Sometimes, I Go Fishing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes, I Go Fishing

Not often these days, mind you, but sometimes. The weather has been mostly uncooperative this winter, but I found a crack in the window and made a little hay. As usual, junk flies (beads, mops, girdle bugs) were the ticket. It's been a while since I've popped 4 20s in a day, and now I'm talkin' about it. The biggest brown came in a touch over 27". I'd be more excited if I hadn't literally caught that same fish 5 times since the end of 2017. He's big, but he ain't smart.

Cheers y'all!

Dylar

Last edited by Dylar; 03-17-19, 03:32 PM.

Very nice fish. What's the pearl looking bead thing you're using?

Comment

Originally posted by Lumis View Post
      Very nice fish. What's the pearl looking bead thing you're using?
      It's a glass faux pearl from the craft supplies at Wal Mart, pegged above a glow bug hook.

Comment

Originally posted by Dylar View Post

It's a glass faux pearl from the craft supplies at Wal Mart, pegged above a glow bug hook.
        Got a closer picture? I use glow bugs more than any other fly. I don't tie flies but this seems like something I could probably put together if it's fairly simple.

Comment

The setup for this almost couldn't be simpler. You thread the bead on the line and tie on the hook. I prefer a Gamakatsu C14s glo bug hook for this application, sz 10 for larger beads (say 8-12 mm) and sz 12 for smaller beads. If I'm targeting large browns, I use a big bead. Then you tie an overhand knot, passing the hook through the loop 5-6 times before pulling the knot tight so that it sits 1-2" above your hook. Run the bead back down to where it is sitting on or just above this stopper knot, then insert the tip of a toothpick into the hole in the bead and push it in until the bead doesn't move up or down the line. Break off your excess toothpick.

I prefer to fish suspension nymphing rigs, so I typically run the bead on top with a nymph of my choice (most often a girdle bug, but that doesn't actually matter) off the bend of the hook. If I were tightlining, I'd use the bead as the point fly and put the nymph on a dropper above.

Comment

Thanks a lot Dylar, that's fairly neat. I'm surprised the fish still manage to get hooked with the hook being 1-2" from the bead. Can't wrap my head around that. Have you tried using a nymph instead of the glow bug hook or would it lower the hook chance? Just something that came to mind.

Comment

Thanks a lot Dylar, that's fairly neat. I'm surprised the fish still manage to get hooked with the hook being 1-2" from the bead. Can't wrap my head around that. Have you tried using a nymph instead of the glow bug hook or would it lower the hook chance? Just something that came to mind.
              From my understanding pegging a bead above the hook like that is common in center pinning practices. It actually helps hooking the fish up in the mouth as opposed to gut hooking them. I have not tried it myself so I will let Dylar respond to that one, but that is what I have read and seen.
              Clark, sick fish man. Solid day! The old Martin prevails again!
              #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
              -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
              -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
              -PH

Comment

Now THAT is a good day on the water!

Comment

The beauty of it is when you set, you typically pull the bead back out through the side of the fish's mouth, the hook slides in to replace it, and you end up with the absolute perfect trout hookup (right in the corner of the mouth). A hook in that spot gives you the best possible connection to the fish (both in terms of the quality of the hookup and in terms of controlling the fish's head during the fight), minimizes the damage done to the fish, and keeps your tippet away from their sharp little teeth.

Granted, I'm pretty good and manage to stick 'em in the corner a lot of the time, anyway , but it's dang near automatic with the pegged bead setup.

I personally wouldn't peg the bead over a nymph unless I was in a state like Pennsylvania that has dumb laws against the use of bare hooks on fly fishing rigs.
                  Last edited by Dylar; 03-19-19, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I will definitely look into this.

Comment

Awesome report! Some nice browns and a fat bow!
                      Lake Lanier & Brevard NC

Comment

Originally posted by Fishemon View Post
                        Awesome report! Some nice browns and a fat bow!
                        Fishemon your secret is out!
                        http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

[

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

Those are some good fish. Pegging is and old steelhead fisherman's tactic. Just keep the hook close to the bead.
                          "The secret of my influence has always been that it remained secret" -Salvador Dali

Comment

Originally posted by Flyman NC View Post
                            Those are some good fish. Pegging is and old steelhead fisherman's tactic. Just keep the hook close to the bead.
                            My understanding is that the bead rigs came out Alaska, and spread pretty quickly because so many guides from all over the country end up doing their stint in Alaska.

Comment

Interesting tactic

Comment

Working...
                              X