Hawaii Bonefish are Huge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Bonefish are Huge

When we found out that we were moving to Hawaii I was a little bummed out that I wouldn't be able to pursue trout regularly. So I have had to make accommodations and decided that for fly fishing I would of course go after bonefish. I have fished for these annoying little invisible bastards in the Keys, and Grand Bahamas with minimal success.

When we got here they beat me down ferociously for weeks. I would cast a few feet in front of them and bam they were gone. Then I started putting it 10' in front of where I thought they were going to be (spoiler alert I was wrong most of the time). They turn, mosey, double back, or change course without reason. When they would stay on course they would get close to my fly, and take off faster than Usain Bolt in the Olympics. I talked to the owner of the only fly shop on Oahu and he gave me a few pointers about my stripping techniques. The next morning I took his advice and landed my first Hawaii bonefish.

I was surprised by how much larger they were than any I had seen in the Bahamas and were around the same size as Keys bonefish. They best part about fishing in Hawaii for them here is that they have a darker green back then I have ever seen and that makes spotting them much easier. I have gotten to the point where I can pick them up at 50-75 feet out (I'm sure I still overlook tons). On an average day at my favorite flat you can see between 15-20 fish an hour is the wind isn't kicking.

I tell you all this so I can say that if anyone comes here and wants to go out just let me know (can't guarantee you will hook up, but you will see them). I owe my fly fishing career to this message board from when we were in GA a few years ago. You guys showed me the ropes and got me hooked.

The little guy below was caught this week for reference.

GPTempDownload.jpg

Good Report
    Nice Fish!!!!
    "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger." - Herbert Hoover

Comment

Very nice!!! You havenít chased any of the trout there though??? They definitely have some giant rainbows there as well.
      #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
      -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
      -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
      -PH

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
        Very nice!!! You havenít chased any of the trout there though??? They definitely have some giant rainbows there as well.
        The trout are on Kauai unfortunately and only open June through September. I should have checked the seasons before we go there in a couple weeks, but hey you live and you learn.

Comment

Originally posted by story teller1981 View Post

The trout are on Kauai unfortunately and only open June through September. I should have checked the seasons before we go there in a couple weeks, but hey you live and you learn.
          Yeah I have only seen youtube vidjeos of them but figured I would ask. Are you going to plan on giving it a go later this year is the question?
          #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
          -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
          -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
          -PH

Comment

Working...
          X