Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuck DH

Anyone been fishing the Tuck DH waters?
    I might be up that way beginning of December. In fact, will be there Friday, December 1.
    Was hoping to hop in the water and catch a few. The Tuck DH is where I got my first taste of FlyFishing thanks to a wonderful gift from my GF. We are heading back for an Xmas party in asheville, but she's made plans to stop in Sylva area the day before so I could revisit those waters after having learned a thing or two.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

NC DH

The DH and other stocked waters in North Carolina right now hang on delivery of enough magic markers from Staples to color up all those shiners they raise in the hatchery to look like rainbows, browns and brookies! I understand the brookies are the toughest for the hatchery workers to color up due to the complex colors and getting that leading white edge on each fin is sometimes a prickly business.

Comment

I imagine that a lot of the action will depend on the actions of Duke Energy when you are up there but you probably already knew that. I would not be surprised if Drifter is up at the Happy Trout Lodge a day or 2 after thanksgiving and could probably give though a first hand bird's eye review of the conditions from his front porch.

I floated it with him back in October and it was a slow day but that means nothing obviously as far as conditions in a few weeks go.

Shoot him a PM when you get a chance.
      There are no shortcuts to any place worth going--Beverly Sills

Comment

Wading with West Fork release

Before I drive 2 hours Id like to confirm that, for example, the 1/4 mile stretch above Webster bridge is wadeable with studded boots during the 1 rise from West Fork release. I was up there once when the water came up and it nearly swept me away. Thus the studded boots. Looks to me like East fork release results in 1.3 rise while a West Fork release is a 1 rise based on the Cullowhee gauge.

Comment

Fishing it this weekend. Will let you know!

Comment

Yep, I would try to get a hold of Drifter. Any body know where he is?

Comment

Thanks y'all

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
                Yep, I would try to get a hold of Drifter. Any body know where he is?
                Last I heard he couldn't remember his password.
                If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

Originally posted by THE EG View Post
                  Last I heard he couldn't remember his password.
                  Bingo! and I don't think he's in a particular hurry to remember it. If you would like, I will publish E.G's personal cell # here and you can text him so he can text Drifter and relay messages.

That is if E.G's text ability is functioning or not
                  There are no shortcuts to any place worth going--Beverly Sills

Comment

Floated for 3 days near Bryson City. Fishing was very good. I believe they were releasing water all 3 days. Many fish to the net including my personal best rainbow trout on the last spot on the last day! Not sure it they will be stocking any more fish before you go up. I caught most fish on junk, but they may be wising up to the onslaught of eggs by the time you make it up there.

Tight lines!

Comment

It was my first time on the Tuck and I will be back! Camped just out of Bryson city on the delayed harvest section. Only fished about an hour so I can't give a full report but I caught this nice brown on a large steamer and also another decent rainbow. Check out grumpy bear campground. It's right on the river. Can't wait to go back. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Way to go Just. Thanks for the report!
                        Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

Copy that.
                          Nice fish.
                          Thank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Grumpy Bear Campground is where we stayed as well. Launched our boat right from the campsite. We must not have missed you by much. The place is very nice.

Comment

It was roughly one year ago my GF bought be a guided trip on the tuckaseegee river. We ended up catching a dozen or so each, they'd just stocked.

We left yesterday to come up to NC for her work Xmas party, and by the time we got into sylva, checked into hotel, and whatnot, it left me about 65 minutes on the water. Surprisingly, there were only two other souls fishing, two Georgia boys whose names I already forgot. They are ngto members and we new some of the same people. We conversed about what they were eating: the younger of the two guys sorta indicated they were eating anything. The older, mentor, said they'd been crushing a mohair leech and was kind enough to share love one. The water was fast, peaking after a release, but still slack enough to implement the old dry dropper. Big old stimulator up top, mohair leech (Unweighted) in the middle, and a pink beaded tungsten nymph at the point.
                              Tenth cast, rainbow.
                              Then I got into a pod of brookies, five of those. Didn't leave without a few browns.
                              I don't have any pictures, because I forgot to pack my waterproof camera phone thing. You can believe me or not, but the tuck DH IS hot, just the way I remembered it.

To add to an awesome day, after my GF dropped me at the tusk fishing hole she went into "downtown" sylva and while there popped into black rock outfitters and got me a few rep your water shirts on sale.
                              Now off to Asheville for the party on the Biltmore ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X