Caddis?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caddis?

What time of day do the Caddis hatch in the hooch?

The last spring prior to this one that I fished the hooch regularly was '97 and I remember fantastic dry-fly action. This spring I've been out 2-3 times/week and have yet to see it. I'm wondering if the problem is the time of day because I work evenings so I've been fishing at dawn, and don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining I'd just like to be in the middle of a swarm of caddis flies like I remember.

I've usually seen a greater number of caddis hatching right before sunset. On a nice warm day you may get a couple sporadic hatches during the day but majority have been in the evening.
    Nothing is impossible the impossible just takes a little longer. So take your time and enjoy the experience.
    sigpic

Comment

What SS said. Thicker hatches during the last hour of daylight has been my experience as well so far. Only sporadic hatches earlier in the day. I would hit the water from 5pm until dusk for best results. Also, during those sporadic hatches, fish a dry with a pupa/emerger dropper until the dry action heats up. This has been very productive for me recently.
      WF
      sigpic
      There's nought as queer as folk.

"From the end of May to the end of August, a drizzling or thoroughly wet day is the best; next to which is a showery one, and then a bright day with a breeze of wind; a dark day without wind is the worst of all." W.C. Stewart

Comment

Working...
      X