Help me and my bro-in-law catch our first Brookie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me and my bro-in-law catch our first Brookie

We will be staying in the Highlands for Thanksgiving and neither of us have caught a brook trout before. Looking for any suggestions and help! Thanks!

It Depends ....

It depends on if you want native or stocker brookies. DH season in both NC and GA at that time so you have the Chattooga and the Tuck just to name two. For wild brookies you have to work a little harder.

Probably the best bet is GSMNP and a second choice would be Panthertown Valley. This area lies just to the north of Lake Toxaway and has a nice population of wild brookies. However, they are known to almost disappear in the winter. If the weather stays mild until then, you have a good chance. That said, DO NOT even think about going into Panthertown without a map. Your GPS won't cut it. As the name says, it's a valley and it gets dark early.

Comment

The pictures of the brookies coming out of the Tuck right now could cause nightmares for small children. They have put some absolute freaks of nature in there this year - I can't wait to go get at them.

Trout Unlimited has done some work on nearby streams and tributaries, some research will reveal those stream names. I would get also consider googling waterfalls in the area (there is a ton) and fishing above any of those.

PV does shut down with a decent dose of cold. Given the elevation, I would bet it has been nice and chilly. Hiking the area is notoriously difficult, but the safer, more obvious and less confusing trails come in from the Eastern side.

Either way you go, be careful and have fun. After you get skunked you can always hit the Scaly Mountain Trout Pond

Comment

Some beautiful Brookies stocked in DH section of Fires Creek about an hour and half from The Highlands. Google Fires Creek Picnic Area. Good luck and enjoy! See my posting today under Outside Georgia section on NGTO. Here is a pic of one I caught yesterday at Fires Creek.[IMG][IMG]IMG_9531 by JOHN LANIER, on Flickr[/IMG][/IMG]
        Last edited by HILLIS LANIER; 10-20-17, 12:22 PM. Reason: Additional info
        "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

Comment

Delayed harvest

NC stocks brookies unlike GA

Comment

Originally posted by Spanish_Fly View Post
            We will be staying in the Highlands for Thanksgiving and neither of us have caught a brook trout before. Looking for any suggestions and help! Thanks!

If the highlands is highlands nc get a forest service map of the national forest between there and northeast ga. Warwoman wma is just a part of that area. Look for streams that aren't stocked and have barrier falls. Go above said falls and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
            -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

If in Highlands go to Brookings and they will put you on whatever you want to catch. You can speak with Roger Lowe one of the masters of southern trout fishing.
              "I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

Comment

Working...
              X