New trophy trout lake in North Carolina

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New trophy trout lake in North Carolina

Apalachia Lake in far western part of the state.

Looks like it will be NC's version of Lake Burton.

Designate Apalachia Reservoir in Cherokee County as Public Mountain Trout Waters and classify as Special Regulation Trout Waters and establish a 3-fish daily creel limit including only one trout greater than 14 inches.

Close to my cabin too.
    Catch the energy
    Release the potential

Comment

Apalachia Lake

Yep, it is considered a trophy trout fishery but it's not easy. You will need a boat - shoreline access is limited, forested to the water line, and very steep. The fish tend to be very large and very deep - as I have heard from our NC wildlife folks - and the trout feed on herring or something similar. No one talks about it very much because yes you can catch a trophy trout but likely not on fly tackle.

On the other hand, I have seen the photos of some of the browns NC wildlife has brought up from the depths while conducting their studies. Let me put it this way, having seen some of those trout I would think twice about swimming in that lake .................

Comment

Originally posted by trout1980 View Post
        Apalachia Lake in far western part of the state.

Looks like it will be NC's version of Lake Burton.
        Burton couldn’t hold that lakes jockstrap.

It’s not new, rather newish. Been fishing it for a little while now. Topwater browns schooling on herring is fun. We’ve gotten on them a couple of trips during the herring spawn. That’s the only time you’ve really got a shot on the fly.

It’s exceedingly difficult to fish without specialized deep water trolling gear. Not fly friendly except for a couple months of the year. A murderous ramp.

It’s a lake that will humble you very fast. Although if you can figure it out it’s fun. Guys that fish deep clear lakes with point structure for smallies would enjoy this lake.
        I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

You mention a tough ramp? I take it the ramp is steep and difficult to launch or load boat when generation takes place.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo View Post
            You mention a tough ramp? I take it the ramp is steep and difficult to launch or load boat when generation takes place.
            Both, and it does a 90 degree turn on a 10 foot radius.
            I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by browniez View Post
              Burton couldnít hold that lakes jockstrap.

Itís not new, rather newish. Been fishing it for a little while now. Topwater browns schooling on herring is fun. Weíve gotten on them a couple of trips during the herring spawn. Thatís the only time youíve really got a shot on the fly.

Itís exceedingly difficult to fish without specialized deep water trolling gear. Not fly friendly except for a couple months of the year. A murderous ramp.

Itís a lake that will humble you very fast. Although if you can figure it out itís fun. Guys that fish deep clear lakes with point structure for smallies would enjoy this lake.
              It reminds me strongly of the Jocassee fishery on the NC/SC line, albeit one with more favorable temps farther up the water column. Live bait is king.

Comment

What makes it better than Burton?

Comment

Originally posted by trout1980 View Post
                  What makes it better than Burton?
                  Elevation and a cold *** release from the dam upstream. Also, it's in BFE, and, as mentioned, has a godawful ramp; it receives minimal fishing pressure.

Comment

Check out dprider02 on Youtube. A Dual sport Biker with a ride to the dam & boat ramp,
                    Titled Appalachia dam & powerhouse.
                    Catch the energy
                    Release the potential

Comment

Why Trophy Lake?

It became a trophy lake officially a couple years ago but had been a pig producer for years before that. It is something of a curiosity for NC Wildlife to manage almost as a working laboratory.

Comment

Originally posted by Dylar View Post
                        Elevation and a cold *** release from the dam upstream. Also, it's in BFE, and, as mentioned, has a godawful ramp; it receives minimal fishing pressure.
                        Burton is about 1,866 ft at full pool, Apalachia is about 1,273. Must be the cold release and rural location?

Comment

Hiwassee Lake upstream of this one has a 300 foot high dam so cold water releases would make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHNKIES View Post
                            It became a trophy lake officially a couple years ago but had been a pig producer for years before that. It is something of a curiosity for NC Wildlife to manage almost as a working laboratory.
                            The regs I posted are proposed for next year so not sure what the regs are now but sounds like it gets light pressure regardless.

There are some big lake trout in several other NC lakes, unlike GA which just as Burton as a major trout lake.

As said its just a pain to fly fish for them.

Comment

Originally posted by buckman1 View Post
                              Burton is about 1,866 ft at full pool, Apalachia is about 1,273. Must be the cold release and rural location?
                              The elevation of the source matters more than the elevation of the lake for mountain impoundments. The Hiwassee and its feeders come off massive hills in the core of the escarpment. It comes down from 5000'+. Apalachia just sits at the bottom of what used to be a massive gorge. Although, come to think of it, the source of the Tallulah is probably 4500'+, too. Upstream bottom release is magic stuff.
                              Last edited by Dylar; 10-17-18, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X