NY Trip 2016 Cooperstown and the Adiondacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Trip 2016 Cooperstown and the Adiondacks

It's been a while since I've put together a post but this one seemed fitting....

I recently took an 18 day road trip vacation with my wife and 2 kids starting June 2nd. Our 1st leg would have us in Cooperstown, NY for a week of baseball with my son's team. We left Georgia at 5am and landed in Binghamton, NY around 9pm.... After some local grub and some much needed shut eye, we finished the drive to Cooperstown on Friday, but not before a quick stop my old hometown of Utica for some tomato pie....a classic Utica, NY staple only found here! Freaking delicious!!!

Our digs for the first week was a modern style farmhouse sitting on 123 acres...the views were absolutely amazing!!! Not the New York most people think of! There was nothing but farms as far as the eye could see. On clear days, the Adirondacks were faintly visible to the north. The weather was crazy, typical of early June in Upstate New York, with constant 15-25 mph winds and rain that would roll in with the blink of an eye. Still, it was well worth the 30 minute drive to Cooperstown daily for baseball games!!!

ON TO SOME BASEBALL:
    This was a bittersweet tournament for us. It's the biggest tournament for 12 year old travel baseball and it would also be the last time these boys would ever play together as a team. Most of them have been together since they were 8 years old. Coach is stepping down to coach his younger son's team and most everyone is moving on to other programs.

After spending 2 days in the barracks at Cooperstown Dreams Park with over 1500 other 12 year old ball players, my boy came down with 104.5 fever and ended up missing 3 of his 6 pool play games. Turns out all he needed was some antibiotics and rest... Chase came back in full fashion going 2-3 with a 3 run HR in his first at bat

The Boys ended up going 8-1 in the tournament, finishing 5th place out of 104 teams from 22 different states....pretty freaking awesome way to end it if you ask me!

Chase and I made a quick stop at the Baseball Hall of Fame while the girls went shopping....you can just feel the history in there!

ON TO SOME FISHING:
    We left Cooperstown on Friday to start the next leg of our vacation, our real vacation! Our digs for the next week was at my lifelong friend's camp in Old Forge, New York. Located in the Adirondack Park foothills, his camp is nothing short of amazing...and free too Again, the weather was typical of upstate NY in early June....rain and low temps of low 40's. Still we were going to make the best of it!

Located on the Fulton Chain Lakes, the fishing in these lakes is also amazing!!! There is pike, LM/SM bass, lake trout, perch, sunfish and a whole lot more! I fished almost exclusively from the dock. I did manage to take the kayak out for a few hours on the last few days. I caught and landed several bass, all over 2 lbs, with 3 being over 5lbs! There are some slabs in there for sure. I hooked and fought a 30"+ northern pike for a good 10 seconds before he spit the lure back at me....guess I'll have to wait until next year for my 1st pike!

I also caught my first ever smallie

My friend's youngest also got in on the action...this 4 year old can flat out fish folks! Hearing him say "It's a bass" still brings a smile to my face. He also landed a nice Bullhead on ultralight tackle

to be continued.....
    Last edited by Big Browns; 06-20-16, 03:44 PM.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Georgia...?feature=watch

My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

sigpic

On Tuesday the 14th, we took a day trip to Lake Placid where is all began for my family. I proposed to my wife on top of Whiteface Mountain almost 15 years ago. We returned when our kids were 6 and 3 to snap a family photo, that was 6 years ago so we wanted to get the same picture again

After our photo shoot was complete, we made the drive down the mountain to the Famed Ausable River. What can I say other than breathtaking.....for those that have been, you know what I'm feeling! I only had a few hours of light left so time to get to work!!!

Sulfurs and caddis were popping off everywhere....I tied on a classic Adirondack dry, Fran Betters' Ausable Wulff and went to town! Landed a 1/2 dozen or more brownies, all on the same fly

With fish to hand and a sense of accomplishment, I was good with only having a few hours on this legendary trout stream! We bailed and made the 2 hour drive back to Old Forge!

After a few more days of R&R at the lake, it was time to make the journey back to Georgia, but not before a few more pit stops! We made the 5 hour drive to Long Island to drop our kids off for a few weeks with my wife's sister. We spent the night there and the left just before noon on Friday. We drove to Baltimore to eat at Chap's Pit Beef! The pit beef sandwiches were out of this world! If you're ever within 100 miles of Baltimore, you have to go there. Get the pit beef sandwich, medium rare with onions, horseradish and tiger sauce!!!

We drove straight thru back to Georgia, arriving home at 6am, dog *** tired and crawled straight into bed! Can't wait to go back next summer!!!

Hope you guys enjoyed
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Georgia...?feature=watch

My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

sigpic

Comment

Looks like an awesome trip!

Comment

Been following on FB Ron, looks like a killer trip and a lot of memories, thanks for sharing
        RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

Lots of goodness in that post! Thanks for sharing.
          The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Cool stuff. Makes me reminisce.

Used to visit the ex's grandfather (went by Jumbo) who lived a little north of West Canada Creek just past Cold Brook up Hwy 8 toward the Adirondacks throughout the 90's. We'd drive up to Speculator every once in a while. Utica was the big city and I believe Saranac was the beer. Genesee too. Would occasionally head up Hwys 28/12 to Old Forge to tour. It had the tamest deer and the funkiest hardware/general store.

Would cut through Rome and eat at the Savoy on our way to Jumbo's camp outside Pulaski.

That whole area around Cooperstown is a Norman Rockwell painting.

That's Jumbo on the left when we where fishing the Salmon River. He was 85 at the time.

Last edited by THE EG; 06-22-16, 03:38 PM.
            If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

Good stuff! Nice fish. I have caught thousands of smallmouth, but not many bigger than that one. And congrats to the baseball team! And I don't know about any mater pie. That just don't sound right.
              Little Debbie Prostaff

Comment

Awesome trip right there! Great family fun and great fishing to boot.
                (though I am a bit jealous of the small mouth)
                These brook trout will strike any fly you present, provided you don't get close enough to present it.
                -- Dick Blalock

Comment

Working...
                X