first time caller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time caller

First of all, after a 40 year hiatus, I have picked up the fly rod and have gleaned a lot of good info from this forum. Up until the last year or so, I have strictly fished for crappie on most of the border lakes (SC/GA). I guess the fly rod is a circle fulfillment for me of types. Since I started back fly fishing, I have mainly fished the Chattooga & some of the NC mountain streams. My buddy and I have decided to make a trek to YNP, West Yellowstone, Jackson on August 3rd before we are unable (physically) to do it. I'm sure our wives have other things in mind besides fishing....but I plan on doing as much as possible. I know from reports I've read that some of the streams will be too warm...any suggestions on streams/lakes/guides for this time frame. August 3-11th...
    Appreciate any suggestions...

Welcome friend! Be sure to hit the Firehole while you are in the park.
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Keep Open Mind

Keep an open mind on fishing. Yes, it may be too warm and Montana actually closes some of their streams if the water is too hot. But there are many other streams in the area and of course some tail waters. Do some local intel research before you go and see what you can find.

Comment

Read the reports and sign up for the newsletter and check in at the shop here

http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/

Should be plenty of fishable water in and near the park, but the Firehole likely will be too warm.

Comment

I would bet that the Firehole will be too warm to fish in Aug. With the geysers pouring into it, it's already warmer than the other rivers and can overheat easily. I haven't been out there in many years, but the general wisdom when I was there was that late July and August were the times to fish the Lamar, Slough Creek, and the Yellowstone. You should get into some good hopper action out there. Throwing big bugs to rising fish is a ton of fun.

Comment

Firehole Temperatures?

Given the newly developing volcanic activity in the Yellowstone caldera, I wonder if the Firehole has increased in temperature as a result and/or the warmer water found further downstream? It seems Park management does not speak much to this, but a couple years back a geologist wondered why trees were inundated on one end of Yellowstone Lake and not the other. Turns out there is a large area of lake bottom which has bulged 30' higher than it was and the entire lake bed tilted enough to drown trees on one end.

Comment

I fished the Firehole in late August and did pretty good. Those trout are use to the warm water!
              Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
              Simple Goat Herder
              Former NGTO President
              Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by burdawg View Post
                First of all, after a 40 year hiatus, I have picked up the fly rod and have gleaned a lot of good info from this forum. Up until the last year or so, I have strictly fished for crappie on most of the border lakes (SC/GA). I guess the fly rod is a circle fulfillment for me of types. Since I started back fly fishing, I have mainly fished the Chattooga & some of the NC mountain streams. My buddy and I have decided to make a trek to YNP, West Yellowstone, Jackson on August 3rd before we are unable (physically) to do it. I'm sure our wives have other things in mind besides fishing....but I plan on doing as much as possible. I know from reports I've read that some of the streams will be too warm...any suggestions on streams/lakes/guides for this time frame. August 3-11th...
                Appreciate any suggestions...
                burdawg - welcome back to the dark side, or rather the right side (picking up the long rod again)..Best wishes for a great trip and we hope you have great experiences that will last a lifetime..
                Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
                  I fished the Firehole in late August and did pretty good. Those trout are use to the warm water!
                  Buck - I'm trying to get to the Firehole area possibly next May-June.any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated..Thanks!
                  Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
                    As hard as it was for me to believe coming from SC, by late August it starts to cool down again in the park. We actually had snow the first weekend in August when I was there. They closed the Firehole to fishing for most of July and into mid-August that summer. One of the hotel managers who had been out there for many years said that that the Firehole was closed at some point more summers than not. But again, that was 15 years ago.

Because I lived at Old Faithful, I fished the Firehole a TON that summer. I fished every inch of it from wherever it opens to fishing below Old Faithful down to just below the Grand Prismatic parking area. Anything beyond that required a car and if I had access to a car, I wanted to see some new water and scenery. The very first time I went to the river there was an epic caddis hatch and I caught a fish on the very first cast. It wasn't always like that, but I always caught something and I (almost) always only fished dries.

I had a killer few days on Slough Creek. The only time I tried the Lamar it had rained hard the day before and we ended up just hiking. I found the Yellowstone to be tough fishing, but I know others how have done really well on it. Yellowstone Lake was a lot of fun. And those of us who worked in the park had a long list of smaller creeks that we fished. They were often just as good as the well known rivers, but you had the place all to yourself. I fished the Nez Perce with a friend one morning when the Firehole was closed due to heat and we had a blast.

Moral of the story, unless the water is boiling, it probably has trout in it. Enjoy.

Comment

wonderful trip & what I learned

Thanks for all the advice that was given prior to our trip! What I learned:
                      #1 I wish I would have went out there when I was a young man
                      #2 Take plenty of chap stick & skin lotion
                      #3 Play the hand you're dealt
                      #4 catching some fish is better than not catching any fish
                      #5 The bugs were not as bad as expected, but the flies will make you cuss.
                      #6 Take saline solution for your nose, I dug out buggers that were bigger than my flies.
                      #7 Hydrate before and during the trip, limit alcohol...stayed thirsty entire trip
                      #8 Traver's was right, patience is required for wild trout.
                      #9 The Tetons are as beautiful as anything in YNP

Being beginners (basically) at fly fishing, there were a lot of tough lessons learned. We were determined to fish with dry flies, which probably hindered our catch rate in many cases. My friend did not want to hire a guide, and I think that was a mistake to some degree. Although there is some degree of satisfaction when you do it the hard way. Despite the lack of ability to hike away from pressured fish in most cases, we both managed to catch a Snake river cutthroat, although it took us several days to do it. We caught a fair amount of small brown trout in a tributary of the Snake (#16 orange stimi & #14 caddis)..
                      We did fish the Soda Butte creek one afternoon after driving across the park for the girls sightseeing tour. I managed a rainbow from under a logjam despite 20 mph gusts and having to remove several wind knots in my leader. The cutthroat I caught outside the park in the Snake came on a PMD. The Madison was 70-80 degrees and we were told to avoid it. In hindsight, I wish I would have tried Gibbon meadows and if I ever make it back, I will. I also learned that there is a lot of water in Wyoming outside the YNP that is less pressured and I wish I would have spent more time exploring it. As in any pursuit of wild game in a new area, the lessons are costly, but valuable experience is gained. I hope to go back before time expires. Thanks again to those that offered insight. I will try and post some pix later. Burdawg

Comment

Numbers 2, 6, & 7

Yep the mountain west is dry and the wind will suck the moisture right out of you. As you learned, drink water constantly. Because it's dry, your sweat will evaporate before you may even be aware you are sweating so you are unaware how much body fluid you have lost. The other good thing about a lot of water is it helps with the altitude sickness symptoms as well.

Chapstick (or kiss women wearing lots of lipstick), sun block and a good skin lotion after an outing and before you go to bed at night. And wear a hat every day, all day! Wide brim is better and if you feel the sun on the back of your neck, turn up your shirt collar.

Dry nose is part of the dry weather. Try using something like neosporen, put it on a Q-tip and lubricate the inside of your nose each morning.

Comment

Working...
                        X