Thinking about Northern New Mexico

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about Northern New Mexico

Need input about fishing New Mexico ( northern area). I've done Mt,Wy,Co,Id now Id like to try something else...
    any recommendations for that area...due to age and mobility I need smaller water..... would appreciate any thoughts you might be able to share with me.....Thanks
    DO YOURSELF AND THEM A FAVOR.........FISH BARBLESS

Northern NM

Everyone speaks to the San Juan tail waters and their monster trout, but that is big water. But almost everything else in NM is smaller streams. I would google up the fly shops in Santa Fe and Taos and start looking there.

Comment

Thanks I appreciate your suggestion..... I'll google some shops tomorrow...thanks again

Comment

New Mexico

If you go to that area, I recommend staying in Taos and then just do a day trip to Santa Fe. Taos still feels like a western town. Santa Fe has gotten a little too Hollywood for my tastes.

Comment

Make a trip to Santa Fe to High Desert Anglers, good folks, a shop dog and they will put you on the streams. I fished the Pecos, it was mostly a stocked stream but had some good wild fish, a lot of harvesting going on, but I caught over 30 each day I fished it

I also fished the Santa Barbara campground in search of cutthroat, no luck there but I didn't get high enough. The scenery is fantastic and the stream is small so take your time and a mountain rod.
          RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

Many Thanks for this info

Comment

San Juan, Pecos, and Jemez mountains for northern NM

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

High Desert Anglers

"High Desert Anglers". Thanks RScott for the name reminder of that shop! Have been there several times and they were very gracious hosts when TU had our annual meeting in Santa Fe about three years ago. One other thing I wanted to mention about Taos is that you can walk to most of the restaurants, bars and shops from any of the inns in town. Highly recommend the tour of the Kit Carson home, and, recommend staying at any non-chain lodging - some great places in Taos.

Comment

Me and some buddies leave this coming Saturday for a 7 day trip to northern New Mexico, staying in Aztec which is about 45 minutes below Durango, CO. Will try to post an update when we return.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your help.... really appreciate it

Comment

My cousin is starting a guiding business on the San Juan - he's fished there his whole life. Even if you don't go with him, he can give you some pointers on access (he operates mostly out of Navajo Dam) although by his admission, you need a drift boat to get to a lot of the world class water.

PM me if you want his contact info.

Durango, ~ 1hr north or so, has a great fly shop downtown, and the Animas is outside of town. Rivers out there were really low when I was out there this past July.

Good luck!

Comment

Dining

NM has some great tex-mex food with a more western flair than you would find in the east, and a great blending in of some native American foods as well. However, know your colors! In most of the mountain west you will be asked if you want red or green chili. Red meaning "STOP" as in stop right now that's hot enough, and, Green means "GO" as in go for the water. But in NM it is reversed. And by all means get yourselves some Hatch chillis. They are the gold standard for southwest cooking.

Comment

Do a search for my posts about the San Juan. It is actually pretty easy wading. The river is close to the road, there's plenty of shallow water out of the current to wade, the water is clear enough to see where you're going, and the rocks are not as slippery as the N Georgia streams. It's a tailwater and can get crowded, but you are guaranteed a ton of really healthy fish and their diet is almost 100% midges, so catching them is relatively easy.

Don't fish the Pecos. It's a crappy put and take stream. It gets hammered.

Taos is a cool little town. I fished the Rio Grande near there and did okay once. Not too far away is the Rio Chama, which I've never fished but have been told is a good spot to check out. I like Santa Fe, too. As someone else said, the food out there is amazing.

Comment

Working...
                          X