Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a good opportunity to install some fish structures---pretty barren out there.

Comment

Hope it's not too late, but.......

The water temp this morning about four miles below the dam was just under 65 degrees. That is if the thermometer Chad sold me at Unicoi is any good. Also, that was not even in deep water. Right on the bank in about 6 inches of water.

Comment

I was also at Curtis switch 10/16/10 talked with a guy that fished 2.5 hours not a bite. I checked the water temp at the stairs in the lower park at 10:00 it was 58 deg. Then I went to Horseshoe bend sunday fished from 7:30 until 10:30 not even a bite. I could'nt find a fish to scare either. Water temp was 56 deg. at 8:00am

Comment

I don't think I would run a 4x4 out there. Some of those silted in areas are probably too soft to support anything bigger than a bug. The structure you add could be your 4x4.

Comment

Tailwater Restocking

As mentioned in the following thread:

http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...ad.php?t=82649

we (GADNR and USFWS) have begun restocking the Toccoa tailwater with trout. Thanks again to all the volunteers that have helped thus far, especially Unicoi Outfitters and Blue Ridge TU!

We will continue our efforts over the next few weeks, but there should be enough fish in there now to be able to catch a few. I know that turbidity is still high, but has has anyone tried to fish it yet? The guys who floated with drift boats when we were stocking seemed to think that flow conditions (~390 cfs) were just about perfect for floating through (just enough water to float over the major rocks/shoals). (Edit: I see they are now running near minimum flows which should be good for wading). I would love to hear any recent reports (even if they are bad).
            John Damer
            Fisheries Biologist, Region 1
            GA DNR, Wildlife Resources Division
            P.O. Box 519
            Calhoun, GA 30703
            phone: (706) 624-1161
            fax: (706) 624-1159

Comment

John,

It's nice to see someone like you in charge. Kudos to you for your concern and attention!

Comment

Veterans Day

Day off on Thursday so I'll let you know. And what Rusty said.

Comment

On it's way back!

I didn't get to spend but just a couple hours on the river today, but the efforts of the DNR were obvious. I immediately saw fish rising upon entering the river to what appeared to be some BWO's. (Don't hold me to that but it was good to see a good bit of bug activity). So I just went with a size 16 parachute adams with a dark emerger off the hook. Man, it was good to fill the pull of a fish on the Toccoa again! The catch ratio was about 50/50 on the dry and the emerger. The turbidity does seem to be improving. At least it's gone from brown to green. Fish didn't seem to mind it.

I did manage about a dozen or so with 4 of them being brownies! Thank you DNR. Here is just one sample.

Comment

Browns!!?? We didn't stock any browns in that area. This could be a very good sign!
                    Jimmy Harris
                    Unicoi Liars Club
                    Unicoi Outfitters Online Store

Comment

Re: Browns

Originally posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
                      Browns!!?? We didn't stock any browns in that area. This could be a very good sign!
                      Jimmy, we have stocked a bunch more fish since your crew helped us. Even though "extra" browns are hard to come by in our hatchery system, we were able to find a good number of browns to include in the mix.

I should also point out that the USFWS (Chattahoochee NFH) was kind enough to supply about 325 suplus broostock rainbows averaging over 2 lbs for the tailwater. They may not be quite the same as the large resident fish that were lost, but they are probably not as smart either (easier to catch).

As cucarachafly mentioned, the turbidity is really not that bad right now, but I see that there is rain in the forecast for early next week. If there is significant rainfall on the exposed sediment around the lake, it will probably turn the river to chocolate milk again. If anyone is thinking about fishing the tailwater, do it now! The weekend looks great.

Oh and of course, please post a report or give me a call at 706-624-1161.

Thanks guys.
                      John Damer
                      P.O. Box 519
                      Calhoun, GA 30703

Comment

Thanks for the report Jeff
                        John Damer
                        P.O. Box 519
                        Calhoun, GA 30703

Comment

Curious about bug activity on the tailwater.

It's very encouraging to hear the temps are getting back down, the Oxygen level is going up, and the fish are being restocked in the river!

I'm curious though, as to whether anyone has noticed any difference in bug activity with the lower water temps and increased dissolved oxygen temps. Ultimately it's the level of bug activity that determines the quality of our fishery. We need the bugs to support and grow the fish population.

Comment

Regarding bugs - I've seen a good blue wing olive hatch the last couple of evenings on the tailwater upstream of Curtis Switch - and even better, some rises to them.

The stocking seems to be taking hold. The fish I was able to see up close still looked in very good shape - well-fed and energetic.

Heartfelt thanks to the DNR, Blue Ridge Mountain TU, and our friends at Unicoi!
                            HoWink

"I fish all the time when I'm at home, so when I get a chance to go on a vacation, I make sure to get in plenty of fishing." -- Thomas McGuane

Comment

Drawdown Impacts

Here is a summary by John Damer (fisheries biologist) on the impacts of the drawdown.

Thanks John and Georgia DNR.
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the post Becky, very insightful. Tragic to hear about the loss of fish, esp. the BIG fish. The encouraging news though is the health of the Toccoa before the drawdown, and that we can get back to this level of fishery and beyond in the future with good management. I just want to encourage everyone on NGTO to continue to fight for the Toccoa River. Send emails to those involved (see Becky's post) and get involved with your local TU or the Toccoa Watershed Committee. This is a pivotal time in the life of the river that can set it up for big things in the future.
                                :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::
                                sigpic
                                ::::::::::::::::::Check Out The RJF Blog::::::::::::::::::

Comment

Working...
                                X