Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cherokee - Ravens Fork Trophy Section Report!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherokee - Ravens Fork Trophy Section Report!

Hey Guys! As most of you probably know the trophy section in Cherokee received a MASSIVE stocking of fish for the USA Regional Tournament held the last weekend in February (yes, the same tournament the RScott won the gold medal in the over 50 division ).
    The trophy section was stocked with roughly 4,000 - 5,000 pounds of fish..and we put in some absolute TOADS! We've seen clients landing fish in the 22-25 inch range.

Give us a call at the shop or stop by and see us for more info! Feel free to shoot me a message on here as well. Tight lines!
    Joey Walraven
    River's Edge Outfitters
    Cherokee, NC
    828-497-9300
    https://www.wncfishing.com/

I can attest to the fishing! Pretty good.
    2flysigpic
    Pat

http://www.freewebs.com/georgiaflyfishingteam/
    http://https://www.facebook.com/2flyGuideService
    http://www.2flyguideservice.com
    You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie.

Comment

Originally posted by 2fly View Post
      I can attest to the fishing! Pretty good.
      I'll agree. Lots of nice fish landed today and several very nice ones that claimed flies. I'm not sure they are going to act tomorrow with the changing weather (snow by Sunday) but I'm going to try to sneak an hour or two in between the rain.
      If I ever think of something worthwhile it will be here !

Comment

Looking forward to fishing with you Joey on Saturday.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!

Comment

Originally posted by halh68 View Post
          .. and several very nice ones that claimed flies..
          haha, i've never heard it put that way. i'm going to start using that!
          Joey Walraven
          River's Edge Outfitters
          Cherokee, NC
          828-497-9300

Comment

Originally posted by retiredmp View Post
            Looking forward to fishing with you Joey on Saturday.
            yes ma'am! looking forward to it. i'll see you in the morning!
            Joey Walraven
            River's Edge Outfitters
            Cherokee, NC
            828-497-9300

Comment

Joey....I heard you busted some poachers last week. Nice job!
              The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

T and I had a great trip with our guide Brandon Ashe, of Rivers Edge Outfitters. We were met by Joey this morning in the shop, while we purchased our permits to head out to Ravens Fork.

T started right out of the gate catching one rainbow after another. I was down 5 fish, but managed to make up for it when I got the fish dialed in - deep today.

I put poor Brandon through all of the novice mistakes today. I lost more flies today, then all of the other combined fishing trips since Jan 1, 2017.

T and I were feeling like royalty when Joey and his wife and their dog showed up to root us on. I had just lost an ugly rainbow of decent size 20". I called it ugly because it had several battle scars and healing wounds (white spots). We are guessing that he survived an otter attack.

While Joey was watching and cheering us on, I got into another nice rainbow. I find out then, my camera battery was dead. A couple of minutes later and another nice fish was on. Fishing a 3wt with 6X tippet, you have to have skill with playing and eventually landing a nice fish. I connected with another good fish, who went like a freight train down river and broke me off.
                Then Moby Dick shows up and WHAM - saw him roll near service and once again I was broken off. One of the biggest trout I have seen this year. It was a monster; I know where he lives, and will be seeking redemption.
                A few minutes later, another nice fish was hooked, and within nanoseconds he spit the hook.

We then moved to another section of water, and no matter what we did on presentations, methods couldn't get a fish to eat. I slapped one on his back. Saw several following the fly and just wouldn't eat.

We decided that with the bite shutting down and our 1/2 day trip with a few remaining minutes, to call it a great day on the water.

So, being just like my Dad, I can fall over things that weren't even there - just clumsiness. Less than 2 feet from the shore, a step with my right leg and my knee just gave out on me. I went down in the water. Brandon was great being there to get me up and on the shore.

I will do another post with some pictures that others took today. I don't have a picture of the 6" wild rainbow. People were telling me to post pictures of smaller fish. Inoperable camera - dead battery.

