Another report from GSMNP.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another report from GSMNP.

I got a rare hall pass to go out of town, so I met with my old roommate up near the north-east corner of GSMNP on Thursday evening to camp and fish for the weekend. We fished all day Friday and Saturday on 5 different streams all on the northern part of the park. It was great not to have a time constraint while fishing. The temperatures were pretty low in the mornings so the fishing heated up toward the late afternoons and lots of hatches were going on. In one particular stream the water was so clear and at a deep pool we can clearly see trout rising and either striking or rejecting our dry flies. We tried a whole bunch of dries to "match the hatch" and finally got a few on a dry that I never fished with before prior to this trip.

Our goal this weekend was get a 3 species slam so we started out at a larger stream known to hold browns and we both got a small brown trout each.

Then we moved to a smaller stream in search of rainbows and brookies and we got plenty of those.

I found that the brookies up there were much more vibrant in color compared to the ones I caught in north Georgia.

All in all, it was a great weekend of camping and fishing. I was happy to be able to fish some dries and dry droppers although the size of the fish were much smaller compared to my regular place in the hooch.
    Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Great report!
    And, I know you agree: sacrificing size for the beauty of that place and those fish... worth it!
    Wish we'd known you were up there, we would have harassed you and spooked all your holes! HAHA. JK

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
      Great report!
      And, I know you agree: sacrificing size for the beauty of that place and those fish... worth it!
      Wish we'd known you were up there, we would have harassed you and spooked all your holes! HAHA. JK
      Yup! haha I can't believe you guys were there also. We actually fished the same stream and walked by the same weird tree stump! What are the chances?!?!

Comment

Great report. That 1st stream picture is absolutely perfect. Wow. Great fish pix, too. Looks like an awesome day.
        "A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..." George Washington

Comment

Originally posted by 3-wt View Post
          Great report. That 1st stream picture is absolutely perfect. Wow. Great fish pix, too. Looks like an awesome day.
          Thanks 3wt. And thanks for the message through Sighter.

Comment

Nice report

The park spent many years restoring the native specks and its paying off

Comment

Very nice trip and photo's! It looked like a great trip!
              Lake Lanier & Brevard NC

Comment

Thanks Trout1980 and Fishemon!

Yeah, the brookies are doing well over there, even in the lower elevations and some close to the road so you don't have to hike far.

Comment

Working...
                X