Denver, CO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JOHNKIES View Post
    Saw a recent piece on PBS about Stephen King and the writing of 'The Shining' which was inspired by the Stanley Hotel on the east side of Estes. Story went that King and a couple friends drove out of Boulder one day just doing some site seeing and stumbled onto the Stanley. King was so intrigued with the place and the history that he tried to check in. But it was the last day of the season, all the guests were leaving and the staff was packing to go. But King pleaded and stayed there for a week. And if you recall 'The Shining' that whole scene should sound very familiar .................

A couple years before King's visit I was at CSU and fraternity social chairman looking for a place to hold our spring formal. Had the weekend of our formal not coincided with the Stanley putting in all new carpet we would have had our formal there. If you are in Estes, you owe it to yourself to talk a walk through the Stanley's lobby.
    This was the first thing that came to mind when I saw "Estes." I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHNKIES View Post
      Saw a recent piece on PBS about Stephen King and the writing of 'The Shining' which was inspired by the Stanley Hotel on the east side of Estes. Story went that King and a couple friends drove out of Boulder one day just doing some site seeing and stumbled onto the Stanley. King was so intrigued with the place and the history that he tried to check in. But it was the last day of the season, all the guests were leaving and the staff was packing to go. But King pleaded and stayed there for a week. And if you recall 'The Shining' that whole scene should sound very familiar .................

A couple years before King's visit I was at CSU and fraternity social chairman looking for a place to hold our spring formal. Had the weekend of our formal not coincided with the Stanley putting in all new carpet we would have had our formal there. If you are in Estes, you owe it to yourself to talk a walk through the Stanley's lobby.
      One of my fraternity brothers spent part of his honeymoon at the Stanley hotel. When I was researching hotels in Estes park, the whole haunted hotel thing didn't come up and I only found out about it by chance watching a tv special.
      -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

estes park

I think that was the day I was there.
        Fred

Comment

Working...
        X