Settle's Bridge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settle's Bridge

New to flyfishing, but totally hooked, sorry...that's a horrible pun. As I told my buddy in NC, "It's like crack!" His reply, "Better than crack!" <truth>

Anyhow, I'd tried at Settle's Bridge about 3-4 times and was convinced there was no fish in there and chalked it up to casting practice. But yesterday, after a little prodding by my girlfriend (who turned me on to the sport of flyfishing thru a gifted guided trip to the Tuck; I think she wanted me out of the house to wrap some xmas gifts) I decided I'd go practice casting. I am not all that familiar with wading so I don't get out too far and this time I started by fishing the water in small sections (as recommended in a recent tips from DNR). Slowly moving across the river closer to the rocks that you can stand on (above the water) and then slowly moving out into the shallows.

I saw a bump in the indicator (thinkagamabobber) and felt a tug, but chalked it up to hitting bottom, because as I had believed, there weren't any fish in that section of the river. Then the indicator went down again and I set the hook on my first fish from that area! It was a small brown (image attached). That was the first of 3 yesterday in just about 60-90 minutes. All browns; this was the smallest. I was using a scud grub (grey) and a pheasant tail nymph.

This really pleases me, because I had been driving to Smith's earlier in the week and while that's not bad, having something 10-15 minutes from the house makes a quick 60-90 minute outing super easy and convenient. Smith's was productive. Monday in the rain I brought about 8 to hand, hooked a little over a dozen; the two other times I went I didn't do as well (6 to hand one day and 3 the next, still not bad days and unicoi park was a great discovery for me with a 6 year old crazy boy that loves the outdoors. He and I will be spending a little time there in the Spring, Summer).

Anyhow, being a newb, any advice, tips, etc would be greatly greatly appreciated!

SP
    Last edited by splatek16; 01-12-17, 05:10 PM.

Excellent! Nice work. Settles has some fish there for sure, don't you worry. The brown in my avatar came from Settles.

I would say settles is a step up in wading difficulty. Nothing crazy but just some holes that might get you waist high/navel high.

I havent been up there in a bit but the water may be a little cloudy now being so close to the dam and the lake being in turnover mode. Just take small baby steps and you should be fine. There are "routes" to navigate the whole section just be patient in finding your way. Once you learn it and become more confident in your wading you'll get in to plenty more fish there.
    @glennmau

Comment

Looks fun! I'm hoping to get out in the water once I open my christmas gift (my first ever setup) from my boys.

Keep the pics and stories coming!

Comment

My tip(s) would be to be careful around settles if you aren't familiar with the area especially with the turnover we get from above the Dam. Several deep spots in the area and we most certainly don't need another news story about someone missing especially this time of the year with colder temps. A wading staff would be a good idea as well. Forgive me if you are very familiar with the area or just staying on the rocks. If you have a float tube or kayak, that may be a little easier than wading right now. Make sure to check the release times because you don't want to be caught in the middle of the river when the water is rising. Other than that, get a good drift, don't be afraid to change it up, and hold your mouth right

Comment

Thanks.

@Zeee yeah, I am not going out too far. Just about knee deep. I am not trying to become a statistic. I actually broke my finger being washed away at settles 8 years ago when I first moved to GA. I was just hiking. It started to rain and apparently water was released (at the time I knew nothing about the water release, literally had been here 4 weeks) and voila, before I knew it the water was on the rock, then up to my ankles, by the time I turned and started to head back in it was up to mid shin / knee on the rocks I had just walked out on. I slipped, the current got me and I am pretty sure if I hadn't snug my finger on a branch or rock (breaking it in 3 places) that I might have met my demise that day.

I think my boy and I are going to try to help with the DH bucket brigade and hopefully that will help me learn a bit more about that area of the river, as well. Until then, I am checking water release and not going too deep at settles.

Comment

No pics today.
            I had about 30-35 minutes to sneak into Settle's Bridge before heading home.

Hooked into a monster Brown - when it jumped it not only threw the hook, but startled me, yeah it was that big.
            Brought one rainbow to hand.

Comment

If you are new to fly fishing check out the Orvis guide to fly fishing podcast. Amazing resource
              Roswellangler

Comment

Thanks. Will do.
                I've been watching some casting and nymphing and what not.

Comment

Nothing today (12/19/16)

spent a few hours at Settle's today. The water was low; cloudy, seemed perfect. I hooked in to two fish, but both broke the tippet. After that: nada.
                  Days like this are perfect for forcing me to practice casting, like the roll cast, haul and double haul.

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
                    spent a few hours at Settle's today. The water was low; cloudy, seemed perfect. I hooked in to two fish, but both broke the tippet. After that: nada.
                    Days like this are perfect for forcing me to practice casting, like the roll cast, haul and double haul.
                    What setup did you try today?

Comment

Originally posted by PFLY24 View Post
                      What setup did you try today?
                      Today I started differently: floated a bugger with a nymph under an indicator (air max - like a thingamabobber but with a screw to keep it in place). Then I tried just about everything else in my box, and had nothing, well two hits that broke the line - one swam into some rocks and another just broke off at the knot.

I'll be back to try again, now that I know there are fish there. I saw a fish jump pretty far out, but when casted too, wasn't hitting anything.

Comment

I love Settles, one of my favorite spots on the Hooch, Its been a few years ago but I pulled a 20" Brown from under the huge boulders on the west side of the river just barely under the bridge. The bank was lined with the corn and worm fishermen it caused quite a commotion when I held it up for a pic then released it back into the river. They all thought I had lost my mind.
                        Pay attention to the release times, I went downstream from the bridge and lost track of time, the banks were straight up and the water stated coming up scared the heck out of me as it was difficult climbing up those banks
                        "Fly Fishing Is Not A Team Sport"----Tom McGuane

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
                        Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
                          Today I started differently: floated a bugger with a nymph under an indicator (air max - like a thingamabobber but with a screw to keep it in place). Then I tried just about everything else in my box, and had nothing, well two hits that broke the line - one swam into some rocks and another just broke off at the knot.

I'll be back to try again, now that I know there are fish there. I saw a fish jump pretty far out, but when casted too, wasn't hitting anything.
                          Next time you go out, you might want to try a different spool of tippet. I bought some 5x from Orvis online a few weeks ago and had a very frustrating hour or two of breakoffs before I realized the tippet was defective.

Comment

@Zug it's so close to my house that I go as much as I can, if for nothing else just to practice my casting, drifting, etc. But wrangling a few fish outta there is always a good time. 20" Brown sounds like a blast. I've heard there are big ones in there. They didn't seem to be hitting anything for me, or the other two fisherman that were there. And yeah, the water scares me too, but I always check after having a similar thing happen to me. Better luck next time I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by djangofly View Post
                              Next time you go out, you might want to try a different spool of tippet. I bought some 5x from Orvis online a few weeks ago and had a very frustrating hour or two of breakoffs before I realized the tippet was defective.
                              Tippet does go bad over time from what I hear. I personally prefer fluorocarbon and brand wise either trout hunter when I have a few extra bucks or Rio. Depends on who has them. Also just from my experience, Orvis tippet hasn't cut it for me. I will say this, wouldn't you rather spend a few extra bucks and have the ability to net a keeper instead of breaking off? I know I would

Comment

Working...
                              X