Things are looking up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things are looking up

Took a decently long hike upstream of settles bridge this morning due to all of the people in the lot minutes before sunrise.... I've never seen it that busy that early. I made the right choice though sight casting and catching 8 rainbows, 6 of them on a dry fly. I fished a #8 rubber leg stimulator tied up extra bushy for buoyancy, with various dropper nymphs mostly stone patterns. I honestly did not expect takes on the dry, but not complaining. Stopped to fish my lucky pocket on the bridge shoals for about 10 casts, with nothing on the way back. It was a zoo, I'm gonna stick to fishing weekdays. No pics this time, the fish were mostly small, largest maybe 12-13". Great day on the water!

That's a nice area but really not much for wading opportunities upstream. I'm lucky to be one of those week day fishers that gets to avoid most of the crowds. Nice report and thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by groundpounder View Post
      That's a nice area but really not much for wading opportunities upstream. I'm lucky to be one of those week day fishers that gets to avoid most of the crowds. Nice report and thanks for sharing.
      Really? I've only been fishing the hooch for about 6 months now. When I discovered settles I thought I found the holy grounds haha. Any areas you'd recommend? I'm not opposed to driving farther or learning new areas. Jb is the only other place I've waded, and I'm kind of over that place. Too busy.

Comment

JB will improve once cooler weather settles in and the huge groups of folks wading into the water to cool off disperse. Island Ford near Roswell offers good wading opportunities but can also get a wee bit crowded on weekends. Up river closer to the dam are Bowman's Island and the lower pool just below Buford Dam.

Once the DH begins in November there will be places further down river to wade for trout such as White Water Creek, Cochran Shoals, and Paces Mill.
        If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Angel View Post
          JB will improve once cooler weather settles in and the huge groups of folks wading into the water to cool off disperse. Island Ford near Roswell offers good wading opportunities but can also get a wee bit crowded on weekends. Up river closer to the dam are Bowman's Island and the lower pool just below Buford Dam.

Once the DH begins in November there will be places further down river to wade for trout such as White Water Creek, Cochran Shoals, and Paces Mill.
          Cool thanks! I'm gonna try around the dam next go round I think. I'll be the guy in the 80's era canary yellow pfd. What's the actual wearing requirements? does strapped to my backpack or around the waist count? Prob should invest in a more modern design...

Comment

Above HWY 20, definitely wear that PFD properly. It may seem to be a pain in the patoot but wearing it is preferable to getting a hefty citation - or trying to keep your head above really cold water should you get caught in an unannounced release!

I rarely wade, being that I'm getting old and I've always been lazy. I like sitting my hiney-bottom in a small boat further down river. I have always had a tendency to set my PFD off to the side rather than wear it when on the water (it's legal to do it like that once you're further don river), but it occurred to me one day that if I went overboard and was unconscious my PFD wouldn't do me any good. So, I splurged a bit and got one of those inflatable types from BassPro. It does two things for me. 1) It doesn't hinder my movement, and 2) it's only legal as long as I'm wearing it since it doesn't float on its own without being inflated.

My wife has a vest-type design PFD that incorporates a fly vest. I'd highly recommend that set up since it fulfills two roles on the river. (It's not overly bulky either.) Her's is pretty similar to this:

If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Angel View Post
              Above HWY 20, definitely wear that PFD properly. It may seem to be a pain in the patoot but wearing it is preferable to getting a hefty citation - or trying to keep your head above really cold water should you get caught in an unannounced release!

I rarely wade, being that I'm getting old and I've always been lazy. I like sitting my hiney-bottom in a small boat further down river. I have always had a tendency to set my PFD off to the side rather than wear it when on the water (it's legal to do it like that once you're further don river), but it occurred to me one day that if I went overboard and was unconscious my PFD wouldn't do me any good. So, I splurged a bit and got one of those inflatable types from BassPro. It does two things for me. 1) It doesn't hinder my movement, and 2) it's only legal as long as I'm wearing it since it doesn't float on its own without being inflated.

My wife has a vest-type design PFD that incorporates a fly vest. I'd highly recommend that set up since it fulfills two roles on the river. (It's not overly bulky either.) Her's is pretty similar to this:

That's a great idea thank you. The inflatables definitely offer more freedom in movement. In Florida you have to at least have a pfd on your vessel, if they are the inflatables you have to wear them to be compliant. I usually paddle my kayak being able to access parts that wading can't. I think I read somewhere you have a gheenoe? How does that fare in the river as opposed to an aluminum vessel? I'm a huge fan of gheenoe, probably hunted and fished out of one more than any other vessel growing up.
              Last edited by Jdl80; 07-10-16, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jdl80 View Post
                I'm a huge fan of gheenoe, probably hunted and fished out of one more than any other vessel growing up.
                Love my Gheenoe! It's one of the first seven LT15's built so it's rated for a 25HP motor. There are times, however, that I'd like an aluminum body bateau to get me up past the barrier at Shakerag without fear of crunching the body, but over all, I can't imagine a better boat.

Maybe we need to hook up when I get back from Virginia and make a run on the river between Shakerag and Medlock. There's a lot a fishy water to be covered in that eleven mile stretch. We'll just have to find a weekend that my wife isn't in town. She gets a wee bit irate if she gets any inkling of an idea that I might cast a fly line without her.

Comment

Working...
                X