How long will it last?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long will it last?

Anyone have a prediction on how long it will be before the Hooch will be fishable (safe) for the typical wading fly fisherman? I checked the Lake Lanier level today and it is 3.4 ft above after 60+ hours of full discharge which started Saturday at 12:01 AM. Levels at Jones Bridge look to be 10 ft vs the normal 2-3 ft. There's a lot of water to move.

Based on a real rough estimate of them pulling 5.5billion cubic feet of water off the dam at 5,500cfs, it should take 12 days of release to draw it down.

Comment

12 days if we have no more rain during those 12 days. 12 can turn into 21 very easily
      BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
      Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Also, add a foot to that. Full winter pool is 1070ft asl not 1071 like in the summer. It will probably take a good 14 days or more.
        #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
        -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
        -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
        -PH

Comment

Kind of an odd pattern to the release:

USGS.02334430.39462.00060..20181231.20190107.log.0.p50.png

Comment

Originally posted by Trout8myfly View Post

Itís gonna take a bit more split shot to get those euro rigs down in the sweet spot with those kind of flows.

Comment

Originally posted by Trout8myfly View Post

My guess is that they are "pulsing" the releases for the maximum volume while minimizing downstream flooding.
              Last edited by natureman; 01-07-19, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Oh good, I was afraid the ACE had accidentally linked to a stock market site.

Comment

Originally posted by natureman View Post

My guess is that they are "pulsing" the turbines to release the maximum amount while minimizing downstream flooding.
                  That or they be stopping on regular bases to clean the intake screens. I'm sure the debris load is heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bfish View Post

That or they be stopping on regular bases to clean the intake screens. I'm sure the debris load is heavy.
                    Debris on the intake side has not been a problem. The trash rake that was part of the Powerhouse construction was removed due to lack of use many years ago. In this video at 5:11 you can see the intake under construction and before the lake was filled.

Comment

Cool info Natureman, not the "typical" construction that I see here in TVA land, as there intakes at or near the surface. Loved the video!

Comment

Naturemann. Thank you once again for your posts. You dispense so much knowledge and history. Its appreciated by the younger crowd.

My guess is Feb 1st.
                        I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Who knows? With more rain on the way next week, they might stop it for a day or two to avoid downstream flooding right around those rainy days. So you might have an opportunity to wade the dam around then. After that, 24/7 again for at least 3 weeks probably.
                          Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

That video was amazing. How long did it initially take to fill the Lake?

Comment

Originally posted by Bboyd View Post
                              That video was amazing. How long did it initially take to fill the Lake?
                              O Feb.1, 1956 the gates were closed and the lake began filling. In May, 1959 the lake reached its full level for the first time. For those interested in Lake Lanier history, David Coughlin's book "Lake Lanier A Storybook Site" is the definitive account.

Comment

Working...
                              X