Euro nymph: First try (bowman's isle)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euro nymph: First try (bowman's isle)

I've been hearing about this term - euro nymphing - and I figured I would give it a try. Watched a few youtube vids, read 1-2 blog posts for some self-learning. Seems weird, after learning how to cast reasonably well, now to go back to a funky mono cast. I tied up a few "french" nymphs and off we went to B isle for an hour or two, mainly just to check it out, because Big T said he was having so much luck there. I'd never been so I thought I would check it out... well worth it. There are miles of hiking trails to get to various places to get in the water. I only fell once and it didn't fill my waders like yesterday

Not far from the first bank to put in I hooked a few pretty little browns. These are my first Yellow/buttery browns. Only one pic, because I still haven't bought a water proof case, blah blah. All fish caught on flies I tied, which really makes me happy

Also, a question: given the slick conditions at the dam, bowman's, settle's and elsewhere do people on here use/recommend felt bottomed wading boots? I am using some old hiking boots and while I played ice hockey my entire life, skating thru a river seems dangerous...
    Last edited by splatek16; 01-12-17, 05:10 PM.

Nice fish and yes felt bottom soles at a minimum and felt with studs even better. I have found that the new Patagonia rock tractors with rubber bottoms and aluminum traction bars work very well but are very expensive.
    2flysigpic
    Pat

http://www.freewebs.com/georgiaflyfishingteam/
    http://https://www.facebook.com/2flyGuideService
    http://www.2flyguideservice.com
    You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie.

Comment

Looks like you killed it for your first outing Euro Nymphing! That's a beauty of a brown

Comment

Thanks! And thanks for the boot rec. I am sorta budget minded... not sure how that's possible fly fishing, but I am trying....

off to bass pro... boots and more tying materials.
        Winter break has been filled with fishing, tying, and meeting cool peeps.

Comment

Nice job! Felt is your friend but even better with metal studs. I have screwed in 3/8 inch sheet metal screws that are cheap but won't last a long time.
          http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

Nice brown splatek and congrats on a successful first trip nymphing. Like everyone else said felt with studs is best, I have the korkers studded felt and I haven't taken a fall in a while(knock on wood).

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              Nice job! Felt is your friend but even better with metal studs. I have screwed in 3/8 inch sheet metal screws that are cheap but won't last a long time.
              Appreciate it. I figure since my feet are what constitute my base spending a little on boots should be OK. It'll give me something to use my gift cards on...

Comment

If you are looking to conserve funds, try getting gently used stuff on eBay. I got a pair of simm's g3 waders someone had worn for 1 season for $187 and a pair of barely used Simm's felt soled wading boots for $50.

Comment

I saw that someone recommended Stream Trekkers for slick rocks in that area and decided to try it out. It works really well. You can just slip it on over your current pair of wading boots and you'll notice the huge difference. I got it on amazon for $30.
                  Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

Way to go! The drive to learn and adventuresome spirit that you and some other new fly fishers have displayed is inspirational, even for a worn out old fart like myself.

Yes, do figure out some way to get some more traction, the rocks at the dam are infamous for their slickness.
                    I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took a Clouser in the knee.

Comment

Joe,

Thanks!
                      We should catch up sometime.
                      I consider myself an old guy too...

Originally posted by Joe_Atlanta View Post
                      Way to go! The drive to learn and adventuresome spirit that you and some other new fly fishers have displayed is inspirational, even for a worn out old fart like myself.

Yes, do figure out some way to get some more traction, the rocks at the dam are infamous for their slickness.

Comment

Yes stream trekkers are the way to go if you already own a pair of boots that aren't aluminum bars. I got them over 6 months ago and have been recommending them ever since, i know 3 people that have taken recommendation and haven't looked back they're amazing, almost as good as having aluminum bars but actually more versatile and for $30-$40 can't be beat for someone that already owns rubber or felt soles, they're less expensive than any sole you would get for korkers without the hassle of the soles separating from boot or the post snapping of like on the korkers. 5 stars for Stream Trekkers
                        "Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly."
                        ~John Gierach~

Trophies are relative

Comment

Working...
                        X