Confusing day at Island Ford

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusing day at Island Ford

Okay, I’ll be honest…Island Ford has me a little confused. Last month, I went twice and had great sessions where I caught 11 and 22 trout using Girdle Bug and Y2K flies.

Today, however, I went to Island Ford for 4 hours, hit all the same spots as before, same technique, used the same flies – and hardly got a bite. I tried Girdle Bugs, Y2Ks, San Juan worms, but no takers. Eventually, I started streaming a Wooly Bugger and caught three rainbows. But, there wasn’t nearly as much action today compared to my previous two visits 3 and 5 weeks ago.

Has the arrival of fall weather caused the trout to change their diet and eating preferences? What have you done when faced with a similar situation when trout don’t take what was working so well before at the same spot?

I think stocking dramatically decreases after Labor Day.

Comment

I think the big difference was primarily the front that came through and threw everything all cattywampus in regard to the trout. Fishmonger mentioned it in a previous post as his reason for pretty much staying at the house this weekend instead of getting on the water.

By week's end they should be getting acclimated to the weather change and the bite should start to pick back up barring another front moving through the area.
      If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Angel View Post
        I think the big difference was primarily the front that came through and threw everything all cattywampus in regard to the trout. Fishmonger mentioned it in a previous post as his reason for pretty much staying at the house this weekend instead of getting on the water.

By week's end they should be getting acclimated to the weather change and the bite should start to pick back up barring another front moving through the area.
        Thanks for the info, kbrunson and SwampAngel. I figured something was up.

Comment

Yeah you weren't alone. There was a comp there yesterday and there were plenty of blanks to go around. It was really tough. I definitely think the weather played a huge role, though. I fished Saturday before the front came through and caught 10 in 3-4 hours. Those cold fronts, combined with the massive amount of pressure they get on weekends makes em super sluggish.
          sigpic

Team USA Youth/Team Dead Drift

Comment

I fished Sunday when the front moved through and caught 14 in low and slow water. Caught most all my fish on naturals. Island Ford, even though it gets stocked has a lot of hold over fish. They tend to eat more natural than junk. I very rarely throw Y2ks there. When the water is stained, I'll throw squirmies. The flies that worked for me were a size 14 hares ear with a caddis green collar and silver bead, and a size 16 tungsten torpedo with a copper bead. Sunday, in those conditions, I fished deeper pools with a dry/dropper set up.
            2flysigpic
            Pat

http://www.freewebs.com/georgiaflyfishingteam/
            http://https://www.facebook.com/2flyGuideService
            http://www.2flyguideservice.com
            You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie.

Comment

Originally posted by 2fly View Post
              I fished Sunday when the front moved through and caught 14 in low and slow water. Caught most all my fish on naturals. Island Ford, even though it gets stocked has a lot of hold over fish. They tend to eat more natural than junk. I very rarely throw Y2ks there. When the water is stained, I'll throw squirmies. The flies that worked for me were a size 14 hares ear with a caddis green collar and silver bead, and a size 16 tungsten torpedo with a copper bead. Sunday, in those conditions, I fished deeper pools with a dry/dropper set up.
              Thanks for the tips, Pat! If there's anyone who knows Island Ford, it's you and RScott.

I need to get some more of those "Pat's Pink Weenies." They worked well before I lost my stash on some sunken logs.

Comment

Fished it last week and did well with rubber legs, small hopper and midge dropper, small olive caddis, and other small naturals. Think you got the weather, like others stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A basic fact: Fishing can be very different on any 2 days, even when everything seems the same to you or me. Accept this, then you will learn to adapt, avoid getting stuck in a rut, and increase your percentage of good days.

FM
                  The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

Working...
                  X