No announcement yet.

Contest - Name the date,

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your floating dock is now your new deck.

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post

Nope, I've got a fuel efficient Subaru Forrester. Its primarily my wife's vehicle
      I drive a 1999 Ford F150. Fossile fuel consuming 19mpg (on a good day). I'd rather drive my truck, especially long trips, than the Forrester
      Boat, yeah, it burns gasoline too...and non-ethanol to boot.
      My apologies if you thought I was serious...just pulling your leg. No offense intended.

Hope you bring home a boatload today!
      All fishermen are liars except you and I...and I’m not so sure about you.

Comment

No problem Rich. Were all good here. I wish I was fishing today. The honey-do list needs to be addressed. But soon!
        BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
        Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by muddy waters View Post
          If the water level website is correct then Lanier is at its third highest recorded level as of this morning. Do downstream residents get warned if they have to release from the emergency sluice/flood down river?
          The answer may be in this 207-page doc. https://www.sam.usace.army.mil/Porta...B%20Buford.pdf

Also, just to be clear, are you referring to the emergency sluices or the spillway (which doubles as a boat ramp)? I assumed you mean the sluices but just wanted to be sure. The spillway comes into play if the level hits and exceeds 1085. A level of 1100 laps over the dam.

From the document:

f. Flood Risk Management Sluice. One sluice, 13.25 feet in diameter, is available for
          4 whenever it is necessary to release water other than by the turbines. The sluice has a dual
          5 entrance, and the flow is regulated by two broome-type gates, each 6.5 feet wide by 13.25 feet
          6 high. SteelFab Incorporated designed and manufactured two new broome-type sluice gates for
          7 installation into the existing gate slots at Buford Dam. Each gate featured an integral jet flow
          8 gate designed to solve a long standing vibration problem during minimum flow releases. The
          9 broome-type gates are supported along either
          10 side by an endless train of rollers, and the
          11 gate seals by the rollers disengaging from
          12 support of the leaf when the gate is
          13 completely closed, allowing hydrostatic forces
          14 to seal the gate. The new broome-type gates
          15 are shown in Figure 2-6. The location of the
          16 sluice is shown in Figure 2-9.
          17 The discharge capacity of the sluice with
          18 the pool at full, flood risk management pool of
          19 1,085 feet NGVD29 is 11,590 cubic feet per
          20 second (cfs). Releases can be made through
          21 the flood-control sluice down to elevation 919
          22 feet NGVD29. Sluice rating curves are shown
          23 in Plate 2-7. Normal discharge up to 600 cfs
          24 is accomplished through one of two 36-inch
          25 jet valves installed in the sluice gates.
          26 Discharge in excess of 600 cfs requires raising the broome-type gates as described above. Use
          27 of the sluice is not uncommon. It is often used to supplement flows for minimum flow
          28 requirements when the smaller hydropower unit is out of service. It is also used to help
          29 evacuate water out of the flood pool in the event that one of the large hydropower units is out of
          30 service. Occasionally, requests are made to open the sluice to improve the dissolved oxygen
          31 downstream of the dam. It is believed that the water spraying out of the jet flow gate aerates
          32 the water and raises the dissolved oxygen level. There is yet to be any concrete evidence that
          33 discharges through the sluice gates actually improve dissolved oxygen in the river and requests
          34 of this nature are considered on a case by case basis. The frequency of operation of the sluice
          35 can vary widely from 0 to 4 or more times annually and can remain opened for a duration of a
          36 matter of hours up to many days in the event of a prolonged hydropower unit outage.

Comment

The WATER CONTROL MANUAL quoted above is definitely informative for those who want to know how things work at Buford Dam. I think it could be a "sticky".
            Last edited by natureman; 02-26-19, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X