Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twin World Class Monsters of the Hooch!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin World Class Monsters of the Hooch!!!

Been awhile since I last had something worthy to post to show you guys. Hopefully this is worth a read... Sunday the 27th will be a day that I will NEVER forget!!! It started out with plans made previously with my good friend Dave Bureau. Dave is one of the original founding members of NGTO from long ago and used to post under the name of 'Hooker'. We set out with our sights set on finding some good water as saturday Sighter & myself put 74 fish in the boat so I knew something good was building to Sunday.
    We began our drift and had some good success starting out immediately getting nine in the boat, but nothing of size. After a nice long float, we moved on to another section of water continuing the search for big browns. This next drift turned out to be quite surprising for the area that we were floating. It was an area with good gradient and a couple of rocks that appeared near the surface and jutted above the surface running parallel with the current which created an interesting set of eddies on the far side towards the middle of the river. I took a rather long cast and watched for the reflection of the white from the offering in the water.
    As I pulled in my retrieve I all the sudden felt a freight train intensity strike that was so intense I thought I had hung on either a rock or submerged timber... but then I saw THE flash. As soon as I saw that I started calling 'BIG FISH!!! BIG FISH!!! GET THE NET DAVE!!!!" while I dealt with a SCREAMING drag on my reel. She was in the current and flashing her sides at us as I tried to work her towards me as she tried to fight and use the current to get back to her home but it was to no avail. As she drew closer she started death rolling in a last ditch effort to evade us.
    As this was occurring, Dave was having some struggles releasign the net but finally it came free and with a near permanent synchronicity. Dave grabbed the net and swung it over and just in time too as she was planning another drag screaming, rod bending run. BOOM! Dave slid the net under her and BOOM, I had gotten a Chattahoochee MONSTER brown trout in the net!!!
    She was a beautiful hen with a tiny bit of orange tint to her flanks with a nice bit of butter showing and few spots which was perfect!!! She had spawned recently and was in the midst of recovering from the spawn is what we are suspecting on why she hit so hard. Taped out to 27"L x 16.5" G which is my new inch record on the Hooch!!! She swam off extremely strong as well(currently working on the release edit to add to post)!!! 73DHZVSl.jpg9xCLRnHl.jpgCPPp7K9l.jpggKNhcQml.jpgbMQa5xFl.jpgRrdnK1Pl.jpgVzJ8Hh0l.jpg

BUT WAIT... THERE'S MORE!!! After floating above the deck of the boat and relishing in my meeting with that amazing fish, Dave and I decided to stop for lunch on the bank. That was probably the most satisfying Publix sub I have ever eaten, lol. We reset, sorted our tackle and ran back on the river and started another drift. The fish were coming in the boat in great numbers at this point for both Dave & myself. Dave caught an incredible rainbow that I have no doubt was either a holdover fish or was spawned in the river as it was 16in with a BRIGHT pink stripe and fins that were tipped white and in perfect shape as well as this fish was probably 3-4" wide!!!
    After that, we moved to a different section and began to drift and dodged some down trees by some rocks and slid over towards this DEEP looking pool with an incredible amount of downed timber that was not tangled but rather laid out with the trees somewhat neat and orderly facing downstream. As Dave worked through the timber, he paused as he reached the end of a log jam and out of nowhere we saw ANOTHER beast come out mouth wide open and inhale his offering in a flash! The fight was on!!!
    She immediately ran and attempted to get back to her jam but the current was too strong and pulled her out and she began to use that to her advantage making some powerful runs pulling drag as she went. While this was occurring I put down my rod and got at the ready with the net giving Dave words of encouragement as he battled. There was a rock that was inevitable that we had to float over that was creating massive turbulence that was creating whitewater and I was concerned the fish could use the current to shake free but Dave kept great rod tension and worked her up boat side. Ten seconds later, she was in the net!!! She taped out to 25.5" and was thick and powerful and still had her eggs from what it felt like, so there is still hope for a spawn!!! After pulling over to the side of the river and getting her unhooked we got a couple of pictures and revived her and gave her time to recover and she shot off under the boat to hide and then down into the depths. T4oVC7Ul.jpg

All total that day, we put 63 fish in the boat with Dave getting two really unique quality fish!!! They are all out there waiting on YOU to come challenge them. So ask yourself, are you ready to tangle with the Monsters of the Chattahoochee??? Tight lines everyone.
    Attached Files
    #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
    -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
    -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
    -PH

Good Lord. Those are some impressive fish. I don't think I've caught a brown larger than 12" in the Hooch. I may need a boat

You have mastered the art of catching Chattahoochee brown trout. Awesome.

Comment

Wow. What a couple monsters. 140 fish in a weekend is pretty impressive too. What were they eating?

