Like riding a bike

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like riding a bike

Itís been a while since the last trout trip. I ventured to some familiar waters today in the kayak and had a fun day. Started the day slinging streamers and boated a half dozen mix of browns and bows. Then swapped over to nymphing and ran the numbers up. Paddled upstream as far as I wanted to go and swapped back over to streamers for the steady drift back down landing several more to the streamers. 38 total for the day with just a few fly variations. Only nymphs I threw were a soft hackle blue assasin and a silver bead lightning bug. Streamers were an yellow/orange sex dungeon and an all olive sex dungeon. Caught fish on all flies.

Good deal! Looks like the fish were hungry for a meal!
    BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
    Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

You still got it. I need to dig around in the box and pull out some blue assassins. Not sure why, but itís like I just stop fishing some flies that I used to fish regularly for absolutely no reason. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Wow. Fantastic! Water looks perfect, fish bitting can't ask for more. I follow ur Instagram post on all the fly's you tie. Did you tie the ones you were using in this trip?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like a heckavu day there.
          sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
          "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

Originally posted by connectionbound View Post
            Wow. Fantastic! Water looks perfect, fish bitting can't ask for more. I follow ur Instagram post on all the fly's you tie. Did you tie the ones you were using in this trip?

Thanks!
            Yes I did tie all the flies. Contrary to the appearance of my instagram page I can tie something other than game changers.

Comment

Nicely done! If you don't mind sharing, what's your technique for throwing streamers from the kayak? I've always tried to swing them from the kayak but that's required me to stop completely for an effective drift.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTuna View Post
                Nicely done! If you don't mind sharing, what's your technique for throwing streamers from the kayak? I've always tried to swing them from the kayak but that's required me to stop completely for an effective drift.
                Lots of mending. I tend to try and pull my streamers downstream(slightly faster than the current) when trout fishing. I've found that brooks and browns prefer to chase a streamer fleeing downstream. Rainbows mostly hit on a swing. So I'm usually casting quartering upstream or straight over to the bank. Sometimes your mending upstream, sometimes downstream . Whichever you are needing to keep your line relatively tight(no big current causing bends) and pulling the fly so its direction is downstream and angling towards you. This will give fish looking upstream a view of the side profile of your fly while it is also an appearance of the fly fleeing downstream escaping something. If you see a fish following that will not commit to eating, speed up your strip. On this last trip I noticed fish giving up even with a slight pause between strips. I learned to continue the fly's movement by pulling the rod downstream in between my strips to keep my fly in a continual motion with these more finicky fish.

Comment

Interesting! Thanks for the info Groundpounder, I'll have to try the downstream presentation next time I'm floating.

Comment

Originally posted by groundpounder View Post

Lots of mending. I tend to try and pull my streamers downstream(slightly faster than the current) when trout fishing. I've found that brooks and browns prefer to chase a streamer fleeing downstream. Rainbows mostly hit on a swing. So I'm usually casting quartering upstream or straight over to the bank. Sometimes your mending upstream, sometimes downstream . Whichever you are needing to keep your line relatively tight(no big current causing bends) and pulling the fly so its direction is downstream and angling towards you. This will give fish looking upstream a view of the side profile of your fly while it is also an appearance of the fly fleeing downstream escaping something. If you see a fish following that will not commit to eating, speed up your strip. On this last trip I noticed fish giving up even with a slight pause between strips. I learned to continue the fly's movement by pulling the rod downstream in between my strips to keep my fly in a continual motion with these more finicky fish.
                    Wow. Going to give this a try as well. For whatever reason I end up pulling against the current when using streamers. Boat position possible. I get alot of "short strikes". Basically hard hits but they don't take it. I have started putting a small fly behind the streamer like and ant or small dry. At least then on the second hit they take it... Sometimes. Other times I just grab a nymph and pick up the fish. Based on what you are doing that seems more about the better drift than the fly.

Comment

Good to see you posting again and giving the striped fish a day off.

Comment

Pretty fish especially the spots on that brown!!!
                        "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger." - Herbert Hoover

Comment

Great report and tips!
                          Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

Curious to know which sections of the river are you kayaking? Not asking for exact spots but just the general areas.

Comment

Originally posted by jdavis View Post
                              Curious to know which sections of the river are you kayaking? Not asking for exact spots but just the general areas.
                              I usually fish the stretch between Ga 20 and Settles. I paddle up from Settles. Its a bit of a workout getting up through Settles shoals but then gets easier once above them.

Comment

Working...
                              X