Cohutta Wilderness Area - Closed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cohutta Wilderness Area - Closed

Apparently storms that hit the area were pretty severe with flooding and straight line winds.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/conf/alerts-notices

Why close it? I was under the impression it is a wilderness area not a walk in the park.

Comment

Originally posted by trad bow View Post
      Why close it? I was under the impression it is a wilderness area not a walk in the park.
      LOTS of downed trees and trees that will be falling soon. Very dangerous situation. Trail is covered in many places by massive blowdowns.

River was also crazy high this weekend, stranded over a dozen hikers from what i read.

Yes I agree wilderness does not = a chill place, but it's straight up unsafe right now.
      Resident Tenkara Nerd

Comment

My cabin is not too far from the eastern edge of the Cohutta Wilderness, and my area got hammered by the same storms. Cabins on Cherry Log mountain were without power for for almost 2 days.
        Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
        Simple Goat Herder
        Former NGTO President
        Hall of Fame Member

Comment

We were lucky on East Mountaintown Creek. Lots of wind, rain, and a little hail Friday overnight, but never lost power. Pretty rare for us to keep power with so much widespread damage.

Comment

Working...
          X