Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walker Figured Out Where LeRoy Has Been Hangin'...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walker Figured Out Where LeRoy Has Been Hangin'...

It is always a pleasure to see the trophy brown trout that lurk in the Hooch. Even more so to hook into one on the river and a fish of a lifetime to get one in the net. This past week and weekend we have seen a high number of quality fish with the weather coming through. I was able to get out with Josh Thomas who owns Vibe Kayaks locally and introduce him to the Hooch and promptly we saw a couple of giants. I also was able to get out with our trout biologist, Zach Moran. We had similar experiences with the trout and the weather as well as the week progressed.
    Saturday I made plans to fish with jakkbauer aka Walker and his girlfriend and we were able to get on the water saturday evening. Ashley had some great fish come to hand as well did I including another nice largemouth bass. Walker though had not caught a fish all day and was getting a bit frustrated. So much to the point that he jokingly mentioned if he caught a fish that he might have to sacrifice it to get more bites.
    Wouldn't you know it, the next cast he caught a brown and was rather upset about it as he really did not want to hurt or sacrifice a brown but it certainly made us all laugh about it. In the midst of this, we made plans to fish in the morning further down the river. Sunset, a few fish in the boat and some good laughs made for a good saturday.
    Sunday greeted Walker & myself at the predetermined ramp and we set off on our float. As we made our first drift, Walker mentioned that he had seen a big fish follow all the way up to boat. No fish the first drift, second drift though we did run into a nice brown and again, Walker saw the same big fish. If you have fished the Hooch for big browns, sometimes you have the big fish mojo on you and with Walker seeing two big fish, I felt the big fish mojo was on him.
    We drifted a lot further down on the second drift, talking to a few anglers along the way having minimal success. I ran into a nice brown again on that drift as well.
    Further down, I adjusted the drift to accommodate for some shoals we were approaching. Walker threw over towards a log that extended down into the water. I reeled in and prepared for another cast as Walker stated he thought he was hung up. "No wait, I think it's a fish. Nope I am hung up." Walker exclaimed as I spun the boat. "WAIT, NO THIS IS A FISH!!! AND A GOOD ONE!!!" Walker stated excitedly.
    At that point I was spinning the boat to prepare for some shoals we were approaching and that was when we got the first golden flashes of LeRoy. The fish ran hard under the boat but Walker recovered. Then the fish ran hard downstream towards the next shoals but again Walker was able to recover. Walker was hyperventilating and super excited. I can remember the excited feeling myself when I was hooked into my first trophy fish on the Hooch. I reminded him to calm down and the fish was hooked well and to remember to breath.
    The fish ran downstream again and I grabbed the net and headed back mid-deck on the SS WOOOOOOO!!! The fish ran downstream again, Walker recovered and guided the fish towards the net. With one scoop, Walker's prize was in the net!!!
    He taped out at 23.5" length by 13.5" girth and was in splendid colors getting ready for the upcoming spawn. The joy Walker was experiencing was Cloud 9 like, lol!!! It was an incredibly satisfying feeling helping someone else realize their new PB for brown trout. Chasing them on the Hooch is not like other trout waters. It takes time, dedication and a willingness to be skunked from time to time. All that pent up frustration Walker had through the weekend was laid to rest when he was able to scoop that beast up and let him go!
    Walker did catch a couple more decent trout but none of this fishes stature. I also ran into one of the most beautiful browns I have ever seen come out of the Hooch since I began fishing again. Solid 20" fish to complement the two other 18" fish I caught. All the fish swam away healthy and strong. Our day ended with a light rain falling as we celebrated the success of the day and adding another successful angler to a list of those who have caught a trophy brown trout out of the Hooch! I hope this inspires you to try to go for a trophy yourselves!!!

IMG_4827 edited.jpgIMG_4820.JPGIMG_4821.JPGIMG_E4825.JPG23.5in brown 2 edited.jpg20in Leopard Spot Hooch Brown Left.jpg20in Leopard Spot Hooch Brown Right.jpg20in Leopard Spot Hooch Brown Amazement edited.jpg20in Leopard Spot Hooch Brown Grandeur edited.jpgIMG_4803.JPG
    #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
    -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
    -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
    -PH

Great write up, Phil. And great fish of course...
    Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

DUDE Phil sick write up man. That was quite a powerful log!!!!! Man what an absolute blast. Phil is forgetting to give more story time to his fish. After seeing a couple of big ones myself I saw Phil pull in a couple of realllllly nice fish, the kind where you toss your rod down on the boat to get the net. Things were going really well and I was just thinking if I got a fish like the ones he was catching I would be STOKED. One after another QUALITY fish, somewhere in the mix he got a gorgeous rainbow that really gave me hell on the net zigging every time I zagged. It was fat and colorful. Thats when I got slammed by the living log. I freaked out Phil kept super cool and we got that thing into the boat. Phil is a pro at handling the net, and the camera. Somewhere in the mix while I was trying to stop shaking and start breathing he got a length, girth, and even snapped detail shots in case I ever want a replica... UMMMMMMMM how good a friend is that!??? I had no idea this was going on but I did know it was the fish of a lifetime. Crazy how it all comes together. Thanks for the good times as always and this time especially thanks for that trophy brown brotha!!!!!!

Comment

Just amazing that those fish are in the hooch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jakkbauer View Post
          DUDE Phil sick write up man. That was quite a powerful log!!!!! Man what an absolute blast. Phil is forgetting to give more story time to his fish. After seeing a couple of big ones myself I saw Phil pull in a couple of realllllly nice fish, the kind where you toss your rod down on the boat to get the net. Things were going really well and I was just thinking if I got a fish like the ones he was catching I would be STOKED. One after another QUALITY fish, somewhere in the mix he got a gorgeous rainbow that really gave me hell on the net zigging every time I zagged. It was fat and colorful. Thats when I got slammed by the living log. I freaked out Phil kept super cool and we got that thing into the boat. Phil is a pro at handling the net, and the camera. Somewhere in the mix while I was trying to stop shaking and start breathing he got a length, girth, and even snapped detail shots in case I ever want a replica... UMMMMMMMM how good a friend is that!??? I had no idea this was going on but I did know it was the fish of a lifetime. Crazy how it all comes together. Thanks for the good times as always and this time especially thanks for that trophy brown brotha!!!!!!
          Dude it came together perfectly! I did come across some really quality fish for sure. That rainbow was silly! I think it could be one of the trout in the classroom fish as it had nice colors and parr markings similar to what Iíve seen those fish look like.
          Hahahahahaha, the Living Log is such a good nickname for this fish! I really enjoyed netting that fish man! Sixth fish Iíve either netted or caught since last Labor Day that was 22in or bigger!
          #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
          -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
          -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
          -PH

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post

Dude it came together perfectly! I did come across some really quality fish for sure. That rainbow was silly! I think it could be one of the trout in the classroom fish as it had nice colors and parr markings similar to what Iíve seen those fish look like.
            Hahahahahaha, the Living Log is such a good nickname for this fish! I really enjoyed netting that fish man! Sixth fish Iíve either netted or caught since last Labor Day that was 22in or bigger!
            need to start getting some "kill marks" on the side of the boat of some fish instead of bombs or some **** xD

Comment

Way to go Walker! Things a tank!

Comment

awesome stuff!!! still waiting to get my hands on a trophy hooch brown, I know its going to happen one of these days

Comment

Working...
                X