Lake Lanier Full Pool Proposal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Lanier Full Pool Proposal

There is an interesting story over on the Lake Lanier Association facebook page concerning a proposal to raise Lanier's full summer pool elevation from 1071 to 1073. If adopted, which is very unlikely, there maybe some downstream consequences. In my conversations with them it seems to be just at the idea stage and mainly benefits the lakeside homeowners and recreation businesses.

Lake Lanier Master Plan project update

Natureman you made an excellent post on their FB page.

If anyone attends the COE open house on The Lake Lanier Master Plan project update please post an update if possible.

The dates and locations are listed
    https://www.facebook.com/lakelaniera...type=3&theater

https://lakelanier.com/2018/01/lake-...r-plan-update/

Comment

Thanks, although I didn't condemn the idea, I don't think folks over there liked what I had to say. I guess some think you can raise the lake 2 feet over full and there are no consequences. They definitely haven't thought things thru and IMO should spend some of their own money to do some preliminary research including downstream user impacts.

Comment

Originally posted by natureman View Post
        In my conversations with them it seems to be just at the idea stage and mainly benefits the lakeside homeowners and recreation businesses.
        From what I have seen throughout the years going back to the Gwinnett County Water Works project on Lake Lanier, the Lake Lanier Association comes across as being only concerned with lakeside homeowners and recreation businesses on Lake Lanier. But then again, that's who they represent.
        If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

My first thoughts when I saw “1073” was “what’s so special about that number? And would it make any difference in drier years?”

My next thought was “and what’s the impact to the shoreline, dam, and structure?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          "What's his offense?"
          "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
          ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

What The EG Said!

" .... From what I have seen throughout the years going back to the Gwinnett County Water Works project on Lake Lanier, the Lake Lanier Association comes across as being only concerned with lakeside homeowners and recreation businesses on Lake Lanier. ...

Amen, Brother. I was deeply involved with this issue via the old Chattahoochee Chapter TU. The Lanier Association was the group holding the view that the best place for the Gwinnett plant output was below the dam as rivers are 'self-cleaning'. It appears they still don't fully grasp the idea that the public owns Lanier, not the homeowners.

Comment

For those that are interested, The Corps is holding public meetings this month concerning Lake Lanier.

https://www.gainesvilletimes.com/new...k-gainesville/
              If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

Originally posted by JOHNKIES View Post
                " .... From what I have seen throughout the years going back to the Gwinnett County Water Works project on Lake Lanier, the Lake Lanier Association comes across as being only concerned with lakeside homeowners and recreation businesses on Lake Lanier. ...

Amen, Brother. I was deeply involved with this issue via the old Chattahoochee Chapter TU. The Lanier Association was the group holding the view that the best place for the Gwinnett plant output was below the dam as rivers are 'self-cleaning'. It appears they still don't fully grasp the idea that the public owns Lanier, not the homeowners.
                Yes, and on top of that they do not actually own the property if recollection serves correctly. Isn't it a long term lease with the COE?
                #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                -PH

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
                  Yes, and on top of that they do not actually own the property if recollection serves correctly. Isn't it a long term lease with the COE?

No, it is not a lease for the public property behind private homes down to the lake. It is a 5 year license permit to have facilities such a a dock, walkway, electric service etc. on public property. If the person doesn't pay the license fee or it is revoked for some reason then the facilities must be removed. The permit does not grant any exclusive use of the property. You would be surprised how many million dollar home owners around Lanier whine about paying the paltry amount for the permit.
                  The COE issues leases to marinas, quasi public clubs, county city parks and Lake Lanier Islands where long term agreements are warranted.

http://www.sam.usace.army.mil/Portal.../Exhibit09.pdf
                  Last edited by natureman; 02-20-18, 10:01 AM.

Comment

...it's... Chinatown...

...follow the money...

Blessings!

Jimmy

P.S. ...great movie, btw...

Comment

Lanier is rarely at full pool.

If it fills up they pull it off. Mussels need water...oysters need water... barges need to be floated...Atlanta needs flushed...Florida needs the water...Alabama needs the water...building a water treatment plant..building a sewer plant....bridge work....Park work....Lake levels down stream need to be raised.....River levels down stream too low....rain may come so it needs to be pulled down....flood control....Atlanta drinking water intake needs flow ....and of course Power Generation (all good reasons to release)

Currently the lake is not at full pool and the projections show pulling it down 3 ft. If 1073 was the full pool then maybe it would be at 1071 more often.

Don't believe it would ever really be at 1073 just like it is never at 1071 now!
                      Lake Lanier & Brevard NC

Comment

1071 is a summer target level the Corps tries to maintain if there is above normal rainfall (it used to be 1070 before they raised it a foot back in the 1960's). 2005, 2010, 2013, and 2014 pretty much on target years during mid-summer.

http://water.sam.usace.army.mil/gage/bufelev.htm

Comment

Originally posted by natureman View Post
                          1071 is a summer target level the Corps tries to maintain if there is above normal rainfall (it used to be 1070 before they raised it a foot back in the 1960's). 2005, 2010, 2013, and 2014 pretty much on target years during mid-summer.

http://water.sam.usace.army.mil/gage/bufelev.htm

Did not realize 1071 was a target.

And only for years where there is above average rainfall.

Looks like moving to 1073 would be good especially if they only hit the target of 1071 4 out of the last 14 years.
                          Lake Lanier & Brevard NC

Comment

As a homeowner on the lake

Natureman, thanks for your incite. Clearly you know what you are talking about and I hope they did not remove your post on FB. I think its important to keep things in perspective coming from Lake Lanier Association. They are paid by homeowners and business interest on the Lake. They are going to push for what is in the best interest of the people that pay them. I do not pay them for the record.

Would two more feet effect me in any negative way, nope. My stairs can handle it and my rip rap can. I am concerned about the additional erosion and the ability for the dams to support it over the long haul. With the pace of COE and Congress this will play out for years to come in discussions. My guess is this will die without even getting the funding for the feasibility study.

Now if you have some connections in the COE office I could use some help getting my permits with electrical added (fish lights) .

Comment

Originally posted by pbertell View Post

Would two more feet effect me in any negative way, nope. My stairs can handle it and my rip rap can. I am concerned about the additional erosion and the ability for the dams to support it over the long haul. With the pace of COE and Congress this will play out for years to come in discussions. My guess is this will die without even getting the funding for the feasibility study. ... .
                              I agree the process would play out for a long time with many lawsuits along the way. The current case being heard by the Supreme Court should shape what is to come. It is interesting that in the 1960s the Corps initiated the summer pool rise from 1070 to 1071 with the stroke of a pen by the District Office to support increased commercial navigation on the Chattahoochee River. Couldn't do that now without a protracted battle.

FYI.. just call the Corps at 770-945-9531, ask for the permits section, and inquire to the status of your permit application.
                              Last edited by natureman; 02-26-18, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X