Boating on the river

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boating on the river

Hey guys, I was wondering what are the regulations concerning launching a jon boat on the river? I have a 14 footer with a 55 lb thrust trolling motor. Thus far I've only used it on Lanier. First question is, is this allowed south of the dam and if so what parks along the Chattahoochee have water deep enough to put a boat in? Also, I assume my trolling motor has enough power to go upstream against the current but are there any unforeseeable issues I need to be aware of? Thanks!

The regulations are the same as any other Georgia water way (registration, life jackets, etc...). The biggest difference is fishing at night is not allowed.

Depending on how long you want to spend on the water, I would suggest your first launch be Abbotts Bridge. You can go up from there with a trolling motor and get yourself to some shoals relatively easily that hold fish.

There are other boat ramps you can launch, but with only a trolling motor, I'd spend my time fishing instead of trying to cover ground.

Don't forget your $3 for parking!

Have fun and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by TPerrie View Post
      The regulations are the same as any other Georgia water way (registration, life jackets, etc...). The biggest difference is fishing at night is not allowed.

Depending on how long you want to spend on the water, I would suggest your first launch be Abbotts Bridge. You can go up from there with a trolling motor and get yourself to some shoals relatively easily that hold fish.

There are other boat ramps you can launch, but with only a trolling motor, I'd spend my time fishing instead of trying to cover ground.

Don't forget your $3 for parking!

Have fun and good luck!

Or sign up for the annual pass for 25 bucks. At this point you may as well wait till the new year though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
      -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Originally posted by troutbum69 View Post
        Or sign up for the annual pass for 25 bucks. At this point you may as well wait till the new year though.

$35 bucks now and it expires whatever month you bought it in. Mine currently states November 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by TPerrie View Post
          $35 bucks now and it expires whatever month you bought it in. Mine currently states November 2018.

Good to know. OP, do that.

"I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
          -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Thanks guys. My biggest concern is my trolling motor not being powerful enough and getting swept downstream. I've floated down the river on an inner tube and it seemed like I was standing still so it doesn't seem more than I can handle, but I'd rather seek the input of someone with experience!

Comment

If you launch at the Dam life jackets are required to be worn from there downstream to the HWY. 20 bridge. You cannot launch at the Lower Pool Park during a water release.

Comment

Because of various restrictive regulations and access issues, I've found it's best to launch in Lanier and motor down to the river.

Comment

Are Medlock and Settles options as well in addition to Abbott's? I'd like to hit all 3 if I can and pick a favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeBert View Post
                    Are Medlock and Settles options as well in addition to Abbott's? I'd like to hit all 3 if I can and pick a favorite.
                    Settles- no.
                    Medlock- absolutely yes!

I'll try to get signed on later and give you a full run down on the section between McGinnis Ferry and Medlock when I can get to a real computer and can actually type. (I HATE these dadblamed iPads!)
                    If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Medlock should be fine too. You'll have a struggle getting that Jon down to settles and its a little more swift up there. Watch the releases and what CFS you're dealing with if only having that troller power. I can do pretty well getting back up to stuck flies with a 55 Minn Kota on a 12V system in a small vessel, so you could probably get around the less pushy water okay, but slowly depending on your setup

Comment

Some great advice from everyone! I'm itching to get on the river instead of the lake but it's no fun to fall in a hole while wading in the winter. Thanks guys!

Comment

Personally, I would not launch on the river without an outboard of some sort unless the plan was to drift down to the next ramp....I've been caught by an unannounced release before above Medlock with just a trolling motor (yes it was several years back) and it's no fun struggling to the ramp as the flow increases, even going back downstream to where I put in....

Comment

Originally posted by fishtacos View Post
                            Because of various restrictive regulations and access issues, I've found it's best to launch in Lanier and motor down to the river.

How has that worked out for you after that first drop?
                            #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                            -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                            -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                            -PH

Comment

I don't think you are going to get too far upstream pushing a John with a 55 lb thrust. I use to push a 17 ft kayak with a 55 lb thrust trolling motor and it worked great. But if I ever needed a little help I could paddle to help up through faster water. But a john boat doesn't push nearly as easy as a canoe. I use to launch at McGinnis, Abbotts, and Medlock. I wouldn't try McGinnis if I were you. Abbotts and Medlock are possible but again I don't think your going to get too far. After one outing you will have a better idea of what your boat is capable of. And stay upstream of the ramp.

Comment

Working...
                              X