No announcement yet.

Bad taste on my home waters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always wondered the quality of the trout meat. This is actually one of the reasons why i haven't ever harvested one from the hooch except for near the dam when they were fresh stockers, and that was years ago. Thanks for the info guys, I am going to read it and decide if I will have fish fry after DH is done.

Comment

Looks good..... But

Well I still would never trust to eat fish from the hooch. I am sure that if the bacteria levels are low you sure could eat up. Ummm. I still am very leary of the levels of mercury, farm chems., ETC. I know that the arguement is you would have to eat well enough fish to get to those levels. I just don't feel like risking it. If I want fish I usally go get farm rasied. Cleaner more controlled. I don't even like to much wild salmon. Love the taste of it but we did watch the amount my wife ate before my daughters birth.

Good luck..... Does the fish from the hooch smell fishy when you eat it?
      Know Your Chief asset, your great talent, cultivate it, and help along the other...... Baltasar Gracian (Aphorism 34)

Comment

Originally posted by Myownchef View Post
        ..... Does the fish from the hooch smell fishy when you eat it?
        Smells like chicken.
        "To be is to do." - Aristotle
        "To do is to be." - Niche
        "Do do be de do be de do.." - Sinatra

Comment

Originally posted by zacmac2112 View Post
          From what i have heard, the issue with the upper hooch is that there is not enough food and too many small browns competing for it. In bass ponds wildlife managers often reccomend culling out small fish to allow more food for larger fish. supply and demand
          This is common with any situation with insufficient habitat and/or food. Natural reproduction tends to result in over population and an abundance of small fish. The only way to alleviate the problem is to thin out the population of juveniles or increase food supply. On the pond I fish, I will "brain" the small bass and feed them to the alligator snappers. I also like to fry up the gills and crappie to help things
          "Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!" - author unknown

Comment

From what i have heard, the issue with the upper hooch is that there is not enough food and too many small browns competing for it. In bass ponds wildlife managers often reccomend culling out small fish to allow more food for larger fish. supply and demand
            Sounds logical, although couldn't those same fish become the bait...

Keep in mind that trophy brown trout are not going to be caught with regularity because they are largely nocturnal, and scholarly when compared to the rainbow. Upon growing a certain size a trout will become cannibalistic. You're not going to catch or hear of people catching trophy trout on dries, nymphs, or midges often. It doesn't mean large fish are not present, however.

Musselwhite
            Musselwhite

Comment

Originally posted by Musselwhite View Post
              Sounds logical, although couldn't those same fish become the bait...
              Musselwhite
              When they are smaller, certainly. But I would think it's going to take a real monster brown to eat one 7"-9" long.

I've been staying away from the small browns in the upper tailwater and concentrating on put and take streams for the occasional pan fried dinner, mostly to avoid upsetting people. But if it is the general consensus that some of them need to be thinned, I'd certainly be happy to fry up a few of those 9 inchers now and then.
              "To be is to do." - Aristotle
              "To do is to be." - Niche
              "Do do be de do be de do.." - Sinatra

Comment

C&R what ever do you meanHeck I keep all my fish.I usually keep a stringer with me and every trout I catch I'll put it on the stringer and every time I get a bigger one I take the smaller one off and replace it with the bigger one.I guess you can call that catch and Release.I just don't understand but when I do release the smaller ones they go belly up.
                DILLIGAF

Comment

yahoo's

A couple topics in this post here.

First, Yahoos.... I was fishing the DH a couple weeks ago and had a guy who apparently wanted to get downstream faster than me so walked right through my fishing lane, walking within 5 ft of my indicator! I did not want to spoil his opportunity to actually come in contact with my line so I tossed a cast at him..... Still amazing to me in a river that is 200ft wide and easily waded that a moron would either be a) so ignorant, or b) so rude as to not respect others. I am sure this fellow is a great human outside of fishing (not...).

Second, the DH is C&R Nov-May, right?

Comment

Originally posted by motorbobb View Post
                    Second, the DH is C&R Nov-May, right?
                    Yes, C&R and single hook artifical only. DH season runs from November 1st through May 15th if I am not mistaken.
                    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                    Simple Goat Herder
                    Former NGTO President
                    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by scallen2112 View Post
                      When they are smaller, certainly. But I would think it's going to take a real monster brown to eat one 7"-9" long.

I've been staying away from the small browns in the upper tailwater and concentrating on put and take streams for the occasional pan fried dinner, mostly to avoid upsetting people. But if it is the general consensus that some of them need to be thinned, I'd certainly be happy to fry up a few of those 9 inchers now and then.
                      There is certainly not a consensus. There are many dynamics at play in this ecosystem. Thinking that WE need to help shape a population is funny to me. Keeping fish is a selective pressure that is contradictory to natural selection. Under strict natural selection, the most aggressive feeders are most likely to leave the highest allelic ratio (evolutionary success). keeping fish selects against this trend leaving what, under natural selection, would typically be the weaker members of a population. Allowing this natural competition for food to determine which fish reproduce will ultimately yield a heartier fish.

Population dynamics in a closed system (farm pond) are much different than in a ecosystem such as the hooch tailwater. Just another opinion to ponder.

And you may be surprised about what sized brown trout are eating 7-9" fish. I have had 7" browns take 5" streamers on the tailwater.
                      Can I soak the felt on my wading boots with CDC dressing and walk on water? If so, should I start a church? What should I call it?
                      -FM

Comment

Thru May 14. May 15 is lemon pepper and butter day.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

Trout - It's whats for Dinner

All this talk got me thinking, lemon pepper and butter! Fed a lot of friends, took a black thumper, upstream from Bowmans.....

Didn't have a stringer, so I stuffed it down my waders......

RScott
                          RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

You heartless b*****d! I'm thinking that you'll have to get the new G4's now due to the fish slime on your old G3's.
                            2flysigpic
                            Pat

http://www.freewebs.com/georgiaflyfishingteam/
                            http://https://www.facebook.com/2flyGuideService
                            http://www.2flyguideservice.com
                            You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie.

Comment

Originally posted by RScott View Post
                              All this talk got me thinking, lemon pepper and butter! Fed a lot of friends, took a black thumper, upstream from Bowmans.....

Shoot how many miles is it to Helen again?

Nice piggie.
                              I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RScott View Post

Didn't have a stringer, so I stuffed it down my waders......

RScott
                                I think I may have paid to see that!
                                By reading the above post the reader hereby acknowledges and agrees that the Post may contain errors, omissions, sarcasm and humor (both attempted and actual) or other contents which might upset a Reader. If Reader has a problem with this then Reader shouldnít read the Post or take it seriously. If Reader fails to refrain from reading or taking the Post seriously as mentioned above, then it is the Readerís own fault and I donít want to hear about it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X