Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Letís see your Jon boat set ups! Looking for inspiration!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letís see your Jon boat set ups! Looking for inspiration!

My dad has a 14í Lowe Lake Jon that he said I can have. Iíd love to throw a jet motor and oars on it. Motor up and float back down. I donít even know where to start as far as picking out a motor.

Iím also not wanting to break the bank on a 10k motor for a $1000 boat.

What are yíall using? Any suggestions for motors? Anyone have an old running outboard laying around they want to trade for some stuff that goes bang??

Check out tinboats.net for lots of ideas from guys that have done it.
    Last edited by Danny; 11-06-17, 09:38 PM.

Comment

If it's a riveted hull you will be limited to a smaller motor. Fully welded and you have a stronger rated hull. (There's a dude on the river with a fully welded 14ft hull running a 90)

My boat is a 15 ft fully welded hull with a 60. The motor was converted to a (45 hp) jet using an outboardjets conversion and she hauls. I'm still getting comfortable with the power honestly as my previous boat had a 9.9.

I'll post pics tomorrow but it is a pretty basic setup with front and rear casting decks that I am very happy with. You could throw a trolling motor and small outboard on yours for a few thousand and have nice little river boat.

Comment

I would suggest forgetting about the oars and getting a trolling motor.

A trolling motor will allow you to fish and navigate at the same time, and to have more fishing time when you go by yourself.

I fish rivers (Etowah and Coosa) often and you will be surprised how often you will have to correct your course while floating down stream.

Even though an expensive foot control trolling motor is nice you can get by nicely with a hand control motor. Get a motor strong enough to pull you up river for when you get a snag or throw your lure into a tree.

Also, My prop two stroke main motor has a shallow setting. Kind of a manual trim with only 2 setting regular and shallow. The shallow setting is nice for rocky sections of the river. My rule is to go 1 mph per foot of water depth up to 10 feet. So going upriver is slow in the shallow parts but I fish lakes and the deep parts of the Coosa to much to justify a jet.

Most men need at least 3 boats, but married men have to settle for one boat and make it work.

Comment

Best post!

Originally posted by ocerg View Post
          I would suggest forgetting about the oars and getting a trolling motor.

A trolling motor will allow you to fish and navigate at the same time, and to have more fishing time when you go by yourself.

I fish rivers (Etowah and Coosa) often and you will be surprised how often you will have to correct your course while floating down stream.

Even though an expensive foot control trolling motor is nice you can get by nicely with a hand control motor. Get a motor strong enough to pull you up river for when you get a snag or throw your lure into a tree.

Also, My prop two stroke main motor has a shallow setting. Kind of a manual trim with only 2 setting regular and shallow. The shallow setting is nice for rocky sections of the river. My rule is to go 1 mph per foot of water depth up to 10 feet. So going upriver is slow in the shallow parts but I fish lakes and the deep parts of the Coosa to much to justify a jet.

Most men need at least 3 boats, but married men have to settle for one boat and make it work.
          Lots of wisdom and good knowledge here. Best post currently by far.
          #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
          -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
          -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
          -PH

Comment

...check out fishmonger's rig...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

I am still learning how to perfect fishing solo on my Towee...it definitely takes time. I have oars and never touch them when fishing solo but do use my trolling motor frequently. Lately I have been trying to outboard motor to my spot and drop a drag chain to keep me in a zone where I want to fish. My 15hp Mercury is more than enough juice..my buddy has a 9.9 on his Riverhawk it also flies...obvious pros and cons on new vs used engine and depends on how handy you are....I had to screw my motor up a few times before I realized You Tube wasn't good for me and taking it to the shop was the best option
              Roswellangler

Comment

Originally posted by Counslrman View Post

Blessings!

Jimmy
                He sold the Minnow and has a fancy G3 now. But if you use the search function and look up posts by Fishmonger and the keyword minnow im sure a few images of his old v Hull are around. Ther was also a thread sometime back that was Hooch digs that there were a lot of boats from G3ís, gheenoeís and Jonís.
                I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

sigpic

Comment

This thing leaves a little to be desired in the looks department, but the front control setup is pretty rowdy.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/b...351586982.html

I couldn't help but notice in another of your posts that you say you are 300 pounds. Sitting up front would also help keep the boat balanced (and plane) if you went big on your motor. If you do go tiller steer and run into planing issues, throw a set of smart tabs on. I'm running them on my boat and it jumps on plane around 1/4 throttle. Without them I had to be just about WOT.

Comment

$1200 with controls. Convert to jet, run controls to the front seat, and ride out.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/b...385299860.html

Comment

If your boat from Dad id 1436, it might not have enough lifting surface for whatever jet would fit on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Counslrman View Post

Blessings!

