Brown Kill?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Kill?

Saw over a dozen dead baby brown at JB today. First time I've seen anything like it. It's been happening the past few days as you can smell the waft in the wind. Wonder what causing this. Low O2? Parrot grass? Lack of releases? Probably some combination.

Caught fish in really fast water, but that's about it. I was really excited when these baby browns showed up a few months ago, hoping they would pull through. Fished for a couples hours then got bummed out after seeing all the dead fish.

Worried,
    G
    We are the music-makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams,
    Wandering by lone sea-breakers
    And sitting by desolate streams;
    World losers and world forsakers,
    On whom the pale moon gleams.

Disappointing to say the least... I know that the Hooch had some problems with sewage spilling into it after heavy rains from feeder creeks but I don't think that alone is a crucial factor in this. As you said before the silting up of the JB along with the exponential growth of aquatic "snot" might play a bigger role with the lower than average releases thus far. Best case scenario I can think of is that the browns had an amazing reproductive year recently and there just isn't enough resources to sustain all of them as a tailwater right now.

Comment

Low oxygen only exists at the very top of the tailwater right now I am pretty sure. Once it starts tumbling over rocks the O2 bumps back up. That is a shame though.
      http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

[

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

It could have been a localized dumping of a contaminant (hopefully).

Shame.
        I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Dang shame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
            Saw over a dozen dead baby brown at JB today. First time I've seen anything like it. It's been happening the past few days as you can smell the waft in the wind. Wonder what causing this. Low O2? Parrot grass? Lack of releases? Probably some combination.

Caught fish in really fast water, but that's about it. I was really excited when these baby browns showed up a few months ago, hoping they would pull through. Fished for a couples hours then got bummed out after seeing all the dead fish.

Worried,
            G
            Notify the riverkeeper. Maybe they will jet up there and scout around. Maybe put a stop to the issue and figure out the cause.

Comment

That sucks. It's been exciting to catch those little wild fish. Hope this doesn't continue.
              Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

Was thinking of calling the CRK this morning. Now that I think about, probably some sort of contamination. Happens often here just never witnessed one. This past summer some dook water got in the river from a neighboring subdivision, I only found about it because one of my old customer lives there. It wasn't in any news.

The dead ones I found where limited to shallow water. I still caught fish in the deeper faster water including the small browns. It was just weird because I also caught a few smaller bows and regular sized fish but the only dead fish I found where small baby browns.

Heres some pics I was too distraught to post yesterday.

Some of the ones I picked up where still breathing, I tried to revive a few but they didn't want to swim. Wound up tossing a handful over to Henry so at least the smell doesn't fester.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFrNObF-i_k[/ame]

Whatever it is, the ongoing construction at the park, or whatever. Probably some prolonged releases wouldn't hurt, just to wash it out some.
                We are the music-makers,

Comment

Strange that it was only the small browns. I think Browniez is on to something.

On the 141 gauge, have you ever noticed on many days there is a small rise in the water level mid-day, which is not tied to the dam or other gauges? I have found this to be strange. Here is an example https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ga/nwis/u...ate=2017-10-06

Not saying this is the cause as it has been happening for a while. However, where is the extra water coming from? Is the new plant at McGinnis Ferry operational?

I'll be out this afternoon, and I will post anything strange.

Comment

Greg, were you wet wading? If you happened to urinate upstream of those browns while you're wet wading, those browns may have gotten high off all the chemicals in your urine. They'll need to be held in some fast current for at least 10-15 minutes before they sober up. haha
                    Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

Originally posted by ChaChung View Post
                      Greg, were you wet wading? If you happened to urinate upstream of those browns while you're wet wading, those browns may have gotten high off all the chemicals in your urine. They'll need to be held in some fast current for at least 10-15 minutes before they sober up. haha
                      Haha, I'm as sober as a judge.

Originally posted by Uncle Fun View Post
                      Strange that it was only the small browns. I think Browniez is on to something.

