Turned off the faucet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turned off the faucet

Not sure why but they turned off the faucet at the dam yesterday for a couple hours and I was able to sneak out and jump in the water.
    Air temps in the low 70s, partly cloudy skies, crystal clear waters = perfect day for some wet wading.
    When I showed up at the parking lot, I expected to see all the usual suspects, aka The trucks of big t, trout r, wprich, Erik, sighter, etc. I guess they didn't believe the recording, as I didn't either. I walked in, hopped in, and immediately started catching fish. First browns, small browns, then for about 90 minutes it was nothing but rainbows, and dang did the DNR dump some lunkers in there. Thanks DNR! When you're used to 8" browns, having a giant brood fish take out drag is quite a surprise....

I didn't take any fish pictures, but I did take one picture. As I was walking out, I started to get a dry bite, ended up with eight, mixed bows and browns on a big old Stimi and nothing on my dropper. I was confused because that's all they were hitting all day, and you know I didn't change flies once....

When I finally looked at the fly at the end of the line this is what I found

good old "experience" torn up by them trout teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, man. I wanted to get out there in the afternoon when I heard the recording but then they changed their minds and I wouldn't have been able to fish anyway. Back to all day releases.
    Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

Glad you had a great time Splatek. You are one crazy man to wet wade in the tail water. How many did you end up catching?

Comment

So the fabled experience fly is just a black thread midge?? Wouldn’t have guessed that.

Ive got to get a pfd for dam fishing. Ever since I realized I wasn’t legal I haven’t been back and it hurt me to miss yesterday morning’s lull

Comment

There is also no release today until noon, which is pretty soon.
          I decided to pull out the good old spinning rod and put on an all gold 1/4 oz Panther Martin. Caught limit, took it home.

What makes the day even better is my first experience with a hooch monster brown trout. Have never seen one on the hooch up till this morning. It tried, multiple times, to devour the stocker rainbows I was reeling in. It stopped the aggression once the sun started shining over the trees. Big splashes, big leaps, I wish I had a go-pro. Had to be 30+ inches. Quite a sight.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumis View Post
            There is also no release today until noon, which is pretty soon.
            I decided to pull out the good old spinning rod and put on an all gold 1/4 oz Panther Martin. Caught limit, took it home.

What makes the day even better is my first experience with a hooch monster brown trout. Have never seen one on the hooch up till this morning. It tried, multiple times, to devour the stocker rainbows I was reeling in. It stopped the aggression once the sun started shining over the trees. Big splashes, big leaps, I wish I had a go-pro. Had to be 30+ inches. Quite a sight.

Wonder if you could have gotten him to bite, if you had a fly rod with a large streamer?

Comment

Originally posted by Trout Hunter 18 View Post

Wonder if you could have gotten him to bite, if you had a fly rod with a large streamer?
              Maybe, but I didn't bring my fly rod. And if I had, I only have a 4wt. No way I'd ever have a chance.

Honestly, I'm not too concerned about catching a big one like that. Seeing it in action was good enough for me.

Comment

Working...
              X