How come fishing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come fishing

at night is illegal on the Hooch below Lanier?

Thanks

So you donít die?
    @glennmau

Comment

So the rangers can more easily monitor the river and fisherfolk and still have semi-normal lives.

And so you don't die. (The rescue folks love to help those in need but dying forces them to do more paperwork.)

Comment

It was the recommendation of several agency's Office of Counsel staff when the CRNRA was created. I sat in on one of the meetings. Visitor and rescue staff safety as well as liability were the main concerns.
        Last edited by natureman; 03-25-19, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gau16 View Post
          So you donít die?
          Haha Hilarious but probably true.
          Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

At least where I normally fish itís too dang shallow to navigate at night. Last summer I took a 20 min detour on the way back to the ramp to tow some kayakers back to their car at 400 and it left me returning in the dark with just a headlamp. My first issue was almost hitting a piling of the Roswell road bridge in the fog when I still had a little light left. My second issue was hitting every bit of sand and rock before the azalea boat ramp with my lower unit as I tried to beach.

Comment

Originally posted by natureman View Post
              It was the recommendation of several agency's Office of Counsel staff when the CRNRA was created. Visitor and rescue staff safety as well as liability were the main concerns.
              That makes sense.

Comment

Sure would be fun to fish for some big browns when they come into more shallow water to feed at night.

Comment

I'm almost positive that while fishing at night is illegal it happens regularly. I can remember a dozen times seeing guys walking in at settles, on foot or with Yaks, as I was leaving as the sun was setting... by the looks of the gear they were toting it didn't look like they were just hitting the river for a few casts.

Comment

Trout fishing at night is illegal and clearly stated in the DNR regulations, but some people believe theyíre exempt from the law and normal standards of behavior.
                    All fishermen are liars except you and I...and I’m not so sure about you.

Comment

Here's the actual regulation:

Fishing 24 hours a day is allowed on all trout streams and all impoundments on trout streams except those in the next paragraph.

Fishing hours on Dockery Lake, Rock Creek Lake, the Chattahoochee River from Buford Dam to Peachtree Creek, the Conasauga River watershed upstream of the Georgia-Tennessee state line and Smith Creek downstream of Unicoi dam are 30 minutes before sunrise until 30 minutes after sunset. Night fishing is not allowed.

Comment

Yeah I was thinking night brown trout fishing

Interesting the Conasauga River in the wilderness has no night fishing.

Comment

I wonder if they would ever allow for a single day annual night fishing event and have an extra fee associated to participate. Wade only. Keep it restricted to the dam, and maybe Jones Bridge and Settles. PFD required for all areas. There's gotta be a way to make it happen. Ive never fished it, but the White in Arkansas allows night fishing and is COE.

Comment

I'd be concerned that those who keep fish they catch would make a killing at nite and possibly put pressure on the population of browns.

Comment

Originally posted by TLMunck View Post
                              I wonder if they would ever allow for a single day annual night fishing event and have an extra fee associated to participate. Wade only. Keep it restricted to the dam, and maybe Jones Bridge and Settles. PFD required for all areas. There's gotta be a way to make it happen. Ive never fished it, but the White in Arkansas allows night fishing and is COE.
                              All the no to this idea man. I do not think you grasp how poor the enforcement is in the entire state of Georgia from a LEO perspective let alone on the Chattahoochee. That would be the first issue. Secondly, wading at night would be far far more dangerous than during the day because of lack of ability to see. The White River is a much larger river that does not have the same issues the Chattahoochee does from an enforcement perspective as well as the fact that due to the severe bank erosion and scouring effect. We have massive amounts of strainers and downed timber throughout the section of the river from Buford Dam to Morgan Falls and even at low flows if you were to slip and get stuck in one of those it could potentially be game over.
                              #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                              -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
                              -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                              -PH

Comment

Working...
                              X