Pisgah Trip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pisgah Trip

So it is safe to say I fell in love with Pisgah this weekend. Had never fished in that part of NC. The trip started off as a concert trip to see the Wood Brothers (check them out if you don't know who these guys are) play in Brevard so I figured I would book end it with some fishing/camping. Drove up Friday night from Atlanta to find out that Davidson River Campground was all booked up so I spent the next hour or so driving around in the woods and eventually got all set up around 10pm. This was really the only inconvenience of the weekend.

Saturday: Woke up the next morning and was on the Blue Ridge Parkway for the sunrise. As much as I wanted to get to the water as quickly as possible, had to stop to take it in. I hiked down to the stream I was fishing from an overlook. Goal of the weekend was to get off the grid so I chose a tributary that was a bit tricky to access and navigate. The effort was rewarded. The morning started off slow given the temperature but as it started to warm up, the bite was on. Surprisingly, the rig of the day ended up being a small gold chubby chernobyl with a radiation baetis dropped off the back. Probably got around 20 fish to hand with a bunch missed. Most fish were in the 6-8 inch range but I got lucky on one and have the proof! Not sure exactly where this guy falls but it is definitely somewhere in the 10-12 inch range and the largest wild brook trout I have ever caught. Northern strain for sure but caught him about 3.5 miles in the middle of the woods so I think its safe to say he was stream bred. After catching him, I walked back out to the main branch and fished my way up until about 4pm and headed to the concert.

Sunday: Drove about an hour to hit a spot recommended by a NGTO member (thanks!). Again, well worth the trek. This is probably my favorite spot I have fished since I moved to Atlanta almost 3 years ago. Completely remote. I honestly have never seen a back country stream with better structure. It was pool after pool for the 3 or so miles that I hiked/fished. Started the day off with a nice wild brown and then it was all brook trout from there. From the research that I did, I believe these brookies were mixed breed between northern and southern strain. The bellies on these guys were all bright orange.

A few pics attached. I post most of my pictures on instagram so feel free to follow me on there. @Joeybooks. Hell of a weekend.
    Attached Files
    "If we admit that life can be ruled by reason, the possibility of life is destroyed."
    IG: joeybooks

PS I have a video of the big guy but cant figure out how to upload. Any suggestions?
    "If we admit that life can be ruled by reason, the possibility of life is destroyed."

Comment

Awesome report and awesome fish!
      Well done!

Comment

That first Brook is a pure gem. Congrats! Excellent reading material.

Living through your post!
        @glennmau

Comment

I haven't found a successful way to embed videos but have just uploaded them to YouTube and then posted the link.
          @glennmau

Comment

Great report!
            Lake Lanier & Brevard NC

Comment

The quality is not great but you get a sense of the traps on this guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIVjcFMrPcw

Comment

Originally posted by Skeezix View Post
                The quality is not great but you get a sense of the traps on this guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIVjcFMrPcw
                ^^Totally rad^^

Comment

Usually nabbing your Strutta at crick #2 is the tough part of slamming out there. Surprised you didn't encounter a bow or two on your way up.

That first speck is a toad.
                  Last edited by Dylar; 04-23-18, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Pisgah

The Davidson River Campground often fills up and they have a lot of campers who stay the full limit of time permitted. A future option is the Mills River Campgrounds on either side of the North Mills, DH. Some of those sites can be reserved, other first come first served.

As for the northern strain brookie, what makes you think it was a northern strain fish?

Comment

Wow. Those are amazing Brookies. I didn't they got so big down in the south... it must have been a thrill netting them.
                      Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

Nice fishing report and beautiful fish pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JOHNKIES View Post
                          The Davidson River Campground often fills up and they have a lot of campers who stay the full limit of time permitted. A future option is the Mills River Campgrounds on either side of the North Mills, DH. Some of those sites can be reserved, other first come first served.

As for the northern strain brookie, what makes you think it was a northern strain fish?
                          I can pretty much tell at this point from the markings and coloration. I also did some reading to confirm. There was a fish and wildlife report I came across that noted northern strain fish were found in that particular watershed.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeezix View Post
                            I can pretty much tell at this point from the markings and coloration. I also did some reading to confirm. There was a fish and wildlife report I came across that noted northern strain fish were found in that particular watershed.

Pure northern strain or hybrid?
                            I didn't think all the genetics data has come in yet....
                            Either way, great fish dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Markings and coloration are more a product of the local stream environment than strain. The consensus of the biologists is that "Northern" and "Southern" strain fish can only be distinguished via genetic analysis, and, anecdotally, it has certainly been my experience that distinguishing between them visually is basically impossible.

Basically, as usual, phenotype trumps genotype.

To illustrate, here are six brookies from streams where I know the genetic makeup of the population from published studies. Two are "Northern" strain, two are "Southern" strain, and two come from creeks with a mix of "Northern" and "Southern" genetics. Which are which? You make the call...

Last edited by Dylar; 04-23-18, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X