Family trip to Glacier NP area

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stinkbait View Post
    Tell your brother in law to get a new job. I haven't been there in years (decades actually) but you won't be able to drive more than a few miles of "Going to the Sun" or access the high country. https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/hours.htm

The Rockies generally are experiencing a scary low snow pack this winter, but not Montana. The Glacier area currently appears to be about 120% of normal. http://mtpr.org/post/montana-snowpac...y-across-state
    He's a LEO and apparently they only schedule shifts a few months out. Go figure.

My ears have been perking up when I hear mention of MT area on weather reports, and it seems like they've been getting hammered every week up there. At this point, I may just leave the fishing gear at home and use the space for better camera gear.

Comment

Originally posted by cjones View Post
      He's a LEO and apparently they only schedule shifts a few months out. Go figure.

My ears have been perking up when I hear mention of MT area on weather reports, and it seems like they've been getting hammered every week up there. At this point, I may just leave the fishing gear at home and use the space for better camera gear.
      Alpine lakes will be your best bet. It's an amazingly addicting way to fish.
      -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

At this point, you can not control the weather or the schedules of other family members. You will be there with less crowds and beautiful scenery to enjoy. Glacier is a special place and the Amtrak train experience will be something that your family will always remember. You all will have a wonderful time and I look forward to reading about your adventure.

Comment

Yes, we've been getting hammered this year. Great for skiing! Great for the snow pack! Great for ag producers who pull water out of streams and rivers! Great for fishes! This is the time of year, however, that nearly everyone in Montana is looking forward to longer days and more sunshine.

Like others have said, the weather during an early June trip to Glacier might prevent you from doing much fishing. That said, if the weather stays cool for the few days before your trip, that may keep the snow up in the mountains rather than melting and moving downstream. If that's the case, you'd be golden for some quiet time in the water.

Have fun and enjoy your trip!
          "Of course, the most elegant experiments require no statistics at all." - A. Zale, Leader, U.S. Geological Survey Montana Cooperative Fishery Research Unit

Comment

Working...
          X