An open letter to the Corps of Engineers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by natureman View Post
    I think you are not seeing the full picture. Lanier/Buford is unique compared to other dams like on the Nantahala that have set release schedules. I can think of few other dams/lakes like Lanier that have such heavy demands placed on them. Lanier holds over 60% of the water in the entire Chattahoochee River corridor, supplies over 5 million people with water, is upstream of a major metro area and downstream provides water needs for numerous cities and large industrial complexes. When SEPA manages the electric grid it many times depends on Buford to take up the slack from coal and natural gas fired power plants. Buford is also know as a "peaking plant" as it can start providing electricity in a matter of minutes vs. gas/coal plants that first have to build up a head of steam which is a lengthy process.

I don't think nitpicking changes in the water release times is justified. They have a job to do and I respect that. It is a complex decision making process involving a multitude of professionals from several agencies. I think many folks don't understand that and instead think it is some lowly government worker throwing a switch and trying to tick folks off. That's not how things work.
    I know you are quoting the company line but thats your opinion and I dont buy that they cant alter the release times somewhat...as I said its sometimes some odd fraction of an hour like 4:47 ETC.there cant be any real reason for that

Comment

Your opinion does not seem to be based on knowledge or experience, just what you choose to believe. I am in no way beholden to the all mighty federal government to be their mouthpiece. So I guess any attempt to explain things further or direct you to those that can is fruitless.
      Last edited by natureman; 03-21-14, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daves deceiver View Post
        I know you are quoting the company line but thats your opinion and I dont buy that they cant alter the release times somewhat...as I said its sometimes some odd fraction of an hour like 4:47 ETC.there cant be any real reason for that
        So if it took 26 minutes to power up the grid and they knew their peak power times started at 5:13, that wouldn't be a reason? I wouldn't use words like "can't". They are probably far from perfect, but they have been running that dam for almost 60 years. I would imagine there is a reason for the times they release at.

All that being said...
        Can they alter the schedule.. Probably some.
        Do they? Yes, they try not to release on the weekends.

Comment

Getting frustrated about how the COE operates the dam in relation to trout fishing is pretty much the definition of "tilting at windmills". Don Quixote would be proud...

FM
          The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

Do you ever notice that this discussion gets brought up every spring? Seems like we could make it a sticky. So that it doesn't have to keep getting rehashed. I am glad that I get to fish it occasionally. There are some tail races where the governing authority has closed the river to rec activity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Amen to the last two posts. The premise of OP was ridiculous and we've headed downhill from there.

Mods- the last time hydroelectric generation came up, the thread got closed by trout8myfly in under 24 hours and that thread had fact based, useful information on how hydro power works and where it fits within the overall generation needs of the region. It never got incendiary but I seem to recall that a "potential to be incendiary" was the rationale behind closing That thread... This thread has misinformation, racism, and cute pictures of power plants which mistakenly equate hydro as an alternative to coal and nuclear.

Where ya at guys??

Edit: just realized who posted the pictures... I'm nonplussed- are we only censoring threads that don't line up with your opinion? Please tell me more about plants Farley and McDonough and what point you thought you were making? If this is no longer a banished topic then by all means lets discuss.
              Last edited by mbible; 03-21-14, 05:28 PM.
              sigpic "In the end, the meat bucket was a situation of mind where everything was going to be okay."

Comment

Hydro has never been a banished topic. I closed the other thread when it started to drift towards a flame war. Other mods can reopen it as need be or you can start a new thread on hydro and discuss hydro.

Why the photos? The downstream power plants require water and a lot of it and they require the Chattahoochee to deliver that water. No politics involved, just practical need. If the water doesn't flow then those plants are hindered, not just seafood and boats. It simply added to the comments made by Drifter.

I also deleted a couple of posts above because they were off-topic and violated one of our rules, even if in jest.
                "What's his offense?"
                "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
                ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

This topic does seem to come up every spring and frankly, gets none of us no where, and more importantly doesn't help anyone catch more fish. In a perfect world the Hooch, Nan and Tuck (to name a few) would only generate during hours of darkness, but that would defeat the purpose they were built for originally.

I feel the pain of 24 hour continuous generation, double pumps, and unplanned releases due to hydropower demand or equipment failure when the river is subject to rapid rise, turbulent flows and is dangerous. Enjoy it for what it is and don't hate it for what it isn't and never will be.
                  RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

Originally posted by Trout8myfly View Post
                    Hydro has never been a banished topic. I closed the other thread when it started to drift towards a flame war. Other mods can reopen it as need be or you can start a new thread on hydro and discuss hydro.

Why the photos? The downstream power plants require water and a lot of it and they require the Chattahoochee to deliver that water. No politics involved, just practical need. If the water doesn't flow then those plants are hindered, not just seafood and boats. It simply added to the comments made by Drifter.

I also deleted a couple of posts above because they were off-topic and violated one of our rules, even if in jest.
                    I mis interpreted the point of the photos and agree with your point now that I'm clear.

Don't recall any flame wars on other thread. But see no need to further discuss. Thanks for clarifying.
                    sigpic "In the end, the meat bucket was a situation of mind where everything was going to be okay."

Comment

Why cant a COE expert address the subject?

This post reminds me too much of being back in the office.

We have some defending something COE practices without really having the expertise, and others decrying the practices with no more expertise than the defenders. Lots of debate with no sign of any resolution. Could be your normal workplace IT meeting...

Has anyone on the NGTO Board formally written to the COE (and / or your congressional office), explaining the situation and making a request? Maybe changes can be made. Maybe not. It would be good to actually hear from someone who evaluates these decisions about why the requested changes can / cannot be accommodated.

Comment

The Corps works with NGTO with no generation on Fling days....for the drag-free drift seminar. You might say we have a "hookup". 😃

Sent from my Obamaphone II using Tapatalk v.2.01
                        The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                          The Corps works with NGTO with no generation on Fling days....for the drag-free drift seminar. You might say we have a "hookup". 😃

Sent from my Obamaphone II using Tapatalk v.2.01
                          Also, with the National Hunting & Fishing Day “KIDS”FREE FISHING EVENT" held in the Lower Pool Park.

Comment

Originally posted by RScott View Post
                            This topic does seem to come up every spring and frankly, gets none of us no where, and more importantly doesn't help anyone catch more fish. In a perfect world the Hooch, Nan and Tuck (to name a few) would only generate during hours of darkness, but that would defeat the purpose they were built for originally.

I feel the pain of 24 hour continuous generation, double pumps, and unplanned releases due to hydropower demand or equipment failure when the river is subject to rapid rise, turbulent flows and is dangerous. Enjoy it for what it is and don't hate it for what it isn't and never will be.
                            YES!!!

Completely agree with these words of wisdom. Guys, stop rehashing the same argument; no matter how badly we gripe and whine, it won't change the circumstances of the situation.

Tight Lines,

Joshua

Comment

Keep in mind too you we are fishing for non-native fish in an unnatural man-made cold water river that wouldn't otherwise exist without the dam. Just be glad it exists 20 minutes from a major metropolis!
                              Can you Quack??

Comment

Good point. It was a warm water fishery before the dam was constructed. Also, the construction of Lanier allocated funds for local lake municipalities to modernize their antiquated sewage treatment systems that flowed into the river. I worked with an old timer that had a farm on the banks of the Chattahoochee before the lake was built. He told me that during the summers you didn't want to breath too deeply due to the stench coming off the river.
                                Last edited by natureman; 03-25-14, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X