GSMNP camping and fishing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSMNP camping and fishing

This past weekend I packed up the family and met up with friends at a popular campground in NC side of GSMNP. Since it was a family trip, I wasn't able to concentrate on fishing as much as I wanted but still managed to get a good amount of fishing in. Leaves were turning and some were floating in the water but not enough to get irritating. Water was crystal clear, which meant farther casting but the creek allowed space for back casting so it wasn't s hard area to fish.

[IMG][/IMG]

Throughout the weekend I fished the entire length of the creek that runs along the campground and a bit more. Although the guide books talk about how much pressure that part of the creek gets and that the fishing gets much better if you hike up last the campgrounds a couple of miles, I had pretty good luck fishing the campground and did not see anyone else fishing the area.

I ended up with 25+ wild fish to net. Most of them were beautifully colored bows of about 4 to 8 inches.

I had some baby browns as well but I ended up hooking into a 12 inch wild brown right across from our camp site! I was fishing my 7.5 ft 3 weight and it gave a great fight before finally ending up in my net. I never caught wild trout brown trout of that size in a creek before especially where kids were going in and out disturbing the water. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised.

[IMG][/IMG]

I pretty much caught all my fish on 2 flies. Size 14 EHC wad the most productive and the brown took this as well. For a while i fished a moonshine midge dropper and had some luck with it also but eventually cut it off since most strikes came on the dry. A friend fished an Adams Parachute and it seemed to produce as well.

Next time I am in the area, I am definitely going to head further upstream for the chance to land a grand slam in the national park.
    Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Beautiful fish, CC. Is that a sling pack over your right shoulder? I like the ability to fasten accessories to it.

Comment

Great report; Gorgeous wild fish!
      Great job!

Comment

Awesome brown, glad you didn't need to use that whistle.
        We are the music-makers,
        And we are the dreamers of dreams,
        Wandering by lone sea-breakers
        And sitting by desolate streams;
        World losers and world forsakers,
        On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Originally posted by richf7 View Post
          Beautiful fish, CC. Is that a sling pack over your right shoulder? I like the ability to fasten accessories to it.
          Thanks guys.

Yes. It's the Orvis sling pack. I have been using it for a year and a half and no complaints.

GOUT: Whether I used that whistle during this trip is not within the scope of this post. Don't ask don't tell. Haha

Comment

Great report and pix. The wild fish are bigger there no doubt. Awesome.
            "A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..." George Washington

Comment

Awesome Charles!! Those are some great fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Beautiful fish. I think I was in the same campground this past weekend (October 12th-17th) and will post a story and photos tomorrow. I camped with a former student and we did fairly well by hiking 2-1/2 miles above the campground, and then fishing the campground stretch by our campsite in the evening. Mornings were slow until the water warmed up a bit. We had most of our action on small flies (#18-20), except in the evening when we fished October Caddis imitations (#10). We saw at least one huge 25 inch brown that must have come from the nearby delayed harvest.

John

Comment

Originally posted by jgraham140 View Post
                  Beautiful fish. I think I was in the same campground this past weekend (October 12th-17th) and will post a story and photos tomorrow. I camped with a former student and we did fairly well by hiking 2-1/2 miles above the campground, and then fishing the campground stretch by our campsite in the evening. Mornings were slow until the water warmed up a bit. We had most of our action on small flies (#18-20), except in the evening when we fished October Caddis imitations (#10). We saw at least one huge 25 inch brown that must have come from the nearby delayed harvest.

John
                  Cool. I guess we were there at the same time. I was at the group campsite # 1 at Smokemont. October 13-15th. We sure had some great weather.

25 inch brown? That's crazy! Was that one up above the campground along the hiking trail?

Comment

Awesome report and beautiful fish. This is whats its all about!!
                    If fishing is religion, Fly Fishing is high church.

-Tom Brokaw-

Comment

Originally posted by ChaChung View Post
                      Cool. I guess we were there at the same time. I was at the group campsite # 1 at Smokemont. October 13-15th. We sure had some great weather.

25 inch brown? That's crazy! Was that one up above the campground along the hiking trail?
                      I was at Deep Creek, by Bryson City. The big brown was undoubtedly crazy. The Tuckaseegee warms up in the summer, sending the delayed-harvest trout looking for thermal refuges in Deep Creek.

We talked about going over and giving Bradley Fork a shot, but ended up on Indian Creek. Smokemont has always been a favorite campground, but Deep Creek is just a little closer.

I have the photos ready and will try to post something by tomorrow.

John

Comment

Originally posted by jgraham140 View Post
                        I was at Deep Creek, by Bryson City. The big brown was undoubtedly crazy. The Tuckaseegee warms up in the summer, sending the delayed-harvest trout looking for thermal refuges in Deep Creek.

We talked about going over and giving Bradley Fork a shot, but ended up on Indian Creek. Smokemont has always been a favorite campground, but Deep Creek is just a little closer.

I have the photos ready and will try to post something by tomorrow.

John
                        Cool! Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Comment

Working...
                        X