Waters to fish in NC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waters to fish in NC?

I've had my fair share of GA waters and would like to try some new ones in NC. I've fished the nanty a few times in the past and would like to try other similar or smaller waters.

Any suggestions? Feel free to PM me as I know most people don't like to publicly share and that's understandable.

I'm trying to catch and release stockers mostly as I'm not a top notch fly fisher. All help appreciated. Thanks.

All the DH streams are now hatchery supported meaning kill & grill rather than catch & release. Said another way, you can catch your brookie and eat them too! In truth, any of the waters in the western part of the state are fishing well right now. Summer is higher pressure on the fish with the bait crowd, but walk a ways from the parking lot and you leave most of them behind. In my neighborhood we North and South Mills, East Fork French Broad, Pigeon, West Fork Pigeon, Lower Davidson, Big Laurel, Fires Creek, the Tuck, and the Nanny DH and main stem waters. Kinda makes my fingers tired trying to list them all!

Comment

Originally posted by JOHNKIES View Post
      All the DH streams are now hatchery supported meaning kill & grill rather than catch & release. Said another way, you can catch your brookie and eat them too! In truth, any of the waters in the western part of the state are fishing well right now. Summer is higher pressure on the fish with the bait crowd, but walk a ways from the parking lot and you leave most of them behind. In my neighborhood we North and South Mills, East Fork French Broad, Pigeon, West Fork Pigeon, Lower Davidson, Big Laurel, Fires Creek, the Tuck, and the Nanny DH and main stem waters. Kinda makes my fingers tired trying to list them all!
      Thanks for the info JOHNKIES.

Is it required to catch and kill after DH season? I dont necessarily wanna keep the fish I catch.

I noticed a lot of NC creeks don't get any stockings after May or June. What then? I assume you have to target wild fish in higher elevation?

Comment

No you do not have to keep fish you catch in any lake, pond or stream. You may be looking at the DH list of streams and those are only stocked October through May for the DH. However, stocking continues for the put 'n take fisheries.

Comment

Interesting. I'll have to go north sometime next week hopefully and try it out. Thanks.

Comment

Try Raven's Fork in Cherokee in the C&R Trophy Section. Lots of nice fish in there. It's fly fishing only on this stretch.
            The Tuckasegee from Bryson upstream to the reservoir is good fishing too. Spotty at times. Fish tend to hang is schools so if you hook up make sure you cover the entire area between drops both channel runs and riffles.
            Last edited by KevinD62; 06-23-19, 03:07 AM.
            "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He would not have created the other five days of the week."

Remember, always fight like you're the third monkey trying to get on Noah's ark.

Comment

Thank you Kevin

Comment

The Cherokee C&R water requires a special permit but they keep it well stocked with nice rainbows.

Comment

I anchored under a bridge between dillsboro and Whittier today just to get out of the sun and boated a few fish. The tuck is probably the most accessible/fishy N.C. big water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                  -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Only problem with a lot of the larger rivers is all the private property. Hard to find access using something like google maps. Probably helps to know people.

Comment

Working...
                    X