Check the water levels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check the water levels

I just wanted to throw this out to the folks that are planning to head out west. There was a report posted on the classicflyrod forum concerning water levels in the Yellowstone area. The report is just a few days old and the source is reliable. So here it is, short but note worthy, The Lamar Slough, and all of the water in that area is unfishable due to high water. The Yellowstone is also not wadable in most area's. The Gallatin below Taylor fork is questionable. On the west side of the Park, Madison is fishable below Quake lake, the area below Cabin and Beaver creek is still running muddy. YMV
    "I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

I fished the Madison in the wade area today. It's a little high but pretty clear. Fished the Gallatin 2 days this week. Once again high but clear. Should be great in another week. I'm in Big Sky for the next two months. Feel free to ask for current conditions. By the way the Yellowstone was off color and high a week ago when I drove by it.

Comment

Originally posted by girdlebug View Post
      IFished the Gallatin 2 days this week. Once again high but clear. Should be great in another week.
      Thought the same yesterday when I was driving down the canyon. Looked pretty good for early July: a bit high, but pretty green. Salmonflies were out and about and a few anglers (maybe girdlybug) looked to be chasing them. Taylor Fork itself was pretty off-color, but that's to be expected. Above Taylor Fork and the Gallatin was pretty lovely.

Enjoy your time in Big Sky. Working for the resort this summer?

"Of course, the most elegant experiments require no statistics at all." - A. Zale, Leader, U.S. Geological Survey Montana Cooperative Fishery Research Unit

Comment

Originally posted by girdlebug View Post
        I fished the Madison in the wade area today. It's a little high but pretty clear. Fished the Gallatin 2 days this week. Once again high but clear. Should be great in another week. I'm in Big Sky for the next two months. Feel free to ask for current conditions. By the way the Yellowstone was off color and high a week ago when I drove by it.
        That's good news. I'm heading out there on Sunday. Will be in Whitefish the first part of the week and then going to Gardiner and Island park the second half. Have some trips already lined up and I can't wait. My question is that if we get to Gardiner early enough on Wednesday I would like to try to catch a fish in the park. Any recommendations? Was thinking we might try to get over to Soda Butte creek. My understanding is it's pretty easy access from the road so I could just kind of hit and run since I won't have enough time for any long hikes.

Comment

Just got back from Big Sky last night. Fished the Gallatin down from Big Sky and while it was wadable really couldn't cross the river. Had good luck on Salmon fly dries. Also fished the Madison on a float trip. Put in at Lyon's Bridge, by the time we got to Palisades the Salmon fly hatch was on the the browns were killing the dries. Good day!

Comment

Originally posted by JCinGeorgia View Post
            Just got back from Big Sky last night. Fished the Gallatin down from Big Sky and while it was wadable really couldn't cross the river. Had good luck on Salmon fly dries. Also fished the Madison on a float trip. Put in at Lyon's Bridge, by the time we got to Palisades the Salmon fly hatch was on the the browns were killing the dries. Good day!
            We stayed in Big Sky several years ago. Took the kids up the creek to Ousel falls and had pretty good luck. Just out of curiosity who did you use for your float trip on the Madison?

Comment

I'm leaving Sunday for Jackson, WY to stay with a buddy then heading to Pinedale for the rest of the week. I'm hoping the water levels and color cooperate while I'm there.

Comment

Originally posted by kmccrary View Post

We stayed in Big Sky several years ago. Took the kids up the creek to Ousel falls and had pretty good luck. Just out of curiosity who did you use for your float trip on the Madison?
                I used Gallatin River Guides in Big Sky. My guide was Josh Berry and I highly recommend him. Everyone in the shop was very friendly. I hiked up to Ousel Falls with my wife but didn't fish but it looked like some good water.

Comment

Working...
                X