Sugar Mountain/Banner Elk Area

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar Mountain/Banner Elk Area

I'm going to be doing a trip up to Sugar Mountain/Boone next week to do some snowboarding with some friends and figured while I was in the area I might as well try to get a line wet as well. I've skiid up there several times and know that there is a ton of fishable water within 30 minutes or so. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to hit? It looks like there are several blue lines around and I'll likely explore around but any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by vivalahef; 12-19-18, 12:30 PM.

That end of the mountains can fish pretty tough this time of year. You're dealing with serious elevation out that way - in Banner Elk the "valley" is like, 3700'. Because of the vagaries of prevailing winds and the angle of escarpment, weather systems in the area tend to filter in from the Great Lakes and Northern Plains, the area is significantly colder than the southern NC mountains. I would focus my attention on south-facing drainages and fish the window of say noon-4:30ish (the last 60-90 minutes of that window tends to be the golden time, but it slams shut pretty abruptly the second the sun drops below the ridgeline).

Be warned, the water is pretty dang high up that way right now, and there's a bunch more weather pushing in. The bluelines up there tend to run on the steep side and can be treacherous to wade in high water.

Comment

You can get on the Watauga in the Valle Crucis area. Wife and I stayed at Mast Farm and fished an area up and down stream from the Community Park a couple years ago. We stopped in the local fly shop and they were helpful.

Comment

Working...
      X