On the 141 gauge, have you ever noticed on many days there is a small rise in the water level mid-day, which is not tied to the dam or other gauges? I have found this to be strange. Here is an example https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ga/nwis/u...ate=2017-10-06

Not saying this is the cause as it has been happening for a while. However, where is the extra water coming from? Is the new plant at McGinnis Ferry operational?

I'll be out this afternoon, and I will post anything strange.
                      That's an interesting observation. I called the river keepers they're going to do some tests. Majority of the dead fish where in shallow water: along the banks on Gwinnett side by some of the steps even, and above the island in that ankle deep water. I spoke with Jessica Darling she asked if I would be out fishing today and to call her if I see more of the same. Unfortunatly I'm tied up so can't go again. Please give her a call if you see something: 404-352-9828.

Curious if this is also going on in different sections.
                      We are the music-makers,

Comment

I was made aware of this post on NGTO and we investigated Jones Bridge this morning but did not find any dead Brown Trout. We found good water quality at the site of the reported kill with typical low temperatures and high dissolved oxygen. I spoke with Chris Scalley and he fished Jones Bridge this morning and caught several small browns in the area.

This week we conducted our annual Chattahoochee River sample below Buford Dam and the Brown Trout populations looked great. We shocked up over 90 browns below the island at Jones Bridge and found numerous juvenile Brown Trout <6 which is promising of a strong year class. Our other sites at Buford Dam, Settles Bridge, and below Abbotts Bridge looked great as well.

Although there may, indeed have been some brown trout mortality observed by anglers at Jones Bridge this week, the numbers of dead fish were likely insignificant to the river population and sport fishery. It is possible that a few young-of-year browns could have become stranded in side channels at low flows, and those pockets of water warmed to lethal levels in the absence of dam generations.

Angler reports of fish kills are very important to DNR. Remember that, if there is ever a fish kill on the Chattahoochee River or other north Georgia public waters, please let me know at 770-535-5498 during office hours (Gainesville region office) or at 1-800-241-4113 (24-hour hotline for reports of poachers and polluters).

Thanks for your eyes on our state fisheries resources!

Sincerely,

Pat Snellings
                        Fisheries Biologist
                        Pat Snellings
                        GA WRD Fisheries Biologist
                        Lanier Tailwater and lakes Lanier, Chatuge, and Nottely

Comment

Originally posted by psnellings View Post
                          I was made aware of this post on NGTO and we investigated Jones Bridge this morning but did not find any dead Brown Trout. We found good water quality at the site of the reported kill with typical low temperatures and high dissolved oxygen. I spoke with Chris Scalley and he fished Jones Bridge this morning and caught several small browns in the area.

This week we conducted our annual Chattahoochee River sample below Buford Dam and the Brown Trout populations looked great. We shocked up over 90 browns below the island at Jones Bridge and found numerous juvenile Brown Trout <6 which is promising of a strong year class. Our other sites at Buford Dam, Settles Bridge, and below Abbotts Bridge looked great as well.

Although there may, indeed have been some brown trout mortality observed by anglers at Jones Bridge this week, the numbers of dead fish were likely insignificant to the river population and sport fishery. It is possible that a few young-of-year browns could have become stranded in side channels at low flows, and those pockets of water warmed to lethal levels in the absence of dam generations.

Angler reports of fish kills are very important to DNR. Remember that, if there is ever a fish kill on the Chattahoochee River or other north Georgia public waters, please let me know at 770-535-5498 during office hours (Gainesville region office) or at 1-800-241-4113 (24-hour hotline for reports of poachers and polluters).

Thanks for your eyes on our state fisheries resources!

Sincerely,

Pat Snellings
                          Fisheries Biologist
                          Love this level of responsiveness and information, thanks!

Comment

Missed this reply - Thanks for your response Pat, we have a lot of eyes on the Hooch every day, and I want to thank Gout for bringing this up, we have to all pay attention.
                            RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

Pat, great of you to respond.
                              Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X