No announcement yet.

Why don't they release water at night?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't they release water at night?

For the past few weeks the release has been prime fishing hours. They released today a 2pm. yesterday it was right when I was 4-6 or something. Why does the army core of engineers not want us to fish after work?

Buford Powerhouse is a "peak demand power plant"--meaning it tends to operate during peak electricity usage hours. Sometimes it may operate outside these periods to meet other needs such as water supply, quality and flood control or when other power plants are down for maintenance.

Comment

Hot in the day time meaning lots of AC's running full blast! That dam is all about making power, not creating cold water for trout or ideal fishing conditions for trout fisherman.
      Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
      Simple Goat Herder
      Former NGTO President
      Hall of Fame Member

Comment

I remember hearing somewhere that it doesn't even generate that much power, like barely enough to rub their own equipment.
        It could be another dam I'm thinking of.

I don't mind the late afternoon out early morning releases, because at least those who can get out have a good full day. But middle of the day on Saturday when that almost never happened during the summer, when A/C should've been on high... That's just a d**k move.
        I'm sure there is a reason but still...

None the less I caught a bunch of fish today.
        Mostly bows, one really decent sized bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Also, I wonder what the effects of various release schedule are on stress in the trout.
          Seems to me that all the literature on learned helplessness suggests that unpredictable environmental stressors really can wreak havoc on animals (and people)

Comment

Buford Dam can produce a significant amount of power.

Buford Dam and Powerhouse
            The construction of Buford Dam was authorized by a 1946 Congressional Act. Construction began in 1951 and was completed in 1956. Buford Dam was built to retain the Chattahoochee River about 25 miles northeast of downtown Atlanta, Ga.

The result of the project, Lake Sidney Lanier is also fed by the Chestatee River and welcomes over 7.5 million people annually. Lake Sidney Lanier is considered one of America’s favorite lakes and is the most-visited U.S. Army Corps of Engineers project.

The Buford Dam and Powerhouse are located on the Chattahoochee River at Lake Sidney Lanier in north central Georgia. The power plant came online in 1958. The current plant capacity is 126 MW.
            The demand is created by the wider regional power grid, not local consumption. Yesterday the total generated power was 253 MW in a 24-hour period and that's low compared to some days. (The capacity mentioned above is MW per hour...)

The average home in Georgia consumes 15 MW per year.

So my quick math says a year's output from Buford Dam could power about 6,000 to 10,000 homes annually.

250 MW x 365 days = 91.25 GW / 15MW per house - 6,083 houses. The plant's actual capacity is much more - but then Lake Lanier would become Lanier Pond.

More data to play with: https://www.eia.gov/electricity/data...er/#/plant/759
            https://www.eia.gov/consumption/resi...efs/pdf/GA.pdf
            https://www.eia.gov/state/analysis.php?sid=GA
            "What's his offense?"
            "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
            ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Originally posted by Trout8myfly View Post
              Buford Dam can produce a significant amount of power.

The demand is created by the wider regional power grid, not local consumption. Yesterday the total generated power was 253 MW in a 24-hour period and that's low compared to some days. (The capacity mentioned above is MW per hour...)

The average home in Georgia consumes 15 MW per year.

So my quick math says a year's output from Buford Dam could power about 6,000 to 10,000 homes annually.

250 MW x 365 days = 91.25 GW / 15MW per house - 6,083 houses. The plant's actual capacity is much more - but then Lake Lanier would become Lanier Pond.

More data to play with: https://www.eia.gov/electricity/data...er/#/plant/759
              https://www.eia.gov/consumption/resi...efs/pdf/GA.pdf
              https://www.eia.gov/state/analysis.php?sid=GA

That's cool info. Thanks- now I'm down a rabbit hole that requires math on a Saturday night. Some days they don't release at all during the summer. So they can can't they store enough power to power the grid during peak season. Now- why can't they do this at night?

Comment

The grid does not store power. Producers ramp electric production up or down to meet demand. Usually only small scale solar and wind electric producers have storage capability

Actually the Buford Powerhouse is always producing power (except in a few rare instances). The small generator runs all the time to produce minimum flow in the river and to power adjacent parks, Corps lake office, and maintenance areas. Any left over goes into the grid. The cool thing about hydro power production on the Chattahoochee River is as the water travels downstream it enables electric production at other hydro plants.