Jimmy
                        Keep in mind that fishmonger is an engineer and thus the majority of us will never be able to perfect a set up like he creates. We can, however, copy it really closely.
                        If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. I kinda miss The Minnow...well, not really, but she does still have a very fond place in my memory and heart.

This was my listing for The Minnow in the Swap Forum, it gives a pretty good rundown of what is possible with even a small jonboat. Too bad Photobucket when to crap, there was a bunch of pics too.

"The Minnow" is a 12 foot Sears Gamefisher hull, I believe manufactured for Sears by Polar Kraft in 1984. I have had it for 10 years, I bought it from a neighbor. The boat and trailer both have a clean title, are registered and up to date, and have been garage kept for 10 years.

The hull is a 12 foot, riveted, semi-vee, with 2 bench seats. The outside is the original unfinished aluminum. The inside was refinished in 2010, it was repainted grey on the upper half, with grey Herculiner brush-on bedliner on the lower half, separated by black pinstripe accents. I have added a low, removable, plywood deck in front of both seats, so that you and your fishing partner don't have to stand on the ribs and the curved bottom of the boat.

The hull sits on a Gamefisher galvanized trailer. I have added vertical guides on the back of the trailer to assist with loading in current, changed out the winch to one with a strap instead of a rope, added a mid-trailer roller guide, changed out the trailer hitch latch and bow bumper, and changed out the bunkers in 2012. The wheels and tires were changed out in 2011, and the hubs were serviced in 2014. All the lights work.

I put a brand new Mercury 9.9 hp 2-stroke on it in the Fall of 2005. 2005 was the last year for 2 strokes from Mercury, most other manufacturers had already quit making them by then. That make and model 9.9 is really a de-tuned 15 hp, the only difference being a larger carburetor and a different, tuned exhaust manifold. I have changed out both of those parts, and replaced the stock reed valves with Boyesen dual stage Power Reeds, so she is functionally a 15 horse now. The motor is in good shape, and has been used regularly for 10 years. I have also added a Mack's River Runner prop guard, and a SE Sport Hydrofoil, to get up on plane quicker and prevent cavitation. The prop is a Turning Point Rascal cupped prop with replaceable composite hub (this saved my butt once, I spun a hub and was able to replace with a spare on the water).

The motor is mounted on a TH Marine Mini-jacker aluminum jack plate, to improve shallow water operation. The transom is beefed up with 6061-T6 aluminum angle, and the motor is tied to the hull with plastic coated aircraft cable. With this setup it can run wide open in about 16" of water, and putt putt through about 14". Today, as set up with the extras on the motor (the prop guard and hydrofoil cut 3-4 mph), it pushes the boat at about 19 mph with just me in the boat. I have a repair manual for the motor, as well as the original carb and exhaust manifold, and some specialized service tools.

The electrical system includes an Eagle FishEasy black/white fishfinder with water temp, a stern mounted MinnKota 55 lb trolling motor that was bought new in the Fall of 2014, and a bilge pump with a bench mounted remote switch. These are all fed by rear bench mounted terminals connected to a deep cycle marine battery that resides in a battery box, mounted in the bow for better weight distribution.

Other improvements:
                          -Anchor Buddy remote anchor deployment system, including hull mounted winch and pulleys, bow mounted anchor retainer, and 15 lb river anchor
                          -Quick release anchor rope cleat
                          -New 3.5 gal fuel tank and fuel line
                          -6 place rod holder, with cork and rubber padding added to the hull to protect rod tips and reels
                          -Bench mounted cork fly drying pads
                          -Rear swivel seat with beefed up support installed in the bench
                          -Elevated plastic grate on floor in back to keep stored items dry
                          -Bench mounted tool caddy to store tippet, glasses, etc
                          -Flush mounted drink holder in front and rear benches
                          -3 Gopro mounts affixed to motor and hull
                          -Transom saver for motor support while travelling

I can and do carry and store:
                          -Trout net, extra prop, and tool kit under the front seat
                          -Fuel tank, cooler, gear bag, large fly boat box, dry bag, camera box, motor oil, and large net behind the rear seat
                          -2 required life jackets under rear seat
                          -Knife and hemostats
                          -Bow rope and stern rope
                          -Paddle

I have taken this boat all over the Hooch, from Lula up to the big shoals above Belton Bridge, from the bottom end of Bowman's Island down to the top of Jones Bridge, from the bottom of Jones Bridge down to the top of Island Ford, on Bull Sluice lake, from Morgan Falls dam down to the top of Cochran Shoals, a little above and below Hwy 41, and from Campbellton Road up to Charlie Brown airport. It has been all over Lake Lanier, as well as Lake Seed and Stone Mountain Lake.

Well, that is my baby. I have had a million dollars worth of fun in this boat in the past 10 years. It doesn't need anything except a new owner that likes to fish. You can be on the water this weekend.

FM
                          The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

Working...
                          X