Skunked again/BWO hatch/Cochran Shoals 12/15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skunked again/BWO hatch/Cochran Shoals 12/15

Made it out today for a few hours before sunset today at Cochran Shoals. Unfortunately I had it all to myself so I didn't even have anyone to spy on. There is a ton of water there and I fished a ton of fast and slow runs and pools and pockets but couldn't entice a strike today. Mostly fished nymphs under an indicator but tried a ill dry dropper late when I saw a huge hatch occur! Bugs everyone rising the surface as well as many spinners in the air. I'm no expert but I believe it was mainly BWO although there were also a ton of very small white "gnats" and a few large orange bugs I couldn't get a close look at. While all of this was going on I saw absolutely no fish rising or hitting on top so I mostly fished emergers but still no luck. While I was disappointed not to catch any fish it was cool to be out there and confirm and identify a hatch occurring even if it don't help me catch anything.

BWO?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418696940.304597.jpg
    BWO?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418696967.294477.jpg
    BWO?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418696987.449647.jpg
    GnatsImageUploadedByTapatalk1418697004.568558.jpg
    If fishing is religion, Fly Fishing is high church.

-Tom Brokaw-

Sometimes hatches are a distraction. Match the Hatch and if that doesn't work change it up.

Comment

There was a nice BWO hatch upstream of there. I floated it for a bit an didn't get a bite. Also didn't see any risers.
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCos...FJBnHdCda3zhuQ

Comment

stocking this year?

Interesting...has Cochran Shoals been stocked this DH season? Anyone know?

Comment

Yes it was stocked at the beginning of the DH season

Comment

Originally posted by Buckheadflyfisher View Post
            Yes it was stocked at the beginning of the DH season
            It was stocked. But IMO, the DNR can't be stocking it at nearly the same density that they used to in the mid 2000s. Cochran used to be like Paces, there were fish EVERYWHERE. Over the last 3-5 years, the fishing at Cochran during DH season has steadily declined. Ergo, the stocking density has to have dropped off, most likely due to a decrease in state funding. Which sucks, because I really like the water around the Cochran area much more than down at Paces. Nicer runs, pools, and riffles up around Cochran.

Tight Lines,

Joshua

Comment

Well at least I'm not the only one struggling there. It was my first time but the water looked great. It was low, pretty clear plus the hatch that occurred. I fished many pockets, ripples, pools, fast water and slow water. Got my share of hangups on all the fallen trees but really felt pretty stealthy and worked upstream across the grid. Applied all I knew just couldn't interest them.
              If fishing is religion, Fly Fishing is high church.

-Tom Brokaw-

Comment

Originally posted by keeper27 View Post
                It was stocked. But IMO, the DNR can't be stocking it at nearly the same density that they used to in the mid 2000s. Cochran used to be like Paces, there were fish EVERYWHERE. Over the last 3-5 years, the fishing at Cochran during DH season has steadily declined. Ergo, the stocking density has to have dropped off, most likely due to a decrease in state funding. Which sucks, because I really like the water around the Cochran area much more than down at Paces. Nicer runs, pools, and riffles up around Cochran.

Tight Lines,

Joshua
                I have had the same thoughts for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Salmo View Post
                  Interesting...has Cochran Shoals been stocked this DH season? Anyone know?
                  I caught some OK numbers in the first few weeks after the initial early November stocking, but fish have spread out quite a bit and don't seem to be very eager to bite. To my knowledge I haven't heard of any stockings at CS since then.

Comment

For DH.. and when the BWO's first start showing.. .go with emergers and not duns. And if you wanna go old school, wet flies on a swing...

Comment

I agree with yall about the stocking. I caught about 15 the first time I went out there, which was about a week after stocking, but I haven't gotten a whiff since then. There is a ton of water to cover there and it is really tough to find fish once they've spread out.

Comment

Working...
                      X