Sunday below Haw Creek - 12-4ish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday below Haw Creek - 12-4ish

Got out late yesterday. The river was crowded but picked my way from Haw Creek all the way down to mid-island. Started the day with a bunch of the 4-6 inch fish they put in last week. Made my way below the timber and started getting bigger fish. As I made my way downstream I decided to drop my fly right in front of a big boulder as the current circled around the backside of it. Well, first drift I was hit but missed the set. It looked like a good fish from the flash. Second drift and Bam, it was on. I tend to use a 2wt flyrod with a Battenkill II clicker reel(no drag), 6x tippet, and barbless hooks. This purty fish made one or two runs that I was able to stop and not get a bird's nest in my reel. It took a bit but I finally got her out of the current and over the rock/tree trunk that she was sitting behind. There must have been 4 or 5 guys that walked past this spot and did not even try to see if there was a fish there. My guess is she has been there for a couple of weeks, since the DNR has not stocked a lot of huge bows in the past 2 weeks. Unofficially about 18inches, but the girth on her rivals some of the trophy streams up north. I managed one more from that same drift. All in all, my cast and drift were about 5 feet from the end of my fly rod.

Kept on moving downstream and found another run that I pulled about 15 fish to the net. All in all, for a Sunday it was a great day. Lots of people but if you know where to go and have the right fly you can catch the fish. I probably put about 40 in hand. 15 of which were the small 4-6 in bows, a couple of small browns, and the remainder where nice stockers.
    IMG_1640 (1).jpg
    Attached Files

Yeah that's a nice fish. Congrats! Sounds tough on a 2wt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _yero on instagram

Comment

Good gracious! I bet that was a hoot!

Comment

Nice fish! Thanks for the posting!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome! Yeah those things are a blast to reel in... especially on a 2 weight! Thanks for posting it!
          Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

Makes me envious.

Comment

Originally posted by TroutRaider View Post
              Got out late yesterday. The river was crowded but picked my way from Haw Creek all the way down to mid-island. Started the day with a bunch of the 4-6 inch fish they put in last week. Made my way below the timber and started getting bigger fish. As I made my way downstream I decided to drop my fly right in front of a big boulder as the current circled around the backside of it. Well, first drift I was hit but missed the set. It looked like a good fish from the flash. Second drift and Bam, it was on. I tend to use a 2wt flyrod with a Battenkill II clicker reel(no drag), 6x tippet, and barbless hooks. This purty fish made one or two runs that I was able to stop and not get a bird's nest in my reel. It took a bit but I finally got her out of the current and over the rock/tree trunk that she was sitting behind. There must have been 4 or 5 guys that walked past this spot and did not even try to see if there was a fish there. My guess is she has been there for a couple of weeks, since the DNR has not stocked a lot of huge bows in the past 2 weeks. Unofficially about 18inches, but the girth on her rivals some of the trophy streams up north. I managed one more from that same drift. All in all, my cast and drift were about 5 feet from the end of my fly rod.

Kept on moving downstream and found another run that I pulled about 15 fish to the net. All in all, for a Sunday it was a great day. Lots of people but if you know where to go and have the right fly you can catch the fish. I probably put about 40 in hand. 15 of which were the small 4-6 in bows, a couple of small browns, and the remainder where nice stockers.
              IMG_1640 (1).jpg
              Nice Job and great pics.

Hawk Creek in Cumming?

Comment

Haw Creek comes into the Hooch just below the west parking lot at the dam.

Comment

Fly you used?

Comment

Originally posted by nmcewen View Post
                    Fly you used?
                    'Experience' fly pattern .

Comment

Originally posted by TroutRaider View Post

'Experience' fly pattern .
                      I just love that answer!!!!!! Ive used it a couple of times, and people look at you as if you have 2 heads.
                      "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger." - Herbert Hoover

Comment

Would been funny if you were really using the experience fly. For black thread and a orange hot spot it works. You do get some looks when people ask what fly you were using and you tell them that though.

Comment

Working...
                        X