No announcement yet.

Settle's Bridge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good job! Although I'm a guide we all used to be newb's at some point. I was too hard headed to hire a guide or ask for help when I started out. I can say that's a big mistake. I would have advanced my knowledge much faster and wasted less precious river time back then if I would have taken help from a guide or even a friend.

Good work and keep it up. Feel free to hit me up anytime you have a quick question!
    Time's a Place by a Peaceful Stream
    Www.thefieldandfly.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zeeee View Post
      Tippet does go bad over time from what I hear. I personally prefer fluorocarbon and brand wise either trout hunter when I have a few extra bucks or Rio. Depends on who has them. Also just from my experience, Orvis tippet hasn't cut it for me. I will say this, wouldn't you rather spend a few extra bucks and have the ability to net a keeper instead of breaking off? I know I would
      Fellas, great advice, but I am literally so new to this sport that my tippet is only a few weeks old. I got RIO I think - amazon had a deal. I have 3, 4, 5x - it was the 5 x that broke off. Before that I was just using 4#test mono.

Comment

Originally posted by The Field and Fly View Post
        Good job! Although I'm a guide we all used to be newb's at some point. I was too hard headed to hire a guide or ask for help when I started out. I can say that's a big mistake. I would have advanced my knowledge much faster and wasted less precious river time back then if I would have taken help from a guide or even a friend.

Good work and keep it up. Feel free to hit me up anytime you have a quick question!
        Thank man!
        MY first trip was actually a guided trip on the Tuck in NC. My GF's bday gift to me. I have thought about hiring a guide on the hooch, but most are float trips and since I am never, probably, going to float, I need a guide for wading. I am devouring information as fast as I can find it. I learned today about strikes and how subtle they can be, and how to at least try to set the hook.
        And be careful, being a professor I have a very inquisitive nature and will certainly ask questions....

Learning curve...happening. lol

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
          Fellas, great advice, but I am literally so new to this sport that my tippet is only a few weeks old. I got RIO I think - amazon had a deal. I have 3, 4, 5x - it was the 5 x that broke off. Before that I was just using 4#test mono.
          didnt you say the the tippet was cut by rocks and the2nd failed at a knot ? Neither is the tippets fault, I have bought old tippet off the shelf and it failed as I would pull the knots tight, I've also let my tippet get old hanging on my vest, but a knot failing is many more times user error than tippet failure. Also I've been very critical of Orvis in the past and on many fronts I still am but Orvis Super Strong is my favorite mono tippet I've never had a problem that wasnt directly related to old tippet material or improperly tied or improperly tightened knots or failing to check the tippet enough for abrasions or windknots, yet sometimes the trout just busts off and wins the fight
          Last edited by zug buggin; 12-20-16, 08:01 PM.
          "Fly Fishing Is Not A Team Sport"----Tom McGuane

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
          Tom McGuane

Comment

Thank man!
            MY first trip was actually a guided trip on the Tuck in NC. My GF's bday gift to me. I have thought about hiring a guide on the hooch, but most are float trips and since I am never, probably, going to float, I need a guide for wading. I am devouring information as fast as I can find it. I learned today about strikes and how subtle they can be, and how to at least try to set the hook.
            And be careful, being a professor I have a very inquisitive nature and will certainly ask questions....

Learning curve...happening. lol
            Alpharetta Outfitters offers guided wade trips on the hooch FYI.
            http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

@ZUG: yes, you are correct and it was probably do to some tangle knots. thanks again.

@BIG T: thanks. I just discovered that place and love it. I'd love to learn more about the places to fish at the dam, abbotts and jones - these are all places that are reasonably close to me.

Comment

@ZUG: @BIG T: thanks. I just discovered that place and love it. I'd love to learn more about the places to fish at the dam, abbotts and jones - these are all places that are reasonably close to me.
                There's a lot of info available just by scrolling back through posts or doing a search. If you have a question about an older post, it's best to pm rather than revive an old thread.

As far as the dam area goes, I'm saving my pennies to hire Big T for a tour once the water starts clearing.
                I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took a Clouser in the knee.

Comment

Use the Advanced Search option, enter the keyword, and the make sure to select Search Titles Only (rather than posts). For example, here are the search results for the keyword "Abbots":

http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...archid=3531011
                  Last edited by Trout8myfly; 12-21-16, 12:24 PM.
                  "What's his offense?"
                  "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
                  ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Fish the deep section under the bridge with a bunch of weight....Hold on.....

Comment

i live right by the 20 bridge so if you ever want a fishing partner i am down to meet at the dam, 20, or settles

Comment

The water around settles is loaded with fish. The shoals just above the bridge get fished pretty hard, but produce decent fish year round. In my experience nymphing has been most productive, but streamers and dries work well too. Strip a wooly bugger with a stonefly nymph as a dropper to prospect areas that look fishy.

Comment

Man, y'all are the best!
                          Thanks. Happy christmas to all!!!!

Comment

If you haven't fished below Settles Bridge I would give it a try. There are some great runs about a couple hundred yards down there as well. Not bad wading and can be accessed from either side of the river if you dont enter from the park side, as I dont. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X