the fishing is in the remaining water? They must be very stressed...
                                Wonder how many 4x4 tracks are appearing ... that actually looks like fun ... although not for the fish.

Comment

Working...
                                X