Johnson City, TN/Watauga River Report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson City, TN/Watauga River Report

I am very fortunate that my wife found Camp Stonefly when searching for a place to take a much needed break.

The camp is a small private property located directly on the Watauga between Johnson City and Elizabethton. They have 2 RV's on site for rent by the night as well as several tent sites. They have one RV site that we rented. There is a very nice bath house on site as well. Prices were very reasonable. There is a trophy section just downstream from there but I did not try it. There are said to be stripers in that section as well.

The fact that I had not fished in over 2 years was very apparent. But, with the help of the owner and Huck at East Fly Outfitters, I got on the patterns and caught fish in spite of myself and the TVA generations.

There were consistent BWO hatches (size 18/20) and some beetles. In the deep swift currents I fished a 3 fly rig under an indicator with split shot and nearly all of my fish were caught on a size 20 olive midge. When fishing the hatches in shallower waters I went dry/dropper and used the same midge. That's what they wanted. I did not try an emerger but wish I had.

There are several places to wade. Must haves are wading staffs and felt or felt with studs. Water temps were mild and I wet waded. Certainly the closer you get to the dam the lower they got.

I don't have any fish pics since I was by myself. You will have to take my word for it. I was pleased with the fight in the wild fish there and caught both my best brown and rainbow (in the east) on this trip. 18 and 17 inches respectively. Lots of hits and fish lost to being out of practice. I did keep 3 smaller bows for supper one night.

You can find Camp Stonefly on Facebook.
    Fishing Vicariously Through Others

Did some one say stripers?

Nice report Adam! But fishing solo isn't a good enough excuse for no fish pics

Comment

Working...
    X