Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Wars Ruling

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...hts/709578002/

Looks like a win at least for us fishermen.
    We are the music-makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams,
    Wandering by lone sea-breakers
    And sitting by desolate streams;
    World losers and world forsakers,
    On whom the pale moon gleams.

Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...hts/709578002/

Looks like a win at least for us fishermen.
    Why? I think it may eventually, but I am curious why you think so, since the decision produced nothing definitive.

FM
    The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

Originally posted by fishmonger View Post
      Why? I think it may eventually, but I am curious why you think so, since the decision produced nothing definitive.

FM
      Goes back to the Special Master. I'm sure he'll see the error of his ways after he got the "bad dog!" from SCOTUS.
      We are the music-makers,

Comment

Obviously. So, what do you think he will do, or what do you want him to do, that will improve our fishing?

Personally, I am hoping that the COE voluntarily decides to increase the minimum flow from Buford Dam when it is possible and/or reasonable, but as the Special Master noted, the case has no enforcement over the COE because they are not a named party in the lawsuit. It seems like SCOTUS is hoping the same thing, but I agree with Justice Thomas that they have merely kicked the can down the road, and the case will be back in the SCOTUS again at a later date.

FM
        The tug is the drug!

Comment

Obviously. So, what do you think he will do, or what do you want him to do, that will improve our fishing?

Personally, I am hoping that the COE voluntarily decides to increase the minimum flow from Buford Dam when it is possible and/or reasonable, but as the Special Master noted, the case has no enforcement over the COE because they are not a named party in the lawsuit. It seems like SCOTUS is hoping the same thing, but I agree with Justice Thomas that they have merely kicked the can down the road, and the case will be back in the SCOTUS again at a later date.

FM
          This guy is a lawyer. He biggest concern seem to be the language. Seems like the Court disagrees with his finding and he will likely reconsider. The case has notenforcement over the COE...but ultimately the United States does have enforcement over the COE and they will do as told.
          We are the music-makers,

Comment

OK.

So, for the 3rd time: What do you want to see happen, as a result of the case, that will improve our fishing?

FM
            The tug is the drug!

Comment

OK.

So, for the 3rd time: What do you want to see happen, as a result of the case, that will improve our fishing?

FM
              Consistent flows.
              We are the music-makers,

Comment

Except for all the rain right now, we have consistent flows already, unless Lanier cannot support it due to low precipitation, as happened a few years ago, when we had consistent low flows.

I think the new flow regime is too low, due to the recent reduction of the minimum flow as measured at Peachtree Creek. That is consistent, but it is, IMHO, consistently bad, as during drought, so "consistent" is not enough.

I am hoping for higher minimum flows, as I think the extra water helps with dilution of warm/polluted inflows, and I think the riverbed is more "lively" at the higher flows because it wets the whole riverbed, puts more water in the runs, and up the banks a little further.

FM
                The tug is the drug!

Comment

FM

The COE has gone on record several times stating it would abide by the SCOTUS ruling.
                  Last edited by natureman; 06-28-18, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by natureman View Post
                    The COE has gone on record several times stating it abide by the SCOTUS ruling.
                    I wish the ruling had something for them to follow, maybe the Special Master will come up with some numbers this time around.

I really appreciate that you worked for the Corps and are willing to share your insight about them with us, it can be tempting to use them as a "gov't boogieman" when we don't get what we want, in terms of operation of the dam.

Your videos are very cool too.

Thanks for both.

FM
                    The tug is the drug!

Comment

I wish the ruling had something for them to follow, maybe the Special Master will come up with some numbers this time around.

I really appreciate that you worked for the Corps and are willing to share your insight about them with us, it can be tempting to use them as a "gov't boogieman" when we don't get what we want, in terms of operation of the dam.

Your videos are very cool too.

Thanks for both.

FM
                      Thanks for the video compliment. The COE does their job according to their Congressional authorizations and as federal agency they don't take sides. That usually ends up making people unhappy on both ends of the spectrum. I am somewhat biased in my views but IMO Lanier/Buford Dam has some of the best management and support staff in the entire COE. Water release policy is made higher up the chain and the local personnel sometimes end up taking the brunt of any complaints because they are accessible.
                      Last edited by natureman; 06-28-18, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Supreme Court & Other

For what it's worth, the function of the Supreme Court is to decide the law for the case presented. They have no obligation to tell states or the fed how to go about implementing the decision.

And for pure fun I liked this quote"

“We are disappointed this litigation will continue, but we are confident Georgia will prevail in the end," said Katherine Zitsch, natural resources manager at the Atlanta Regional Commission. "We look forward to a time when we can move beyond litigation and cooperatively manage the basin’s water.”

Working cooperatively? If that were feasible the Supreme Court or any other court would never have been involved! Those who "win" a decision will call it just and final; those who lose will use terms like "litigation continues".

Comment

So lets say Florida gets the ruling they would like when the Special Master looks at the case again. Basically it means Georgia has to send them more water. So my question is how will this affect us at the top of the watershed?

Is it possible for the minimum 750 cfs rule at Peachtree Creek to get bumped to 1000?

Or could the COE decide it'll make up the difference further down the chain and release more from the dams downstream of Atlanta?
                          "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                          -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Originally posted by troutbum69 View Post
                            So lets say Florida gets the ruling they would like when the Special Master looks at the case again. Basically it means Georgia has to send them more water. So my question is how will this affect us at the top of the watershed?

Is it possible for the minimum 750 cfs rule at Peachtree Creek to get bumped to 1000?

Or could the COE decide it'll make up the difference further down the chain and release more from the dams downstream of Atlanta?

Well they could do either one. But considering Lanier holds over 65% of the water in the entire river system it would most likely have to contribute.

Comment

So what's to say that this Water Master (whatever the he!! that is) does not make the same ruling as before which favored Georgia? Basically the SCOTUS is saying it is his call, right?

Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                              Simple Goat Herder
                              Former NGTO President
                              Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Working...
                              X