Go To Fly for the Hooch~Red Squirrel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go To Fly for the Hooch~Red Squirrel

I don't hear anything about this fly anymore. I still keep them in my fly box. When I fished the hooch in an earlier life (25 years ago) the "Red Squirrel" was my GO TO fly, 10-12 & 14's weighted (bead head) and not. I quartered cast and fished it like a streamer. I still see this fly at the fly shops. Next time you're at the fly shop pick up one.

If I could only pick one fly for the Hooch. This just might be the one for me.

What would be your GO TO fly for the Hooch?

U have a pic of one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It was working for me yesterday, Remoh! Everything tan/light was working and I dug one out of the bottom of my box when I lost my other light colored nymphs. fish were hitting in on the swingle and dangle

Originally posted by Remoh View Post
      I don't hear anything about this fly anymore. I still keep them in my fly box. When I fished the hooch in an earlier life (25 years ago) the "Red Squirrel" was my GO TO fly, 10-12 & 14's weighted (bead head) and not. I quartered cast and fished it like a streamer. I still see this fly at the fly shops. Next time you're at the fly shop pick up one.

If I could only pick one fly for the Hooch. This just might be the one for me.

What would be your GO TO fly for the Hooch?

Comment

I remember that someone recommended that fly to me a while back. I need to find a recipe for it. My favorite fly has got to be a Bead Head Hares Ear tied with a hot spot. It has caught me tons of fish since I started tying it about a year ago now. Tie it in any color and catch fish with it all the time. Here's a picture.

Aidan Knezo
        Follow me on Instagram
        Check out my Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by chasman View Post
          U have a pic of one?

Comment

Red Fox,

Remoh, worked on the Toccoa DH today also. TRW

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for pic. Haven't used that before. Looking forward to trying it out.

Comment

Originally posted by aknezo View Post
                I remember that someone recommended that fly to me a while back. I need to find a recipe for it. My favorite fly has got to be a Bead Head Hares Ear tied with a hot spot. It has caught me tons of fish since I started tying it about a year ago now. Tie it in any color and catch fish with it all the time. Here's a picture.

That's a nice looking fly Aknezo. I just started back tying. I'm going to tie some nymphs with hot spots soon. I found a fly I'm focused in on- on vimeo.com it's called "Double Standard" check that out. Also there is a fellow named "Mikel" on Vimeo. He must be from Portugal (English sub titles) I speak broken Spanish but his Spanish is different. Mikal ties some phenomenal flies

[ame="http://vimeo.com/26551626"]Double Standard on Vimeo[/ame]
                [ame="http://vimeo.com/32901072"]FLYMAGE FLY TYING 1 on Vimeo[/ame]

Comment

Thanks Remoh! On slow days the hot spot seems to attract the fish to the fly better. I don't think there is a problem with spooking any large river fish, but I will probably use more natural flies on smaller streams.

The guys over at Tighline Productions tie up some great flies. I learned to tie by watching those videos and attempting to tie them. I will have to check out mikel. From the looks of it, he ties up some realistic looking flies.
                  Aidan Knezo
                  Follow me on Instagram
                  Check out my Flickr

Comment

[QUOTE=aknezo;759309]I remember that someone recommended that fly to me a while back.

I found out from one of our members it's a Dave Whitlock pattern. It uses belly fur from a Fox Squirrel aka Red Squirrel. I haven't seen a Fox Squirrel in 20 years. Fox Squirrels are 3 times the size of a typical grey squirrel. They look like small cats climbing in the trees. My buddy said Feather Craft (St. Louis) carries Fox squirrel pelts. I just checked their website. They have 'em.

Comment

I started tying the double standard about a year ago. One of the first flies I learned to tie. I saw it on the midcurrent website. This has turned in to one of my go to flies. I usually fish it as the bottom fly when double nymphing.

Comment

Originally posted by cremator View Post
                        I started tying the double standard about a year ago. One of the first flies I learned to tie. I saw it on the midcurrent website. This has turned in to one of my go to flies. I usually fish it as the bottom fly when double nymphing.
                        I was intrigued by the "double standard", the best of 2 worlds. I've watched hundreds of fly tying videos and this pattern is on my to do list. I think I'm going to wrap some extra lead and use a tungsten bead. I need to pick up some feathers at the shop today.

Comment

Red Squirrel - good DH pattern

I used the Red Squirrel on the Tooga a few years ago and the results were amazing. I've tried the pattern a few times since then, but I don't think I've caught a single fish on that pattern other than on DH water. I can't help but wonder if it looks like a wet pellet to the freshly stocked DH fish. Despite my suspicions, I always keep a few Red Squirrel nymphs in my fly box for DH fishing.
                          http://southernhighlandsflyrod.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Remoh View Post

I found out from one of our members it's a Dave Whitlock pattern. It uses belly fur from a Fox Squirrel aka Red Squirrel. I haven't seen a Fox Squirrel in 20 years. Fox Squirrels are 3 times the size of a typical grey squirrel. They look like small cats climbing in the trees. My buddy said Feather Craft (St. Louis) carries Fox squirrel pelts. I just checked their website. They have 'em.
                            Here's a recipe if anyone is interested...

DESIGNED BY: Dave Whitlock
                            HOOK: 5263
                            THREAD: Black
                            TAIL: Hare's mask
                            RIB: Gold tinsel
                            BODY: Red fox squirrel mixed with brown and black Antron
                            LEGS: Mottled brown hen hackle

From the recipe it sounds very similar to a soft hackle hares ear. Except the addition of the red fox squirrel dubbing and antron, which a reddish colored hares dubbing could probably be substituted for. I will tie some up with the reddish hares dub and see how the work for me. Or is the red fox squirrel dubbing the magic that catches all the fish???
                            Aidan Knezo
                            Follow me on Instagram
                            Check out my Flickr

Comment

Thanks Aidan. I'll get some materials accordingly. It's a good fly. I'm working on Holiday Themed nymphs, lol

I think NGTO should have a Holiday Themed Fly contest. Tie a fly and catch a fish with it would be the criteria?

I tied some flies yesterday (nymphs) and I'm calling them Santa Babies. Lots of red and green.

Comment

Working...
                              X