Keeping the electric grid operational is a highly coordinated task involving private, public and government power producers as well as transmission companies. Here is a link describing the producers in GA. https://www.energystar.gov/ia/partne...eorgia_508.pdf
                Last edited by natureman; 10-14-17, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ch035 View Post
                  That's cool info. Thanks- now I'm down a rabbit hole that requires math on a Saturday night. Some days they don't release at all during the summer. So they can can't they store enough power to power the grid during peak season. Now- why can't they do this at night?
                  It's the guys who run the black helicopters. They conspire with the Illuminati who control the grid and demand electricity to power their underwater mansions.

Seriously, it's the grid. When it calls, the dam answers. Generation schedules may also link to staff availability so someone is on hand to monitor operations. But mostly it's when the wider grid needs the power. Or if the dam needs to shove water downstream.

Trout management - or to put it another way, non-native fish management - is not even on the agenda. Having a tailwater is just a bonus of the impoundment.
                  "What's his offense?"
                  "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
                  ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

All makes sense.
                    Thanks y'all

Comment

Trout management not being on the agenda can be changed I believe if pushed hard enough. Sure they are non native species and the argument that the impoundment was not designed for a trout fishery is true, but it has been decades since its creation and we have a long history of it being a trout fishery. A rare endangered trout fishery with some of the mst gorgeous wild reproducing brown trout in a major international city of over 5 million folks.

If an average home uses $150 a month in electricity or $1,800 per year times 10,000 homes that's $18mm. Keep in mind that is what we pay for electricity, they are selling to the grid for far less I imagine.

That's not a super impressive figure to me. 10,000 homes is not a big number to me. Especially when altering the schedule would not have that big of an effect on the numbers since generation would always exist at low flow.

Usually there is more to things than we know or realize and I know downstream water needs and flood control also play a part.

However, I think they could time releases in hot months to allow cold water to hit the lower end of the tailwater more frequently with a small economic impact. I also think they could combine a little sluicing at minimal flows to add oxygen at the top of the tailwater in the fall months when levels drop below state mandated minimums. Especially during brown trout reproduction times.
                      http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

Tell them to let her rip everyday from 7 am to 9 am and 2 to 510 pm every day for the rest of forever please.
                        I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          Trout management not being on the agenda can be changed I believe if pushed hard enough. Sure they are non native species and the argument that the impoundment was not designed for a trout fishery is true, but it has been decades since its creation and we have a long history of it being a trout fishery. A rare endangered trout fishery with some of the mst gorgeous wild reproducing brown trout in a major international city of over 5 million folks.

If an average home uses $150 a month in electricity or $1,800 per year times 10,000 homes that's $18mm. Keep in mind that is what we pay for electricity, they are selling to the grid for far less I imagine.

That's not a super impressive figure to me. 10,000 homes is not a big number to me. Especially when altering the schedule would not have that big of an effect on the numbers since generation would always exist at low flow.

Usually there is more to things than we know or realize and I know downstream water needs and flood control also play a part.

However, I think they could time releases in hot months to allow cold water to hit the lower end of the tailwater more frequently with a small economic impact. I also think they could combine a little sluicing at minimal flows to add oxygen at the top of the tailwater in the fall months when levels drop below state mandated minimums. Especially during brown trout reproduction times.
                          For the record, you don't get to decide whether trout management is an operational priority of the dam and powerhouse.
                          -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

Originally posted by I_got_skunked View Post
                            For the record, you don't get to decide whether trout management is an operational priority of the dam and powerhouse.

I don't think that's what big t wss saying. I think, rather, he was pontificating about the various options that could satisfy power generation, power storage, and this accidental trout fishery. I've not spent much time thinking about any of this, except when it impacts my fishing. But, I could imagine a rather decent economic impact of nurturing a metropolitan trout fishery. Possibly new guide services, and general travel to ATL.
                            Again, I know nothing of this and think about this at a cursory level, at best...

At the very least, I think folks should at least work to keep the fishery we have by reducing pollutants and such.

That's all from me...

Comment

Uh... I disagree. T is correct about the hooch being a vary rare fishery. There is a case to be made for conservation

Comment

Working...
                              X