It was great time on the water. I'm glad to have been able to bring some business to one of NGTO's Supporters, Joey Walraven, at River's Edge Outfitters. I hope some other NGTO members will consider using REO for their next trip to fish Raven's Fork.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                  Joey....I heard you busted some poachers last week. Nice job!
                  Yessir! My wife is the real hero cause she wouldn't let me get out the car and kill them lol. Called the law. They showed up in about 10 minutes. I listened in on the conversation. Grand total on the tickets was some where in the neighborhood of $2,000.00 ---
                  Joey Walraven
                  River's Edge Outfitters
                  Cherokee, NC
                  828-497-9300

Comment

Originally posted by Raven15 View Post
                    Yessir! My wife is the real hero cause she wouldn't let me get out the car and kill them lol. Called the law. They showed up in about 10 minutes. I listened in on the conversation. Grand total on the tickets was some where in the neighborhood of $2,000.00 ---
                    AWESOME
                    "Fly Fishing Is Not A Team Sport"----Tom McGuane

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
                    Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by retiredmp View Post
                      It was great time on the water. I'm glad to have been able to bring some business to one of NGTO's Supporters, Joey Walraven, at River's Edge Outfitters. I hope some other NGTO members will consider using REO for their next trip to fish Raven's Fork.
                      Thank you ma'am! You ladies did great. We have some pics and vids to upload but here's a short video of Carolyn spanking a pretty nice rainbow. Notice the fight this fish puts up (watch her fly rod!). Two things to forgive on this video, the poor quality and the idiot yelling when we get the fish in the net (that idiot would be me lol..i tend to get excited about fishing)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNEDf98OCBk
                      Joey Walraven
                      River's Edge Outfitters
                      Cherokee, NC
                      828-497-9300

Comment

Were they in a sliver Honda Minivan?

I was in Cherokee the weekend of the 25th with my family. My 13yo son and I were fishing the Trophy section on Saturday. We pulled up to the field hole and noticed 2 guys unloading stringers with some absolute slabs into a bag in the back of the van. We grabbed our stuff and headed down to the water to check it out, thinking that they were leaving. They clearly had that look on them as if they knew they were breaking the law.

As we started fishing, my son tapped me on the shoulder and said "Look Dad, there's more of them". There were 3 more guys fishing with spinning gear hidden in the Rodo on the near side bank. They were tucked away nice and tight, as if they were hiding. They were obviously with the 2 guys back at the minivan because that was the only vehicle at the parking area. We bailed out of there immediately and moved to another spot. I couldn't get a tag number due to the tailgate being open.

I called REO when I got a signal and reported it! I really hoped that these guys were caught. I really wanted to confront them but knew if was not the right thing to do. As much as I hate poachers, I love my family too much to risk anything!
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/Georgia...?feature=watch

My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

sigpic

Comment

yessir, they were in a silver minivan. there were 3 of them.

confronting them is generally a bad idea. if you can call us at the shop or just call the cherokee dispatch and report it, that's the most effective and safest thing to do.

rivers edge 828-497-9300
                          cherokee dispatch 828-497-4131
                          Joey Walraven
                          River's Edge Outfitters
                          Cherokee, NC
                          828-497-9300

Comment

confronting them is generally a bad idea. if you can call us at the shop or just call the cherokee dispatch and report it, that's the most effective and safest thing to do.

rivers edge 828-497-9300

Agreed. About three years ago I was fishing the trophy section during a snowstorm in Dec or Jan and encountered a similar scenario. Three guys moved in right on top of me, dragging stringers of fish. I hooked a really nice 20" plus fish and next thing I know they wade out right in front of me. Broke the fish off, lost my net, and also lost my temper. We get into it and next thing I know two more guys come walking out of the woods to make it five on one.

So yes. Don't confront them even if you want to. Easier said than done, but it's not worth having to shoot someone over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

rivers edge 828-497-9300

Awesome!!! That was me that called it in to the shop!

Too bad they didn't get all of them...there were 5 of them total! The other two must of lingered in the woods! Were they still at the field hole?
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/Georgia...?feature=watch

My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X