Comment

That was certainly an impressive outing for you guys Phil..Thanks for sharing the story, and pic's of those fantastic fish..
        Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by muddy waters View Post
          Wow. What a couple monsters. 140 fish in a weekend is pretty impressive too. What were they eating?
          Pretty much anything and everything we threw at them. White & yellow dungeons, gold patterns as well as black jigs & pats rubber legs.
          As Browniez has stated previously, the hours spent totaling up in knowledge of the fishery and getting out and applying it is what ultimately caught these fish. Well that and an overwhelming desire to relentlessly pursue them when others choose to wait for the conditions they feel is right.
          #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
          -PH

Comment

So are you saying you caught the fish pictured on the fly? Not saying that it matters but I'm mainly seeing spinning tackle in the boat. If they were on the fly I would imagine that some fast sinking lines would have been needed for what looks to be high flows.

And Congratulations on your PB and some Great looking Hooch Browns!
            Last edited by groundpounder; 01-29-19, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post

White & yellow dungeons, gold patterns as well as black jigs & pats rubber legs.
              Thanks for the info. Iím slowly learning to tie streamers but those articulated dungeons seem like the next step once my skills start improving.

But you had to mention black jigs. Lord knows I donít need another excuse to leave the fly rod sitting on deck while I flip jigs at timber like Iím on a bass circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by groundpounder View Post
                So are you saying you caught the fish pictured on the fly? Not saying that it matters but I'm mainly seeing spinning tackle in the boat. If they were on the fly I would imagine that some fast sinking lines would have been needed for what looks to be high flows.

And Congratulations on your PB and some Great looking Hooch Browns!
                Thanks Todd. To expand my abilities as a trophy trout fishermen I fly fish and spin fish and use a bait caster. Ive noticed with certain fly patterns, there is an immediate translation to spin fishing in trophy hunting. That was some advice Kelly Galloup gave me to not be afraid to blur the lines.
                Rod tubes on that side of the boat arenít long enough for fly rods. The 8wt is on the other side of the boat. Currently Iím throwing a Rio Striper 8wt 250g line. It sinks ok but not as fast as Iíd like. Iím probably going to move up to a 350g sinking line to get deeper. If you have a good recommendation for line I am all ears.
                #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                -PH

Comment

Originally posted by muddy waters View Post

Thanks for the info. Iím slowly learning to tie streamers but those articulated dungeons seem like the next step once my skills start improving.

But you had to mention black jigs. Lord knows I donít need another excuse to leave the fly rod sitting on deck while I flip jigs at timber like Iím on a bass circuit.
                  Different kind of jig. Think stonefly imitations. There is a lot of innovation with jigs, jig flies, articulated jigs & articulated jig flies that are out there if you look for it.
                  #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                  -PH

Comment

Great fish, nice work whether on fly or lure...and thanks for blurring out the background!
                    BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
                    Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

You didn't answer my question directly but I got the answer. As far as lines go... I recently got the new Scientific Anglers Sonar Titan Sink Tip Sink 3 line for river fishing and was very pleased with its performance and handling. I was throwing Big streamers, just not targeting trout.

Again, those are some great looking fish!

Comment

Originally posted by groundpounder View Post
                        You didn't answer my question directly but I got the answer. As far as lines go... I recently got the new Scientific Anglers Sonar Titan Sink Tip Sink 3 line for river fishing and was very pleased with its performance & handling. I was throwing Big streamers, just not targeting trout.

Again, those are some great looking fish!
                        Let me ask you this, you ever met a trophy angler that gives away his secrets of success to a public forum? Why would they leave low hanging fruit for others when itís taken all the time and effort to discover the abilities needed to have success on such a highly pressured river? I havent seen that with either a fly guy or conventional tackle guy, but I have been wrong more than Iíve been right.
                        I will definitely check out the SA line. The other recommendation I got was the Airflo line of stuff. Research time.
                        #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                        -PH

Comment

Nice going. Always an adventure fishing with David.

Comment

Originally posted by FairWeatherFisherman View Post
                            Nice going. Always an adventure fishing with David.
                            Iím actually trying to get him to rejoin the board. The man knows more about the river than anyone else Iíve met in many aspects. Few people know he authored quite the book on the Chattahoochee! Itís on Amazon, Iíll see if I can find it and post a link.
                            #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                            -PH

Comment

So asking if the fish in the pictures were caught on a fly would reveal some big secret of success?! I would share openly whatever fly I am having success with as I feel that is a very minor part in the secret of success. My problem is you infer others to believe you are catching these big fish on the fly. Listing mainly specific flies in your description when asked what was working. Again I didnít ask specifics but only if it was on the fly. You did the same with the last big fish you posted. Skate around questions of using gear versus fly but yet still reference the fly. This is North Georgia Trout Online and nowhere does it state fly fishing only. So if your a gear guy be proud to be a gear guy. If a fly guy so be it. But why try and mislead?
                              Now to quote someone:
                              ďAwareness is the first step towards acceptanceĒ. Philhutch80

Sorry to hijack your thread.
                              Again, nice fishies!

Comment

Working...
                              X