IF 11/26 Oh well, Beautiful Day!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF 11/26 Oh well, Beautiful Day!

So after four days of family, friends, football and food I needed a fishing break, so I headed out to IF to see if there were any trout left. Started great, picked up my first fish in 10 minutes crossing the 320 shoal, then another 5 minutes later - going to be an AWESOME day. Well, it was an awesome day to be outside and the river was in great shape, not too clear not too cloudy, but that was my tally for the day - 2 fish. But yesterday was like many days lately, just enjoy being outside and fly fishing was enough, number of fish was way down the list. Here is my bona fides......

I did run into Richard and Erik on the island, they seemed lost and a little confused as they were looking for trout, but only found a few. All the trout have migrated up to Bowmans Island for the winter, I guess I will have to drive further if catching a trout is important...
    RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Originally posted by RScott View Post
    I did run into Richard and Erik on the island, they seemed lost and a little confused as they were looking for trout, but only found a few. All the trout have migrated up to Bowmans Island for the winter, I guess I will have to drive further if catching a trout is important...
    Always a pleasure to run into you on the river and receive some knowledge and insight. I was definitely confused since my trips earlier in the week yielded a decent amount of fish, but on Sunday I had 4 bites and landed 3 in the first 30 minutes or so then not another nibble for 2+ hours.

Heres a gorgeous holdover or perhaps stream born that I landed yesterday

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Started dedicating my sundays to IF, but someone asked me to help them out at JB so went there instead peak release, again. Similar #s, one baby brown And very similar silvery looking bows. If you look close you can see the par mark spotting underneath the silver. I think these are the classroom fingerlings getting bigger so technically a holdover. It fought pretty well for its size.

Wonder if these have a higher survival rate than the stockers, perhaps introducing them at younger stage will encourage rainbow survival as people will take fewer home and they will have more time in the river to adequate themselves with survival and the conditions.

I figured out how to get Rscott to IF rich...just post pics, he'll get mad and show up to fish.

We are the music-makers,
      And we are the dreamers of dreams,
      Wandering by lone sea-breakers
      And sitting by desolate streams;
      World losers and world forsakers,
      On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
        Wonder if these have a higher survival rate than the stockers, perhaps introducing them at younger stage will encourage rainbow survival as people will take fewer home and they will have more time in the river to adequate themselves with survival and the conditions.

I figured out how to get Rscott to IF rich...just post pics, he'll get mad and show up to fish.
        I think it should give them a higher chance at survival by being introduced as fingerlings, since it's a good chance that if caught they'll be released. I figure by the time they are large enough to be taken home they'll be eating more natural patterns instead of powerbait and also staging in different areas than the typical stocker areas. On the other hand I'm sure those small fingerling bows also make a good meal for those browns to.

Comment

It was good to get out and rub shoulders with Rscott. That’s gotta earn me some kinda street cred??? Now if I can just get him to show me where all those big browns reside...

It was a slow day for sure. It didn’t help that I was totally out of my comfort zone too. I will say that I’ve got a lot of new water that I need to familiarize myself with.
          Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

Originally posted by erikclymore View Post
            I will say that Ive got a lot of new water that I need to familiarize myself with.
            I told you IF was pretty big, it's still another 3 areas that we didn't even fish Sunday and maybe even some more that RScott knows and hasn't shared with us yet

Comment

Originally posted by WPrich View Post
              I told you IF was pretty big, it's still another 3 areas that we didn't even fish Sunday and maybe even some more that RScott knows and hasn't shared with us yet
              Easy on all the RScott praise, he is old and an inflated ego could lead to health issues. IF is without doubt the place to be. You know it is good when there are fewer reports. I am sure RScott fishes it a few times a week but just doesn't want others to know how good it is.

He is always texting me pictures of huge browns he has caught there.
              http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

More RScott praise here:

It was a tough day everywhere on the Hooch. Just getting outside and in nature was plenty enough for most of us. Keep showing the beautiful scenery and well survive until they start hitting again.

Not all of us can be as talented as BigT and his record days every time he goes out.
                If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  Easy on all the RScott praise, he is old and an inflated ego could lead to health issues. IF is without doubt the place to be. You know it is good when there are fewer reports. I am sure RScott fishes it a few times a week but just doesn't want others to know how good it is.

An inflated ego would match my inflated blood pressure, cholesterol and waistline, but I do not get to fish as Big T states because I have to work. I am also really rusty now and only dangle boogers and squirmies so that cuts down on my catch rate, unless I am at the dam and there are so many fish up there they are easy to catch....
                  RScott

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

Doesn't IF really stand for "Infested with Fish"??? I quit going there because I noticed my skill level dropping the more I fished there. I had a hard time keeping the flies in the water. Like dang piranhas there!! I had to start going to the dam again where skill plays a big part in the days success.
                    I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

------Team Norvise------
                    sigpic

Comment

Heres how we solve this: IF Showdown. WRich and Rscott vs. Big T and Prowler. Rscott will put up his massive 401K and T and Prowler all the bonus money from unpaid claims throughout the years (This will go into a fund for Rscott once they cancel his SS benefits). The winners will fish the Dam for a year and and the losers exiled to the wade in the bowels of IF, Bull Sluice. Any proceeds will go to replacing Swampmans prop.
                      We are the music-makers,
                      And we are the dreamers of dreams,
                      Wandering by lone sea-breakers
                      And sitting by desolate streams;
                      World losers and world forsakers,
                      On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

That could be a most entertaining solution....
                        RScott

Comment

Well I had to find out for myself how good IF has been fishing. So since I had a day off and I new RScott was working and couldn't low hole me I headed to IF. Man Island Ford Rocks!!

Those were the small fish. Most fish were too big for me to hold in one hand for a picture.
                          http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

Poo colored water? I don't think so, I expected more out of you....
                            RScott

Comment

Great reports by all, I've been sick all week and hadn't been able to get on the river. Gorgeous fish "T" and Rich that looks like a stream born for sure.
                              "Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly."
                              ~John Gierach~

Trophies are relative

Comment

Working...
                              X