Estes park Colorado - Fly fishing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estes park Colorado - Fly fishing

I will be in Estes Park, CO in Mid - June; any tips, fly patterns, etc?

Thanks in Advance!

Estes Park

There are 4-5, maybe more, fly shops in Estes Park. I would suggest dropping in one or two and pick up a few flies, maybe a map. We were there in late July, so not sure about mid-June conditions, sorry. But you have the Big T and St. Vrain in/around Estes Park and of course you can venture into RMNP, the Upper Big T etc. Our target was the greenback cutts. inside the Park there is access road side or if you hike you can hike up a trib. and find small water and lots of eager trout. A 30-45 minute hike can put you on fish and some solitude.

My suggestion would be to simply drop in a shop, tell them what type of fishing you are interested in (easy access, hike, scenery, etc), grab a map and go.

Comment

Estes Park and RMNP

Look for water and fish there. That should do it.

Okay, maybe a little more effort than that. Mid June is run-off and all streams will be high and some discolored. I would fish the lakes and ponds in the area. There is a tailwater below the dam on the east side of Estes than can be very productive. Cannot recall the name of the fly shop in town, but go there first and get the local report and waters and flies.

The road up to Trail Ridge may not be open yet so that pretty much closes the west side of the park. You can go south on the Peak to Peak highway to the Brainard Lake area but that road may not be open either. For a good day trip, pack lunch and drive down Big Thompson canyon. Get a map, but at the bottom of the canyon go left on the road to Stove Prarie and Masonville. It takes you to Poudre Canyon and there is a tailwater below Seaman resevouir.

Comment

Working...
      X